HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #21
snolan

Re: Reconstruction

Just joined this group. I was dx 6/8/10 with DCIS, elected to have bilat mast with reconstruction. When I got the path reports back after surgery they found the HER2+ stage 1 and the DCIS was up agaisnt my skin and to my chest wall. What was supposed to be a quick in and out, as far as C treatment goes, has now turned into a longer journey. My PS advised me to take out the expander on the L since I now had to have radiation but my radiologist recommended keeping it in. But when the drains came out the L side got infected. The PS worked with me as best we could to save it with multi doses of antibiotics and draining the fluid but to no avail we had to take it out. I now have to wait 6-12 month (PS recommends 12 mon) for reconstruction. I have elected the lattissimus flap since I am a very active person I do not want to have my abdominal muscle removed. I am through my chemo and radaition. I will finish my herceptin in Aug. I know I could go to Houston to have just the skin flap done but with young kids and the trouble I have had I just want to stay in town. I have had only good advice from all my Dr. My PS has been very patient with me and has tried to follow what ever I have have asked (within reason of course) to try to keep me away from the more invasive surgeries. I still have the expander on the R which will be finished when we do the L.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #22
Catherine

Great replies and insight. Just a little note about me. I chose not to have reconstruction, because at my initial DX at age 58 and the year of2006, my oncologist said that radiated skin did not do so well with reconstruction. I guess I never gave it much consideration after that. Yes, I miss my boobs, but I am still very happy with my decision. I also, do not like surgery etc.

All the best in your decision. There is a great thread here someplace about people's feelings pro and con...a few years after their decision.

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #23
Margerie

There are muscle-sparing procedures that use abdominal or upper thigh tissue (DIEP, SIEA and TUG) Lat flap is not muscle sparing. I had bilateral DIEP a year after diagnosis. I had to travel 4 hours and stay in the hospital for 5 days. My three kids were very young at the time. It took 2 good weeks before I was able to drive, etc. But I wake up every day thankful I took that route. It was a small price to pay for my current quality of life.

I know there is not a one-size-fits-all reconstruction choice, and some women do not want reconstruction at all, but I really encourage women to explore ALL the options that are available. This website is excellent and it includes patient testimonials.

breastreconstruction.org

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #24
Margaret Eleanor

I went to UCLA two weeks ago to meet a fourth plastic surgeon. I like him alot. He has more experience than any of the PS I've met so far and doesn't make a decision against DIEP before actually looking at the veins and arteries. I meet with a breast surgeon next week. Please keep your fingers crossed that the three of us (me, PS and BS) can get together on July 26th. The date is important because it will allow me to be recovered enough to come home for my daughter's first day of 7th grade...I don't want to miss anything!
Margaret Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #25
Elizabethtx

dberg: I am in San Antonio too! I did call PRMA and they book a few weeks out. It looks as though I will not be able to have the surgery this summer. Maybe that is for the best as I have too many uncertainties rolling around in my brain. I think I will take the advice of Mary Jo and give it time. I don't need to be in a rush and need to feel at peace with my decision. Thank you for all your words of advice!
Elizabeth
3.2 cm 2/18 +lymph nodes
Stage 2b; E+/P+/Her2 +++
Nottingham score grade 2
Ki67 30%
3/2010 A/C 4 DD/2wks
5/2010 Herceptin/Taxotere 4D/3wks
8/2010 Herceptin until May 2011
Tamoxifin 20mg
9/2010 RAD 34 treatments
Pet scan Aug 2010 clear
Port removed July 2011
Bone scan, chest MRI 12/11 clear
Vaccine trial began Oct 2011

Elizabethtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #26
BonnieR

Wondering if we have a "DEconstruction" thread somewhere? I have a friend who would like to hear from others. Thanks!

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #27
vlcarr

Just wanted to share that I'm 6 weeks out from DIEP on my right breast. My surgeon wanted me to wait a year from radiation before seeking recon. I must say that at the time I really thought I would not even be interested, but changed my mind during the year waiting period.

My remaining breast is not huge but is large enough that the fake one I had to wear really bothered me. It was hot and heavy in order to match my other breast. I also had a caved in area in my chest so it really impacted what I could wear and I decided I wanted it fixed.

I am extremely happy I decided to do DIEP. I was in the hospital for 6 days, around 3 in ICU. The first 24 hours they came in every hour on the hour and listened for a "pulse" in the transplanted tissue. I was so happy it lived. The recovery wasn't a cake walk but doable. In addition, the bread basket all the women in my family have is gone! My surgeon did a wonderful job. I will have another outpatient surgery in 3 months to lift the left breast and make them match a little better. My surgeon said they would be sisters, not twins, but the outcome so far is much better than what I expected.

I was also concerned because I have lymphedema--it didn't make it any worse. Too bad that can't fix that with surgery. I haven't posted in a while but wanted to share this since I'm only 6 weeks post surgery. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Wishing you the best in making your decision.
Grade 3
Sentinel Node Biopsy-speck present in 1 node
Completed 3 month clinical trial of weekly Herceptin and 1000mg Tykerb daily
Tumor no longer present
Right mastectomy and lymph node removal 09/25/09
No cancer present at time of surgery, none in lymph nodes
Start TCH 10/15, every 3 weeks for 4 months followed by radiation
Finished chemo 01/28/10-YEAH!
Herceptin every 3 wks until end of June
Radiation begins 03/01, 6 1/2 weeks
Radiation complete--Yeah!!
Developed lymphedema after radiation
In hospital for 4 days with pneumonia:(
Herceptin done! 06/24/10
Port Removed 07/08/10
Still in PT for lymphedema and mobility issues
DIEP Reconstruction 05/11
I can be changed by what happens to me, but I refuse to be reduced by it~~Maya Angelou
vlcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:36 AM   #28
fauxgypsy

I am considering DIEP because it doesn't involve muscle. The length of the surgery and the long recovery are an issue for me. I am just not sure if I am willing at this stage to give up six weeks of my life (in the summer)and undergo the pain of the surgery for this. I had so many problems after my mastectomy that this scares me. On the other hand I am so tired of a hot prosthesis and would like to be able to wear whatever I want. I has a Diep scheduled but that is another thread,

Who are the surgeons in NOLA? I have been lokking and I cam across a group there that sounded good.
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #29
Jaimieh

The NOLA group that you most often hear about when it comes to Diep or free flap is The breast Restoration Center with Dr. Sullivan, Dr. Dellacrose and Dr. Trahan. I went there for my reconstruction (hip flap) and had a fabulous surgical experience. Here in MD where I live I was told 2 seperate surgeries just for Stage 1, 6 weeks apart and that they might be able to get me to a small B. Dr Sullivan just asked what size I wanted to be and that is what he was able to achieve . I love my new girls, my scars are there but flat and very symetrical. I know it sounds silly but I worried about things like that.

If you have any questions I would fill out a consult form (it cost nothing) and NOLA would be happy to talk to you. They have Katie who takes care of all of the traveling and it really is a LOT easier than it sounds.

Oh besides cosmetically results, I was a double that was done in under 5 hours.
no angiolympathic invasion

Bi-Lat. Mast. 1/8/09
Exchange scheduled for 6/17/09
Lost implants due to unknown reason :(

Hip Flap 1/26/2010 in NOLA :) LOVE EM'

TCH x6 (6 done and I am hoping to never do it again )

Well so much for never...
Local recurrence May 25,2014 is left over breast tissue.
April 2 , 2014 lumpectomy
April 28, 2014- June 9, 2014 start AC x 4
Taxol x12
Perjeta x 6
Herceptin x 18
And 33 rads just for fun. NOT!!!
Jaimieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:03 PM   #30
fauxgypsy

Thank you. I had so much pain from the mastectomy that the idea of more surgery scares me. It helps to hear others stories. I will fill out a consult form and learn more.
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
Old 07-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #31
Jaimieh

I had such minimal pain and really the only pain that I had was from the JP drains. I was shocked and expected to be in a lot of pain but I wasn't. I had more tightness and low blood pressure than anything.

Oh one other thing that I love about St. Charles is that they listened to me as the patient. I told them what medications had worked in the past and they used them. If they wanted me to do something different they would ask and I got to feel like I was in control which I didn't have at my local hospitals.

Bi-Lat. Mast. 1/8/09

Taxol x12
Perjeta x 6
Herceptin x 18
Old 07-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #32
fauxgypsy

Other women have told me that they experienced little pain. I hurt so bad I could not move. The surgery was so much worse than the chemo. After surgery I developed something called cording. It took months for it to go away. Then lymphedema. A wonderful lymphedema therapist helped me get past that.

Last edited by fauxgypsy; 07-14-2011 at 07:46 PM..
Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #33
Jaimieh

Oh the mastectomy hurt like crazy but I was considered a delay reconstruction because I lost my implants 4 months before my flap surgery. The flap while it wasn't a picnic the end results are worth those silly JP drains.

