HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2005, 06:36 AM   #1
Unregistered

Chest wall radiation and reconstruction

Hello to all! I will begin left chest wall radiation on Tuesday. Had double mastectomy in June. AC-T ended a week ago. Did anyone have reconstruction done after chest wall radiation that did not include the tram flap. I DO NOT want to remove tissue from my back,etc. I am hoping to just do tissue expanders, implants. Have been advised that the skin becomes "runined" from the radiation. Any comments would be appreciated. Kim - Minneapolis 43 years old. (Currently on Herceptin)
Old 12-04-2005, 06:01 PM   #2
Lyn
A Living Legend

Smile

Hi there, I had radical mastectomy in 1998 and continual treatment since. I was scheduled for reconstruction October 2003 but went into heart failure due to thyroid treatment so I have to wait. My skin on chest is really crappy and my recon surgeon told me so but he was going to do the DEIP and remomove from my stomach, since then I still see him regularly keeping in the loop. I had radiaiton this year to remaining breast and he told me he would not touch me for at least 12 months after radiation and then I would have to have stable disease. I was sooo looking forward to a tummy tuck with the reconstruction but still waiting for fate to raise its hand and let me get on with it. I have no chest or pectoral muscle on one side so I was to be one of his difficult cases but he did not think for one minute that he couldn't do it so fingers crossed for you. I knew one lady who was so thin she had to grow a tummy so she could be reconstrected and it went well for her, another had expanders but opted not to have nipple reconstruction because she wore a lot of T shirts and didn't see the point, no punn intended. My own cousin husband side 42 has just had a mastectomy reconstruction same time but she didn't have a tummb so the muscle was taken from the back and she was OK about it and said it all turned out beautifully, so I guess it all depends on who does the stitching/staples for the best result. Hope this helps.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
Alice

I have been told by several people that after radiation they can not do implants. They just don't turn out well.I will be starting rads tomorrow and have not been to see a plastic surgeon yet.Let me know if you find out anything different, I would like to know my options as well when I go in.For now I'm just concentrating on getting cancer free and will face the concequences concerning reconstruction at a later date.

Good luck, Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:31 PM   #4
athena453

Hi Kim,

I am about to start rads this week, after A/C, followed by TCH and still H for stage IIIC. I had MFR in May, just after dx and before chemo. I have heard various things regarding rads and recon. I have been told that the failure rate for expanders/implants for rads ladies is 25-50%. I have also been told by my rads onc that today's rads tx will not have an effect on implants/expanders/etc. I am young (27) and athletic, with a trim, athletic build, so the tram and diep are not options for me. I will pursue an SGAP if I am not able to get implants. SGAP uses tissue from the buttocks to recreate breasts in a free flap procedure. There are also several PS who are using Alloderm, a substance created from cadaver tissue, with great results.
athena453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
margaret

hi i just wanted to add that it is an option not to have any reconstruction.

i had a left mastectomy 4 yrs ago, and i'm happy i never had recon. i'm 43 and completely comfortable with being 1 breasted. i didn't like the complication possibilities and i was really tired of hospitals and doctors and procedures just to let you know it is an option
margaret
margaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 04:48 AM   #6
Unregistered

Smile

Believe me I have thought about not doing any reconstruction. Time will tell. I appreciate all who responded. I am just trying to investigate all options. Boy there are plenty. -kim
Old 12-05-2005, 06:04 AM   #7
kristen

Hi Kim,

Rozebud and I both had S-Gap surgeries and could not be happier with the results. That was our experience. We both went to different doctors in different areas of the country. The recovery was less time, the surgery was longer. What I liked is that it was me they were using, no fear of rejection, or having to go back in 10-15 years to have it replaced. Just an opinion form someone who had it done. It's a very personal choice. I am glad I waited til after to decide what I wanted and had time to look into all the options. Best to you, you'll know what's right when you see it.
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote