HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
RhondaH

Question Just for fun... "What do YOU do for a living?"

Maryanne sent me a private message and in it she asked me what I did for a living, but I forgot to answer her. I thought it would be kind of neat to ask the question to EVERYONE. This place is SO much like a family to me (one day we'll have to have a family portrait done and I want to know so much about you all (OTHER than HER2). I guess I'll start. I'm a property and casualty insurance agent AND underwriter (kind of like satan and an angel in the same body...both fighting each other). While the "agent" wants to write the home, the underwriter says NO! (good practice for dealing w/ my 5 yo son. We specifically insure everything other companies DON'T want (and if you could SEE some of these homes, you would know why they don't want them), BUT at a price...as an agent, the highest premium I quoted was $36k (not the houses worth, but the insurance premium)...I think I heard a dial tone when I told them the premium I love classical music (Vivaldi is my favorite) reading biographies (the last one I read was John Adams...not light reading, but VERY interesting), spending time w/ my 5yo son Tony AND like most of you, looking for answers and doing what I can to NEVER GET CANCER AGAIN!!!! Well, I NEED to get to bed. Goodnight.

Rhonda

Last edited by RhondaH; 02-20-2006 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: revision
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
michele u

Good idea Rhonda

I'm a RN in a dr's office. I've been there 18 years. Love it. I have 3 children,17 Brandon 12 Brady and 7 year old Bailey.

I love to go antiquing, go to auctions, go to Movie's, and LOVE to shop. My 17 year old Brandon loves to hunt. Last week he caught a bob cat in his trap! He shots about 40 racoons a month and sells them. Brady my 12 year old loves to play video games and hang with his mom (Ah), Bailey my 7 year old loves just being a kid and loves school (not for long) I have a new puppy (Tinkerbell) which was my 2 year survivor present to myself. she is a Poo-chon. 1/2 poodle 1/2 bichon. The kids love having an inside dog. she sleeps with me know and licks my face at 4 in morning wanting out! My husband work at a co-op spraying fields and raises 1000 baby pigs with my son.

Last edited by michele u; 01-18-2006 at 06:37 PM..
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Lyn
A Living Legend

When I am asked what I do I tell them I am a Cancer Experiment. That gets some blank looks, I haven't worked since my year of diagnosis, I was working with Geologists who travelled the world, and brought back all of their GERMS!!! with them. They would come in sick as dogs and cough and splutter into the air conditioning and then when they could draw breath they would light up a cigarette or a cigar depending who was in at the time. After my first round of chemo, I just said I am out of here, and ever since I have been in full time treatment, tests, research, anything but time enough to work, and I decided I didn't need the stress anyway because I think that is what gave it to me in the first place.

Love Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:20 PM   #4
Lolly

Well, in my former life (BC as I call it) I was a real estate broker along with my husband, and we owned our own small company. Then we decided to move back to the area where he grew up (just over the hill from the small community where my family lived when I was in grade school) so we bought into the country store in this very small (pop. 300 +/-) but very close knit rural town.We had gas, groceries, deli, and an ice cream parlor. It was fun but very physically taxing, and so when I was diagnosed we sold our interest and took the year off to get through treatment. The community held a huge fundraiser for us and raised over $18,000! We were so grateful for their support, words can't express.
My husband is selling real estate again, and after my first recurrence in 2001 I decided it was time for me to stop and smell the roses! So that's what I do now, garden and take care of my family, including our elderly parents. I love my life and love having time to spend with my family; like Lyn says this business is like a full time job anyway, so who has time to work?! I'd like to be able to volunteer more, but it's been hard to squeeze that in.

Also, my husband and I have been married 31 years and have two children, daughter 31 and son 26 who live in our town. My 2 sisters also live close by, as does my father and my husband's mother, plus cousins, aunts, uncles, and many great friends.

<3 Lolly

Diagnosed Sept. ’99 at age 45, Stage III B Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, ER/PR neg HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed in 2004 by FISH. LMR Mast., AC/T, 33 Rads, finishing tx for primary disease in summer 2000. Diagnosed Stage IV in January 2001, started Herceptin/Navelbine. RS Mast. in April 2002, participated in UW/Seattle vaccine trial in 2005, radiation (37) to right axilla in fall of 2006. Have had 3 recurrences to local and regional lymph nodes and skin, and distant lymph nodes, since January 2001. I have been living well with Stage IV disease since 2001. Herceptin has been the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy, with first Navelbine, then Xeloda and now Gemzar added to acheive remission or stable disease.

Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:48 PM   #5
jsattaw

Smile

I'm a university marketing professor -- am married to a marketing professor too (we met in grad school) and we have a 5-year old son, Parker.

We have many hobbies -- wine, cooking, cars, gardening and restoring our 1890's Victorian house.

My son and I have just started taking guitar lessons -- something I've wanted to do for a long time. I studied piano for 12 years and am now a very rusty pianist and co-director for a church cherub choir.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:01 PM   #6
TriciaK

A really good idea, Rhonda! I feel like you do about all these ladies, they are special friends and it is fun to see pictures and hear about family and life styles. As most of you know, I am semi-retired from private practice in psychology with my psychologist husband. He still works 2 days a week and we share some of his cases as we have always been full partners. My specialty was working with women who had been abused as children and I worked especially with multiple personality disorder, now called disocciative identity disorder. I still have one patient who has a strong need to stay in contact with me by phone and email. DID is a horrendous but very effective way a small child copes with unthinkable physical, emotional and sexual abuse, and working with it was extremely time consuming and exhausting, but also very, very rewarding. It is not a typical mental illness, but an incredible coping skill. Some of the ladies have become lifelong friends, which isn't the usual expectation when a therapist really tries to stay totally objective with patients. These are very special people, though, and they cannot be successfully treated without absolute trust between them and the therapist. It is interesting that several of my patients 20 years ago were sure they had somehow caused my cancer. We had to work through all of that and maybe I had to get well for their sakes as well as my own! Now I do a lot of writing, genealogy, art, scrapbooking and keeping track of 9 children, 36 grandchildren and twenty-plus great-grands. During my second mets I took time off to get well and my husband and I wrote a book called "Intimate Marriiage". I have had a full and rewarding life inspite of fighting cancer for 20 years! My heart really goes out to all of you, especially those of you with small children. Each year gives a little more hope to overcome this challenge.My thoughts and prayers are with you everytime I check into the website, which is at least once a day. Hugs, Tricia

Last edited by TriciaK; 01-17-2006 at 11:03 PM..
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:13 AM   #7
Susan

I'm a dental hygienist and work 3 days a week for a wonderful dentist! She has been a great support during these past 6 months. I have 3 kids, 20, 14 and 11.

Sue
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:25 AM   #8
Sherry in WV

I am an RN and have worked in many specialty areas, ICU, CCU, Liver transplant ICU, ER ect... before my dx, I was a transplant case manager. In June I will have been married 35 years to a wonderful man. 2 kids, 32 and 33. One Granddaughter, 13 going on 14 and another little one on the way.
I love to read, do crosswords and word game puzzles, love the ocean and anything to do with Scotland.
Sherry in WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:09 AM   #9
sassy

I am the Director of Financial Affairs for a small private boarding high school. Have been here for 24 years, first as a teacher of English and Business. Met my husband here, have two boys 13 and 15, live on campus and enjoy working with 130 teenagers every day. Teach 11/12 year old Sunday School and direct children's choir at church. Enjoy needlework, gardening, watching sports.

This is a wonderful idea--its great to know something about everyone.

Sassy
________
Novana Residence Condos

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:38 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:46 AM   #10
Sheila

I have been a Nurse for 33 years and have worked for Bechtel Construction for the past 12 years as an occupational nurse on various construction jobs, both military and nuclear...it has been wonderful as I have worked all over the country and have a binder of nursing licenses as you must me licensed by the state in each state you work practice nursing. Since being on Herceptin for the past 2 years, I have stayed at home...too hard to get continuity of care traveling the country and living out of state.
I have twin girls, 30 years old, a son 27 years old, 4 grandchildren Saul 9, Jasmine 9, Jessica 8, and Eden 5, and a 5th on the way due in August. I am also Mom to 2 black lab sisters, Sophie and Sadie who really keep me going.
My Michael husband works for Exelon, the electric utility at a Nuclear Plant.

I love riding my motorcycle, enjoying my grandchildren, sewing and doing crafty things. The one good thing that has come from my cancer diagnosis would be that I now take time to enjoy the little things in life...and appreciate every minute of life!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
Marlys

I too am an R.N. I graduated with a BSN in 1961. I worked in mental health for 10 years and in the operating room for 35 years. Some people have thought this was a strange combination but only if they did not know surgeons(smile)!! I am currently retired but still act as a consultant at my hospital. They believe I know things no one else knows & I try not to disillusion them. I have been married for almost 42 years, have a son 37, a daughter 34, 3 grandsons-9,7,&5,and a granddaughter 6. I love to fly fish, and play video games. The last makes me a winner in my grandchildrens eyes. I often wonder about people's occupations when they post about very scientific matters. Doing thuis is a great idea.
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #12
lu ann

I hope we can keep this thread going, as it is interesting learning more about each other.

I have tinkered in several different vocations, most of which were service oriented. I have worked as a cook, waitress, hairdresser, and bartender, all of which I received formal training. I no longer work outside of the home, but I am eager to find something that I can do on my own schedule, while being in treatment.

I attended a 'Party Lite' party Sunday and I am considering becoming one of their Sales Associates. I really need to get out of the house and be around people having fun. We could use the extra income.

August 1, I will be married 25 years to my husband, Tom. We have three daughters. Emilee will be 22, March 19th. She lives with her boyfriend, Christian. Carly will be 19, April 14th. She is attending school to become a Medical Assistant. And Julie will be 15, Feb. 3. She is the typical teenager, trying to push every limit she can. We have a dog named Breeze and a Cat named Millie. I have many wonderful friends and family members.

I enjoy watching funny shows such as "The 70's Show", "Everybody Loves Raymond", and "2 1/2 Men". I also like to watch police shows like all the C.S.I 's(Miami is my favorite), "Criminal Mind", "Law and Order", Etc.

My hobbies include gardening, photography, and video-editing on my computer. I'm almost finished editing my late father in-laws vacation videos and transfering them on to DVDs for my mother in-law.

I can honestly say, "Life is good, in spite of cancer".

Lu Ann

Last edited by lu ann; 01-18-2006 at 05:34 PM..
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #13
margaret

I'm really thankful for this website. It's fun to get to know more about people. My main job is to take care of myself and my children. It took me a long time to realize that it's really important to take care of myself (physically, emotionally and spiritually) and then take care of my beautiful children. I used to put everyone elses needs first and forgot about my responsibility to myself. Cancer gave me the 'wake up' call that I needed. I have to remind myself each day to put my health and welfare first and that no one else is going to do it for me.

I'm a single parent of two daughters, 12 and 14 years old. They bring me such joy and I'm so lucky to be their parent. I'm also a yoga teacher. I believe I'm on a spiritual path and I'm forever searching and seeking the truths in life. I've gained much wisdom in the past few years and I continue to look for freedom and joy in life. I really want to make the most of my life and live it to the fullest.

Margaret
margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:28 PM   #14
Berta

I just became Deputy Director of our local community mental health center on Monday. I'm a licensed clinical social worker and have been with the agency for 15 years, I've worked my way up through the ranks and just got the promotion. Wasn't sure whether to go for it, (you know, that fear of recurrence thing). Anyway, I decided I wasn't going to let cancer control my life so I went for the job I always wanted and I got it. I've been in mental health for 31 years. I'm married and have 3 children. They are all legally adults, 30,21 and 19. The youngest two are still at home. My husband is disabled due to heart condition but he does pretty well. We also have two miniature dachshunds.

Rhonda, I think this was a great idea. This message board has been a lifeline to me also
Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:08 PM   #15
Sandy H

I worked in a hospital sitting for 24 years as a secretary and office manager, took early retirement after my diagnose of IBC. I tell people I changed careers and became a full time IBC patient in 2001. Between appointments, exercise, eating healthy, getting plenty of sleep who has any energy left to work? I joined several breast cancer support groups, do phone support to other breast cancer patients. I help out a very dear friend (89 years old) take her shopping, out to eat, visiting, anything she needs done as she does not have a daughter so I am her granddaughter. I am active in a local church doing a monthly newsletter so I am called the newsy lady of the church as well as serve on the Deacon board. I am also known as the professional road runner because I am on the road so much. Some of this is for appointments. I have been married 32 years to a wonderful husband who is disabled from DJD. I have a single son age 27 years old and a 4 month old pug named Yoda. I enjoy traveling, sewing, cooking, knitting and crocheting. I am taking oil painting classes. I enjoy listening to Christian music. This sounds like I do a lot but it is worked around my energy level and how I feel. Some days I may not do anything. That is my story for now. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:17 PM   #16
al from Canada

OK, what's next....my picture??

Linda has been in education her entire working career. For the past 16 years she was department head of English at a number of different area high schools. Linda has always been the type of leader that she gave her team members the easiest classes and she always took the "sweat-hogs", the toughest to teach. That's were she found her strength and I guess; that's what drew her to me. You can draw your own conclusions about that comment. Linda went on long-term disability when she first became ill, mostly because she didn't want to spend 1 more minute away from her family.

I have been in the construction industry my entire working career, from carpenter to teaching construction technology to consulting. As well, some where along the line I picked-up auniversity degree part-time (in psycho-pharmacology; believe it or not) I am part of a consordium of 6 consultants, builders and building scientists in Ontario that work exclusively with residential track builders. Our mandate is to promote best practice through energy efficient construction, promoting EnerGuide for new houses and EnergyStar, to large builders. Through a process of value engineering, corporate re-tooling, trade negotiations, on-site training, and deliverable marketting and brand recognition advantages, we show them how to build smarter, tighter and better homes for approximately the same cost as their regular product. What was once an up-grade is now a standard.

I cut back my work hours dramtically when Linda got sick but struggle at keeping my work down to 2 days / week. I have lately done some work in Alberta and soon in BC ( these are the areas where my hours may spin out of control) but it's not much like work when I can bring Linda along.

Linda and I have a blended family of 5 kids and 1 granddaughter (1 year old next week). Three of the kids ( 22, 20, 19) still live here with us full time which makes for a pretty busy place as sometimes they are all "too much of a good thing". Once they are gone, we plan to sell our house and maybe move to our cottage on Lake Huron. In our life path, Linda and I have been extremely fortunate to have found eachother as we are still as deeply in love as we were 14 years ago when we got married. The problem is when you have a really tight bond with your partner, you tend to piss-off your friends and other people around you.

This cancer thing is our worst nightmare come true, as we often said, about once a week, that our combined greatest fear was one of us going to get sick and leave the other alone. We were to take early retirement this year....and had plans of travel, living in Vermont and skiing for 5 months. Well, we came to our senses and no one is going to leave anyone anytime soon. You hear about families falling apart because of stuff like this....it has brought us closer and we still plan for the future.

Great Idea,
Al
Old 01-19-2006, 05:55 AM   #17
kristen

Jack of all Trades, Master of None. That is how I would describe myself. I have so many interests that I haven't stayed at anyone for very long. (nothing over 15 yrs and still then always doing something on the side) Now that I am 2.2 yrs. out, I find myself searching for something to do that brings in money and lets me stay home with my kids or be available to them. My husband travels a lot with his job, we will be married 13 years on V-day. I work part time at the post office and take care of a small homes assn.

Right now, I am looking into organic gardening. I love being outdoors and love to garden, so I am trying to put the two together. I love inventing things. Have looked into patenting a couple. It's a long process, but fun. That is one of the items on my to do list....
I have 2 great kids. One boy turning 11 here soon and my daughter who will 10 later on in the year. WE love to travel and take trips as much as we can. I live on 15 acres with 2 dogs, 2 cats and 2 g. pigs. We used to have 5 dogs and a pony and rabbits and a real live big pig, Dante. He was a hoot. They all have gone on to the heavens.
I think my life path will lead me to other things that will benefit others. I have so many ideas that I just have to stop and start one and then the others will fall in to place. Life is good and interesting, always something new to investigate.
Good thread. Thank you. It's been interesting to read about you all.
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #18
RobinP

Red face

Wow, it's interesting to learn a little bit more about all of you. Let's see where do I start, let's make this simple. Currently, I am a full time author finishing a book on a subject that is all near and dear to us, breast cancer. As some of you know, I have RN behind my name and I am not sure if it means I am a roasted nut from having breast cancer or a RN, registered nurse. Some may agree with the former as I am nutty enough to have married a physician! Whoops, just kidding. Did I mention, the most important thing in my life besides surviving her2+ bc? Three sons, ages 7, 12, and 15 years old.

Last edited by RobinP; 01-19-2006 at 09:25 AM..
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:14 AM   #19
lexigirl

Before bc I worked in the dental field off and on for 16 years. Loved my job and my co-workers. I do miss them. Shortly after I was diagnosed I left the office. That was in Aug. 05. I am still going through my txs. and I am not sure if I will return to work any time soon. I am really enjoying being at home and not having to concern myself with working outside the home right now.

I am 37 years old. I've been married to the love of my life for 14 years and we have 2 beautiful kids ages 13 and 9. We like to go camping, dirtbike riding and weekend outings.

This was nice to read about each other. You all are such an inspiration to me. Thank you!!

Love,
Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #20
Montana

My husband and I built a campground with cabins near Glacier National Park, Montana in the early 90's after we left Houston. We still own and operate it during the season of May - Sept. We have 4 kids - #1 daughter is a heart/lung transplant nurse at St. Luke's in Houston; #1 son is in construction here; #2 son is a chef here; and #2 daughter is studying criminal forensics and will be moving to Houston next semester from NJ. We also have 4 grandkids and have been married for 30 years.

I was "fortunate" that I was diagnosed in late Oct. '04 and had surgery, A/C and finished up rads by June 1st so I didn't miss any of the season.

I see an awful lot of RNs listed here and it worries me for my#1 daugther. Do you think there are a lot of RNs because of their natural interest in health, and coming online here for information, or because of the circumstances of their work? There is no history of B/C as far back as 4 generations on either side of my family. I think mine was from HRT for 10 years.

Montana is a beautiful place to LIVE!!

edit: Okay, Lani's post about the nurse's nighttime work just answered by question.

Last edited by Montana; 01-19-2006 at 10:34 AM..
Montana is offline   Reply With Quote