Bi-Lat. Mast. 1/8/09

Taxol x12
Perjeta x 6
Herceptin x 18
Old 07-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #34
fauxgypsy

I am going to look into it further. NOLA is about 6 hours from my house.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #35
Tracie

Does anyone have any experience with a latissmus flap? I'm posted for that later this month. I had expanders and implants only and failed after two infections on the radiated side. Now I have only one implant. I hate being lopsided. I was ok being flat, but would love to have 2 boobs and not have to wear a bra!
ER+, PR+, Her+++.
14/23 lymph nodes positive.
Port placement 6/10/2010.
Chemo course: Adria/Cytoxan every 2 weeks x 4 cycles, Taxol every week x 12 weeks. Herceptin every 3 weeks for one year and beyond until signs of cardiac compromise.
Radiation scheduled after chemo.
First chemo: 6/22/2010
Tracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #36
chemteach

Lots of options and lots of information to digest it seems. I had my breasts removed and tissue expanders placed during the surgery. I just couldn't believe that this was all happening to me so quickly, and I wanted to be "normal" again as soon as possible. I healed well and had my first expansion on each side of 75cc. The chemo regimen of taxotere, carboplatin, and Herceptin followed, and my PS would not expand during while I was on the TC. That is behind me and I am on Herceptin only until September. My expansion is complete, and I have implant exchange surgery scheduled for early March. The expanders are stiff and awkward, but they've done their job quite well. I didn't want to be hospitalized and recover and have extra scars and so on. I think this was the right decision for me, and I have no regrets. Yet. I won't.
9/19/2011 Started TCH every 3 weeks, TC for six cycles, Herceptin for 1 year

May all of your dreams bloom like daisies in the sun....
chemteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #37
KsGal

Wow..I surpriesed by some of these stories. I had a double mastectomy in November with immediate reconstruction with expanders. Those horrible JP drains were the worst thing about it. Gosh those things hurt. When they removed them in the office I about jumped off the table. I didn't have any problem with infection, although I did have to have a revision of my scar because the skin around it died. The expanders are hard and awkward and look strange...but I don't have to wear a bra and look somewhat normal in clothes. After my first fill I found out I was stage IV, and went through a time where I just didn't see the point in going on with the fills and reconstruction (was having a pity party). I think now I will finish with the reconstruction, but I don't think I want to take it on until my rounds of TCH are finished. My doctors were borderline on me having radiation (I had 3 positive nodes, and apparently they feel four positive nodes indicates radiation). My PS said radiation would ruin the reconstruction. Of course now Im stage IV, I would think I will have radiation at some point. There was a woman in my PS office when I was there who had undergone a reconstruction three years previous, and she was having her implants removed and regretted ever getting them.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #38
fauxgypsy

I just realized that I am very close to my 5 year cancerversary. I have made an appointment to have my surgery at PRMA in San Antonio in May for DIEP. I met with Dr. Pisano in December and all went well. I was torn between PRMA and the practice in NOLO but even though it is farther for me to go, I have to say that the billing practice in San Antonio brought it more into my budget (they don't balance bill). From everything that I have been able to find out they are both excellent.

I have been considering having a prophylactic mastectomy and a double reconstruction. I have not been tested for the BRCA gene. My oncologist seems to think that it is not necessary. I am a little worried because I only have a medical history for my mother's family. I still haven’t made up my mind on this.

When I was first diagnosed the surgeon and the first oncologist pretty much told me that I was going to die, so I wasn't real worried about reconstruction at that point. Since then I have given it a lot of thought. If I had had a double mastectomy I am not sure that it would bother me as much. What I have noticed though, is that I am always aware of the prosthesis. It is hot and uncomfortable in our Mississippi summers and I don't spend as much time gardening, swimming or any other activity as I used to. I have always been fairly active and I really don't want muscles moved. When I first heard of the DIEP surgery I was interested. I had hoped to have it last summer but it didn’t work out and considering the difference in experience between the surgeon I will have and the surgeon I would have had, it was for the best.

The mastectomy was the hardest part of my cancer experience and I really dread more surgery so I just keep telling myself that I will be glad once I get through it. Y’all be thinking of me.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #39
StephN

Dear Leslie -
May is just around the corner!

So glad you have come to this much of your decision. Choosing the what, how and where, as well as WHO are the biggest steps.

You will have good vibes and prayers coming your way when you need them. Just keep us posted here.

Swimming and gardening - look out, here she comes!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 AM   #40
Pray

I hope all goes well Leslie!
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote