HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #1
Kimberly Lewis

Question reconstruction- deconstruction

A couple of questions;
I am being given the hard sell treatment by my surgeon for reconstruction of my breasts. I feel that being stage 3a and 7 lymph nodes involved makes having breasts just not important to me. Survival is the real issue. I have heard many in the waiting rooms talk about how unhappy they are with the reconstructions they have. Anyone with differing views?

Also they are talking about removing my ovaries, I think it would make more sence to just do a hysterectomy. I am post menopausal and don't need the equipment for anything and it would be one less site to worry about getting cancer in right? Wondered if that line of thinking makes sence to anyone else. Thanks, Kim
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Barbara2

Never was interested in reconstruction

At age 52, having breasts was not an important issue for me. But survival was, and the thought of more surgeries and possible complications from the reconstruction made for an easy decision: NO, thank you!!

I was stage 2b,a hairline away from 3a. Then finding out I was HER2+ made me even more convinced that I had enough on my mind, many decisions to make, etc. without having to deal with how to make my breasts "nice looking" again.

As for the ovaries, I still am thinking maybe someday I would like to get rid of them, also. I have had cysts on them from time to time. Why not just get rid of them?! And the hysterectomy, I'm not sure about that; would need to ask someone who could explain the pros and cons of that issue.

Good luck to you...
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
sally

oopherectomy vs. hysterectomy

I just asked my OBGYN yesterday why she only took my ovaries and not the rest. She said that a hysterectomy was much more involved, bigger scar, longer recovery and unnecessary. As long as you are not over weight and there are no fibroids and are in general good health there is no need to do the hysterectomy. I was dx at age 36. I got 2 lupron shots and decided to get my ovaries removed instead. That drug was wicked. I hope some of this helps.. Sally
sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
margaret

Hi Kim,
I'm 42 and luckily I have a very practical and supportive oncologist. I had a mastectomy 4 years ago and chose not to have reconstruction. My oncologist said it was a very good decision. That way there's no chance of having to deal with any complications.
I'm very happy with my decision.
Margaret
margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
kristen

Kim,
There is another type of operation for having your ovaries removed, its called a LAVH. Laproscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy. It's where they take it out thru the vagina. No big scar, I had 2 tiny ones. Just letting you know the options. Best to you in your decisions.
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:08 PM   #6
Lolly

Kim, I've had bi-lateral mastectomies with no reconstruction. I was Stage 3b, and felt I wanted to concentrate on survival and living, not more surgery. You CAN have reconstruction at a later, much later, date if you so choose. Some women who had mastectomies years and years ago are just now opting for reconstruction, so don't let yourself be talked into something you're not ready for, wait until/if it feels right for you. The women I've talked to personally who've had reconstruction are split about 50/50 on satisfaction with results and follow-up.

Also, my daughter had a hysterectomy last year via the LAVH procedure, due to many major health problems in the reproductive organs. It was amazingly easy. We had a hard time making her take it easy for the required time, as she felt great by the end of the week. So that is another option.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #7
Lyn
A Living Legend

Smile

Having a reconstruction has always been the dangling carrot for me. I had my mastectomy in 1998 and I was on a wait list for recon, when I finally got the date and had all the tests one final test thyroid threw it all out the window, because it was not stable I was a risk, well that was in 2003 and haven't been NED since so I can't get it anyway until I get a stable disease, can't get anymore stable that what I have, it has been in my remaining breast for 12 months now, but that isn't the stable he wants, so I just keep working toward it, I have pretty much stuffed shoulders so bras and prothesis and a no go, and I have a lot of neck aches as well so being lopsided with the remaining large breast is of no help to me, I just figure I don't want to spend the next 40 years struggling with my clothes, there is longivity in my family, my mum is 86 next months with absolutely no health issues, her fingers are a bit stiff as is one of her shoulders, so just a daily vitamin for her and a bit of asprin and calcium supplements, I wish I was that healthy, she also still looks young for her age, but before me there was no history of breast cancer, but I am 51 now and intend to be around for a lot of years yet.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:12 PM   #8
suzan w

no recon for me

I had a bilateral mast. June 2005 with no reconstruction. One of my best friends was dx'd with breast cancer in 1994 ( she died in 2002) and had a bilateral with recon. She had nothing but trouble with the reconstruction, infections, multiple surgeries, constant pain, AND...she later admitted, in retrospect, she believed that it led to recurrence going undiagnosed. Now, I know that lots of women (seems to me like the majority!) go for reconstruction, and I have seen first hand that many dr.s seem to pressure us to "conserve the breast" and "maintain our figures". Well...bull@#*# to that!!! It is an individual decision that we all must make. It makes me so angry when I see women making decisions based on what they think 'society' expects us to look like. It is a pet peeve of mine (can you tell??!!). Good luck on your decision...ask LOTS of questions...do research...but the bottom line is you will have to live with your decision and it will be YOUR decision. Best to you!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #9
Kimberly Lewis

Thanks everyone for the great answers - it is amazing how desperate I was to look "normal" at first and now I just wanna be me... and live! February 17th I will be completely free from ever having another mammogram and that is a good thing!
Kimberly Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:33 PM   #10
jsattaw

Hi Kim --

Good luck with your upcoming surgery. I did a mast with reconstruction in July -- will have my "exchange" surgery Feb. 15th to replace an expander with an implant. So far, I'm satisfied with how things have gone and my only "regret" is that I didn't do a prophalactic mast.

I was premenapausal with 95% ER+ so I had a complete hysterectomy in November. My oncologist and gynecologist recommended the complete hysterectomy since the oopherectomy would be abdominal anyway...might as well take everything was my thought. Even though it was an invasive procedure, my recovery went very smoothly and I've had some minor menapausal symptoms -- not much different than the chemo-induced. I'm also on an AI (Arimedex).

I think the key for me is to believe that my treatment course and medical decisions are the most appropriate for me - we're all individuals.

I'll keep you in my prayers that whatever decision you make will give you peace and confidence.

Jill