HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #21
norkdo

Re: My Wife Rachel Was Just Diagnosed With HER-2+ Breast Cancer (Please Help ...)

My two cents:
Yes to margin surgery. do not debate it. do it.
No to Nipple removal on good side. the grief over losing sexual feeling by removing both (which I did...cos i didn't even know I could keep that nipple or i would have) is huge. Even though the majority of women who have nipple sparing surgery (as did Angelina Jolie and Christina Applegate), do, in fact, end up losing all sensation there despite preventative procedures, it is her duty to try. Or she will regret it later. the loss of sex is just awful i find)
Yes to the port. I was sooooooo loathe to get the port. kicked and screamed. glad in the end. chemo eats veins.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #22
norkdo

Red face Re: My Wife Rachel Was Just Diagnosed With HER-2+ Breast Cancer (Please Help ...)

re radiation or chemo: I quote Jill and others above as they said the right thing: This is Her2...throw everything at it you can up front

Please tell your wife that this throwing everything you can up front at it will ease her mind, if god forbid, later, she has progression of the cancer. It's about her (and you, cos this is happening to you too) having peace of mind if/when it progresses. "I did absolutely everything suggested." That is the most important thing.

I say "ditto" when others send you massive love for your conscientious caretaking of your wife. My husband was the opposite, unfortunately. I told the nurses, for example, that I would have no problem self injecting the neulastin but to my surprise it hurt so bad that I only did it once. My husband works out of town and only returns three days a week. Nobody knew I couldn't self inject. I was too embarrassed to tell anyone i was not doing it. I ended up in hospital for almost a week as a result. So that is great that a person in her house, her spouse, can inject her.

Lastly, a client of mine with a b.c. diagnosis has a good husband like you are. He really impressed me when he said this: "Everyone talks to her with great advice and love and I am so happy about that. But.....this is happening to me too! This is my world, my wife, and I just couldn't go on if we get this wrong." I will never forget that. This is happening to you. As many above are trying to say to you.....we are here for you, too. Any time of day or night please tell us how you are doing.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
Old 07-02-2013, 04:40 PM   #23
norkdo

Re: My Wife Rachel Was Just Diagnosed With HER-2+ Breast Cancer (Please Help ...)

speak of the devil!!! (just saying to throw everything you can at it early on):"The impact of treatment in breast cancer is greatest in the early stage, before the cancer has spread to other parts of the body," said Hal Barron, M.D., chief medical officer and head, Global Product Development

This article is more relevant to your wife's stage one cancer than info on TDM1 which is strictly for stage four patients (phil's note, above)
:http://www.news-medical.net/news/201...st-cancer.aspx

Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #24
vlcarr

I can only add that I did TCH and am still here. As many wise ones told me on this board, it's not easy but doable. I have learned some people tolerate it better than others. The issues I deal with are not related to TCH. I'm sure you will make the choice that is right for you. Wishing you the very best outcome.
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #25
Jean

Hi Ben,
I responded on another thread you had posted on. On this thread you had details to Rachel's dx.
The clear margins are a must and now that part is already decided and behind both of you. You have to start thinking of this disease as a huge elephant...how do you eat an elephant?
One bite at a time. First of all you and Rachel have many important decisions to make. So, rest is important so you are clear headed. The stress of being newly dx. is horrific. So take it one step at a time. I was stage 1, also with node negative, very small tumor. Did I feel that I was safer than an women who had a larger tumor? NO I did not. The thought was that while catching this nasty disease early is a benefit - it meant very little to me. As many women before me had recurred - the first two yrs. are very important. (many of them were not given herceptin). I had TCH and it is doable. You and Rachel have to be prepared (mentally) for this fight. Yes Ben it is a fight. You both will fight to get Rachel to NED. (No Evidence of disease. )
Don't be more afraid of the treatment - than the disease itself.
I had asked Dr. Salmon (please take the time to look him up on the internet) as he is the dr. who researched and gave us herceptin. I had asked Dr. Salmon how many cancer (t cells) in a small 6MM tumor like mine. 6mm tumor is about the size of 1/2 of a green pea. His response was millions. Now consider it only takes one rouge cell. That answers all thoughts in my mind of treatment do or don't. Can you believe Ben that only a short time ago early stage women like me and your wife were not approved for TCH ? Sounds archaic doesn't it. That if you were stage 1 early dx. you were not permitted to have treatment. The theory was you didn't need it. This is a nasty aggressive disease. The unknown is the worst part of this journey. I can share and tell you that it is not as bad as you will imagine it. I did work while in treatments. But as I said I prepared for it. I would always have my treatments on a Thurs.
My Neulastra shot was the next day on Friday. Friday, day one after trt, I always felt fine. Sat./Sun. would feel tired, flu like symptoms.

It is obvious that you are a loving and supportive husband. That is going to help Rachel so much. I always said, I just didn't get breast cancer - my husband & son also did. The entire family is effected. I was fortunate that my husband and son were supportive & loving.

Once Rachel's surgery is behind her you will feel more secure.
Please feel free to reach out with any questions.
Lets us know how her surgery goes.
Saying prayers for strength for both of you.
Kind Regards,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 07-02-2013 at 10:00 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #26
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

All here have given you excellent advice, Ben. Becky, Nora, Jean, and every one who has posted honestly.

First -- Dennis Slamon (typo Salmon cause I know Jean knows well). I've met him in an exam room in Calif. My husband talked with him from NY when we weren't even patients. He is open, extraordinary and passionate about his work. If not for his tenacity, many would have died. Probably me included. I've hugged this 6"3" man (standing on the step of the exam table in short heels -- face to face) and I've thanked him for my life!

My 9 cm tumor was lobular vs usual ductal. Highly aggressive. Didn't know about HER2 or Herceptin in '95 when first dx. The standard of care back then was Adriamycin 4 and CMF (a combo) x 8. Followed by no more scans. Ever. Just every 3 mnth blood work, which was how "I" found my metastasis in '98. My tumor markers were still normal, so we learned we can't depend on TMs w/me.

An important lesson I've learned is that cancer is not our worst enemy. FEAR IS. Not easy, but let go of the fear. Sure, it's scary as all get out, but it's a process. One step at a time. Surrounded by great advisers, remember YOU are a part of the Team. We are talking about Rachel's life -- she is the one to ultimately make decisions, with your help and the wisdom of the experts along with Sisters who carry much experiential and gleaned insights. You learn a lot from the chemo nurses and the chemo patients over and above what the docs have to offer.

Fear and faith cannot occupy the same space. So I proceeded with love and KNEW I would survive despite all the spooky statistics. I BELIEVED because of this powerful Knowing I carried from my gut. Chemotherapy was my ally. My life line pulling me through rough waters. I did not hate it. I do not hate cancer. It is a stupid malfunction of the body. Yes, sly and evasive, highly aggressive -- just keep one step in front of it. Proceed with certainty that you are on the right path. If signs pop up that prove otherwise (w/the next set of scans and/or blood work), alter course. Move to Plan B.

I am a TH girl. T knocked me for a loop. I took massive supplements from an integrative oncologist in Manhattan that I believe helped save me. A part of the recipe for prevailing!

I envisioned myself far far into the future in vivid detail at a specific family occasion. I saw myself there, joyful and surrounded by those who are my beloveds. And I lived that dream 14 years later.

Diagnosed in '95 I did not have the advantage of Herceptin, or even the knowledge then of its existence. When I recurred in '98 as I've mentioned in a previous post, I went in search of Herceptin and remained on Herceptin alone for 10 yrs.

I had 3 separate independent radiologists read my scans after 8 mnths when I could no longer tolerate Taxotere. I never give up, but my body couldn't handle it, and that was obvious to my main onc who believed at that point there was no reason not to believe that H could keep me STABLE (NED). And so it came to be.

I've been STABLE since '99 (after 9 mnths of Taxotere and 10 yrs of H). I have now been off of H for 5 yrs. Still here. Almost 20 yrs since original dx.

A power port in the bra line is what I'd do knowing all I do at this point. My veins are not easily accessed. They're thin and roll over, collapse, blow out. The port was a piece of cake. 3 yrs ago I had my 12 year old port removed.

I absolutely agree that those closest to us actually go through the experience with us. My husband (now married 47 yrs) always liked to make things right for me in life. Fix things. If I complained about another day of rain, just saying, he'd respond, Well, there's nothing I can do about that. I wasn't hoping he could. Just needed to vent a bit.

So when I was dx, he was devastated. He felt so helpless. He did the laundry when I was too weak, he did the marketing, ran the errands, dealt with the insurance company SO I COULD FOCUS ON HEALING -- and he was happy to be able to contribute in whatever way he could. He came to every doc appt, every test, every chemo appt (since '95). It was me assuring him that I was going to be fine. He tried to believe that, but the cynic in him too often won out. I just kept smiling (yes I was joyful and serene even midst chem) cause I KNEW from my core that -- in the end the heroine lives! I'd had a dream!!

Many offered up prayers for me, lit candles, envisioned me in a radiant white Light -- in accordance with their beliefs. I accepted it along with all the love offered readily. I believed all that positive energy stirred up miraculous things.

When I first bought books all about breast cancer (mostly written by docs) I was appalled at the statistics. I closed those books. Gave them to my husband/lawyer who was hungry for such hardcore details, and I turned to the psychology section in the book stores, where I found books about spirituality and healing, outliving cancer and positivity.

Less than 15% survive what I had? Horrifying! But -- who are those 15 people who survive? I would be just like them. Shut out the fear which can eat away at your Soul and corrode your insides. I would be an example for my daughters to see how to face adversity, and remember me as starring down cancer with grace and conviction. I would be like an Olympic Gold Medalist, see the goal, work toward the goal, dream the goal, live the goal.

I would use the energy of love, compassion, generosity, kindness, caring for others, forgiveness and genuine gratitude for the many blessings I had. My mother with Alzheimers quickly taught me to humbly value the gifts we all take for granted. I felt lucky! Young, handsome, robust and successful Christopher Reeve had just fallen off his horse and was paralyzed from the neck down. Couldn't breathe on his own to speak.

I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself. I was blessed. I was grateful for these gifts, the gift of my wonderful family, my supportive husband who took on our battle as his own, for my daughters...

Every single day I talk to my body, believing in the mindbody connection since the '70s and living it a few x personally in the '80s. I read everything I could get my hands back then. I watched PBS specials about prestigious universities and hospitals that were conducting studies about the link. So from day 1 of dx I instructed my body, about 5 x a day, every day, till this very day -- HEALTHY AND WELL. NO MORE CANCER.

I KNOW that the body hears everything we think, say or whisper. Its job is to follow instructions it receives from us. So I was explicit in my Expectations and Intentions. I also believe the Universe hears everything we think, say or whisper. And it too responds IN KIND. Positivity begets more positivity. Whereas negativity just draws more of the same to our lives.

So we are incredibly EMPOWERED. We must KNOW this and embrace it, use it for our own wellness.

Rachel and Benjamin (such strong names!!) we are all with you now on your journey. We're invested in you both. So please keep us informed as you go along. We've all been there and are here to share and help one another. In Life, we're here to learn to love, to grow and evolve and become better than we were yesterday and to help one another.

My life was enriched by this unwanted reality, I must say. I am more than I ever was. Took a path I'd never dreamed of setting foot on, and I think you'll come to know what I mean by all this odd talk.

Stay strong for one another. Hold on to one another. Let your love bring you joy and peace. 2 heads are so much better at getting through this than 1...!! (And God blesses the caregivers!)

Love,

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #27
LeahM

Hi Ben,
You have received some wonderful advice here, there isn't much I can add to it....
So I will just add my prayers to the mix. I'm glad Rachel has you.
All The Best
Leah
May 10, 2012: BRCA 1,2 Negative
May 23, 2012: MUGA Scan EF 70%
May 31, 2012: B/L Mastectomy. 2/2 nodes removed and CLEAR!! Power Port placed. 2 Drains. 2 Expanders placed
June 5, 2012: Drains OUT! Ahhhh..
June 12, 2012: Final Pathology Report, .8x.3cm tumor. Micromets to 1 node .35mm under cytokeratin staining. Stage 2A. Onc says "you are lucky to have found this early"
July 10, 2012: Started 6 rounds of TCH with weekly H
Sept 5, 2012: MUGA 65%
Sept 20, 2012: CAT scan of brain clear!
Oct 23, 2012: LAST TC! AMEN! Continue Herceptin every three weeks until July 2013.
Nov 19, 2012: Port out!
Dec 5, 2012: Started radiation
Dec. 10, 2012: MUGA 65%
Dec. 13, 2012: Turned 40. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!
Jan 23, 2013: Last radiation. Told I am NED. Continue Herceptin every three weeks till July 2013.
Jan 29, 2013: Begin 5 years of Tamoxifen.
Feb 28, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. 5mm and 4mm nodules of unknown origin. Rescan in 3 months.
Mar 6, 2013: EF 60%
May 8, 2013: Exanders out, implants implanted...abd. lipo and fat moved up. Girls are looking good!
June 3, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. Previous nodules gone. New nodules (2mm and 3mm) found. Rescan in 3 months. So sorry I opened this can of worms...
June 11, 2013: EF 60%
June 25, 2013: Last Herceptin. wow...
Aug 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Xray to sore left ribs shows no disease or fractures.
Sept 9, 2013: CT of lungs shows no disease. Closing this can of worms and moving on.
Nov 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Severe Vit D deficiency, started on prescription Vit. D. Blaming chemo for this.
Feb 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits. Graduated to twice yearly onc appts.
Oct 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Bone density scan fine. Bone scan and xray of ribs shows "something" 4th right rib. Could be healed fracture but if it is healed why does it hurt?
Nov 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Follow up bone scan clear.
Feb 2016: Syncope! WTF? Dizzy too. Brain scan clear, ECHO EF 60%, Halter Monitor shows heart is fine. Viral? I will never know.
June 2016: Tumor markers WNL.
Oct 2016: Stabbing pain right eye. Long story short, trigeminal neuralgia.
Nov 2016 Brain MRI clear.
Jan 2017: Tumor markers WNL, still getting weird pain right rib area, and sometimes right upper chest. Xray x2, Bone Scan, Breast MRI all clear. Scar tissue? Rads. I may never know.
www.onmywaytosurvivorhood.blogspot.com
www.thechemobag.com
www.facebook.com/thechemobag
LeahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #28
Jackie07

It seems to me your wife's oncologist is following standard treatment guidelines. Radiation of the area could affect vital organs (heart/lung/...) beneath it. It's been six years since my double mastectomy. I did not 'preserve' anything. As a matter of fact, after the BRCA gene test and another family member going through HNPCC-related cancer treatment, I did away with my ovaries and uterus as well.

My husband and I have found ways to enjoy our intimacy more than ever before...

And I've been feeling healthier more than ever before ...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #29
CoolBreeze

Hi there.

I don't normally do this, but I want to recommend my blog, http://www.butdoctorihatepink.com. If you go back to the first pages, I describe my entire experience from mastectomy through TCH (and more). She may be interested in reading the TCH sections - I started that chemo December 2009. I did the same initial treatment as your wife has been proposed, so she will get some insight as to what to expect from one woman's perspective.

I am a few years past TCH now but I didn't find it too difficult a regimen. I guess I should go back and read it to find out if I really felt that way at the time. I think TCH is standard of care so I'd stick with that, it really isn't that awful and HER2+ is sneaky, as I subsequently found out. (I am now metastatic).

I did not have a port and I'm glad I didn't. I have strong veins and it was easy to access me. I have since had a port placed and dislike it very much. I am glad I made the decision to do my first year without a port. Most people feel differently than I do but one thing is I am very thin and I think a port is a different experience when you are super skinny. It sticks out about 2 inches from my skin and snags on stuff and just gets in the way and hurts. I've had more toxic chemos since that made it a necessity so I had no choice.

That's a minor thing. The question about the surgery - make sure you research the odds of contralateral breast cancer. It's extremely rare and because of that, I did a unimastectomy. While cancer has appeared in other parts of me, it has not in my other breast. I would stay away from unnecessary surgery myself, but there is also a mental health aspect to it. Some people just feel mentally they need to remove even the smallest risk.

I don't know what is left on your wife so I am just going to tell you about me. I am also glad that I still have one breast as I have had nothing but back and shoulder problems since the mastectomy. I also have phantom itching in the mx side that has driven me crazy. I also am glad I have some feeling in one side as the mx side has been numb for four years. So leaving one breast has been a good decision although esthetically it is less pleasing.

I am just sharing my experiences and thoughts. Everybody will come to their own ideas and conclusions based on their own needs and the information they gather. There is no right or wrong answers, unfortunately, there are only shades of grey and you will do the thing that you find the best based on what you know.

It is good that she is early stage and I am sure that everything you do will be successful and she will stay that way.

Best of luck to you all.

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #30
Kkmom

Ben,
First of all, what a great husband and partner for your wife in this journey. The regimen you just outlined sounds identical to what I just finished back on May 22. The only difference I had a lumpectomy back in December 2012. My cancer was estrogen +/progesterone + and Her2 neu positive. I have the port (great device - even though I cried the entire time on the day I had it placed), chemo - TCH and I am now about halfway through with radiation.
I did lose all of my hair (but is now slowly growing back), my fingernails are funky looking and yes - as my nurse put it, "TCH is not the hardest chemo drug, but it will kick your butt" - she was 100% correct and then some, but as so many of us have - I made it through.
Even though it is overwhelming right now, you seem to be sorting it out and will be well informed to make the best decision. This discussion board is also a wealth of information and a source of comfort.
Kkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #31
William B

Benjamin please know that my thoughts are with you and your wonderful wife Rachel. You have definitely come to the right place. Right now you have a lot to adsorb and I know it can be quite daunting. But the fact that you’re on this site tells me that you’re up to the task. Try to make all her appointments take notes and ask lots of questions. I live in Maryland please don’t hesitate to ask if there is anything I can do for you.
5/13/2010 start chemo 6 cycles
altto study lapatinib
2/2/2011 diagnosed stage 4
mets lungs chest neck
2/4/2011 start herceptin/Ixempra
William B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #32
norkdo

I have bookmarked this thread as I am so proud of all my sisters on this page. My heart is full to bursting when I read with pride the advice and support on here. Wow, wow, wow to jean and coolbreeze, jackie07, and andi and all here.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #33
starwishn2

Hi Ben~
I had TCH (finished T&C in Dec). Taxotere was a lot harder on me than the Carboplatin. I am still having Herceptin until August 15 - that will be 17 treatments. I had a double mastectomy and did not require radiation. I also have a port - which I have been very grateful to have. Previously, (before the port) when I have had infusions, the nurses have to run the drug slowly as the drugs were so hard on my veins. The port makes it much easier. People have told me that can't even see it - and at this point it wouldn't matter to me if they could. Regarding side effects - each person is so different in how they handle each drug. My doc told me that I had every "weird" side effect that Taxotere could offer. But there are people on this forum that had very few side effects from Taxotere. I did work full time (other than a day or two following my infusion). I would get a Neulasta shot the day following chemo. My oncologist recommended taking an Aleve and a Claritin at the time of the shot. I didn't have the deep aches that many have had from Neulasta.

Sadly, this isn't a journey that any of us wanted to travel BUT you and your wife will get through it. My husband has been the greatest support for me this past year. Your support will mean so much to your wife (I'm sure it already does). Best of luck to both of you.

Jeri
ITP playing nice
Diagnosed 3Jul2012 BC

2 cm - Grade 2 - Stage IIB
HER2+++

ER+/PR+
bilateral mastectomy 20Jul2012
Metastasized cancer found 1 lymph node
expanders placed during surgery
TCH chemo "cocktail" started 24Aug2012
every 3 weeks - 6 treatments
Herceptin - 18 treatments
LAST treatment Taxotere & Carboplatin 7Dec2012 -yay!
Continue with Herceptin 26Dec2012

Started Arimidex 01Jan2013 (for 5 years)
Surgery to remove expanders/reconstruction 18Jan2013
Infection in left breast from reconstruction/infection in most nails - SO many meds! 22Feb2013
Left implant not playing nice.... might need to remove and try again - blah! 04Apr2013
3Jul2013 - one year since diagnosis - booo cancer!

15Aug2013 LAST chemo infusion!! YIPPPEEE!!!
13Sep2013 2nd reconstructive surgery.. the FOOBs are looking good!

starwishn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #34
linn65

Ben,

It is just beginning of your journey so be ready for the ride of your life!!

Because my tumors were large in size, in my lymph nodes bases on physical exam my treatment was a little unique it seems. I had TCH before surgery to see how it would effect the cancer, so I was a walking laboratory which BC doctor thought how cool!! At the time I did not think anything was cool about BC.

I was told my a couple doctors sometimes people with for example stage 1 cancer do not hit the cancer hard because it isn't as aggressive. The doctor told me because we have been just as aggressive as the cancer she felt better results in the long run for me vs. a less aggressive cancer and less aggressive treatment.

I say you want the BEST long term results for you and your wife so hit it as hard as you can with your treatments!!

I have 1 son and he is the love of my life and if it was his life in my hands I would do all treatments available to him which will SUCK this year but hopefully pay off for the next 20 years.

Side effects are temporary cancer can kill you! I say TCH would be the best way to treat the cancer and then if anything would happen you will have no regrets in thinking I jsut did the TH treatment I should have done the TCH.

Hope this all makes sense!! And I am so sorry for the journey you are about ready to go on. Soak up every good day you have ahead and if it's a rough day the next day remind yourself its a new day!!
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #35
msmanuf

My question is I had 6 mo. of TCH and 6 mo. of Herpecin. My oncologist said the two totaled would count as having Herpecin 1 yr. total. Is this correct?
msmanuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #36
linn65

For me yes the two together will equal a year!
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #37
bmorr7

Hi everyone,

Some good news - Rachel went back in last Friday for another operation to get clear margins. There was DCIS at the lateral margin on the right mastectomy so Dr. Chang (UCLA) went back in and clean that margin out and found no abnormal cells. So she has cleared us to move onto the next stage of Rachel's care - chemo.

The plan is now to start chemo Monday July 22 and our oncologist is recommending TCH which sounds like the protocol used by most of the oncologists at UCLA including Dr. Slamon. I've seen that other recommend PH (including Dr. Edith Perez at Mayo) as a similar protocol with less side effects but our team here says TCH is the first choice. Rachel would get six rounds of TCH with the Herceptin continuing for a full year.

We're also expecting to hear about the BRCA results tomorrow ... fingers crossed.

Wondering what others think about the chemo regimens and whether TCH is the best first option. Our oncologist says it's safer than the older regimen (that including Adriamycin) but still very effective.

So much to digest ...

Ben
bmorr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #38
Bunty

Good news Ben! TCH is also the usual protocol given in Australia as well, and gee, I wish it had been available when I was first diagnosed nearly 13 years ago. The stats coming through now on this combo of TCH are very good in terms of survival after 8 years. There's been a number of members here who have recently celebrated 8 years clear, and many were on the TCH regime when first diagnosed.
Best wishes
Marie
June 2011 3cm x 4cm liver tumour. Started Abraxane and continue with Herceptin.
November 2011. Finished with Abraxane, continue with just Herceptin. Liver tumour now reduced to 15mm x 12mm. Lung tumour now 10mm x 0.5mm
February 2012. Scans show everything stable, and brain scan clear.
July 2012. PET/CT scans show I'm in remission - no active cancer!
]Dec CT brain cllear, lungs stable, liver tumour has increased to 20mm. PET scans showed active liver met and active lung thinglet, and possible bone met.
Jan 2013 recommence Abraxane, continue with Herceptin.
June 2013 finish Cycle 6 Abraxane, continue with Herceptin. 30% reduction in liver tumour, everything stable.
December 2013. CA15-3 on rise.
February 2014. PET and CT scans show single liver tumour has increased to 35mm. No other activity.
March 2014. Planned for SBRT for liver met, but couldn't have treatment as tumour too close to bowel. Continue Herceptin.
April 2014. Surgeon advises that I am a good candidate for liver resection, so will have operation early May (after camping holiday). Tumour now 44mm x 29mm.
May 7, 2014. Two liver tumours surgically removed. Third of liver removed, and gall bladder. Am I NED?May 2014. Pathology of tumour shows it's now ER+ (95% staining).
June 2014. CA15-3 has decreased to 18 from a pre-surgery reading of 59!
June 2014. Started Femara, continue with Herceptin.
July 2014. Stop Femara due to severe Osteoporosis. Commence Tamoxifen, continue Herceptin. Waiting to hear if I can have Aclasta infusion.
August 2014. CA15-3 has decreased further to 12 - YAY!
October 2014. Aclasta infusion for Osteoporosis. November 2014, CA15-3 decreased to 11. Scans of liver all clear, something new showing up on lung, but just watching at the moment.
November 2015. Started SBRT on solitary lung met.
November 2015. Bone density scan showed very good improvement so back on Femara - yay!
December 2016. 6 treatments of SBRT radiation on lung. Seems to have had some effect.
June 2016. CA15-3 still stable and low at 9.
June 2016. Started subcutaneous Herceptin replacing infusion.
Jan 2017. LVEF dropped to 46%. Stopped Herceptin.
Feb 2017. Started ACE Inhibitor and BETA Blocker. Still off Herceptin.
Aug 2017. Two new mets - Portacaval lymph node and mediastinal lymph node.
Aug 2017. Blood tests show extremely elevated liver enzyme levels. Many tests to investigate.
Sept 2017. Portacaval lymph node blocking liver bile duct causing liver enzyme and Bilirubin problems.
Oct 2017. 8cm stent inserted into liver bile duct. Procedure caused pancreatitis, and hospitalised for 3 days. Liver enzymes improving rapidly.
Nov 2017. Commenced 4 weeks of radiation on Portacaval lymph node. 5 week break before chemo.
Jan 2018. CT scan. 11 new small liver mets, and new superclavical lymph node med.
Jan 2018. Start Kadcyla. CA15-3 426.
Apr 2018. First scans since starting Kadcyla. All tumours reducing. CA15-3 dropped to 30 from 426.
Dec 2019. Still on Kadcyla, but two small brain mets have been treated in the past month with SRS. CA15-3 stable for 12 months at 11.
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #39
CoolBreeze

I think TCH is standard of care now; it is easier on the heart that an adriamycin and herceptin combo. Your wife should do well on it and like many here say, it is quite do-able. To be honest, I had very few side effects on it. I worked, went on field trips with my kid and did my normal routine. Towards the end I was pretty tired and achy but nothing terrible. I drove myself to every appointment, and continue to do so. It is not like the movies show, that's for sure; I wasn't puking and sick. I am in the norm although of course, there are always exceptions.

The worst part of the treatment was the nasty taste changes. She'll have to find stuff she likes to eat on it - I found I could still taste sugar so I became a cupcake-aholic when I'd never eaten sweets or cake in my life before. Lemon drops and jolly ranchers are also helpful. Constipation is also the other main side effect so she'll need to watch for that - get Senekot S which has a motility enhancer as well as stool softener. Of course, she should drink lots of water and a high fiber diet will help with the constipation. She is very unlikely to be nauseated but they will give her anti-nausea drugs and I recommend she take them the first few days after chemo until she knows she'll be okay. To be honest, I have been on seven different chemos now and only one even made me slightly sick, and that was Gemzar and she'll probably never have to take that one <knock wood>.

Oh, and I'm not a big natural supplement type of person but I did find that l-glutamine helped with neuropathy. If she starts to get that tingling in her fingers and toes, it's worth looking into. There have been studies done at UCLA that shows it can help, plus it's good for your gastro tract. You dissolve the powder in cold water and take it a few times a day, on the day of chemo and a couple days after. Like I said, I've been on a lot of chemos and I did start to get neuropathy but it went away after I tried the l-glutamine. Of course, ask your oncologist before you take anything.

Good luck to your wife. I think she's going to find it much easier than she expects. Losing your hair is the most difficult part but it grows back as soon as chemo is over (herceptin doesn't affect hair) and it'll be over before you all know it.

*hugs*

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #40
bmorr7

Hi everyone,

Rachel starts chemo tomorrow (six rounds of TCH). She's a bit nervous but feeling strong. Her oncologist prescribed Decadron 4 mg twice today and twice the day after chemo. Zyrtec daily and Neulasta to be given Tuesday. We're doing a lot of praying and appreciate others who are doing likewise.

Best

Ben
bmorr7 is offline   Reply With Quote