HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-13-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
emmasmom

Is this treatment related or just a Sinus infection?

I just finished 12 weeks of taxol/herceptin and will be on herceptin every three weeks for the next year. I have had few side effects from this combination. The week after I finished, I had a horrible flu for 2 days and now have a horrible sinus infection. My nose hasn't stopped running in almost a week and my head feels like it is going to explode. My teeth even hurt from the pressure. (I have had these types of infections before breast cancer). My onc put me on Augmenten and is treating it like a sinus infection. Is this really a sinus infection or is a reaction to the herceptin?

Lisa
emmasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
Sherryg683

Could be a little of both. I have been suffering with the same for almost 2 weeks now. I am being treated as a sinus infection also. Had a cortisone shot, on Augmentin, and now taking a cotisone pack. I still feel cruddy. I think Herceptin really messes with the sinuses. I have been a total fog for days now and feel like I don't even own my body any more. I had this reaction when I first started chemo and it took about 3 weeks to finally get over it, then I was OK for a few months. Hope your medicine clears you up soon..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 11:37 PM   #3
Chelee

I have been on herceptin for four months now. I have one full cycle of chemo follow by weekly herceptin. I was always having sinus problems. Running nose, congested head. I would blow my nose and it was always bloodly. Very dried out inside and crusty...which was painful.

But since i changed oncologists which never gave me anything for my low wbc, rbc count...and hemagolbin...I always HAD those problems. But since the first oncologist landed me in the hospital with low counts...I know now to ask for things.

This new oncologist is keeping my wbc, rbc UP...and my hemagolbin. (sp) I also had one Iron IV infusion when it was low. Since then...I have had NO more problems with the sinuses.

Maybe its just a freak thing...but it sure seems funny every time my counts were low with the first doctor...I always had lots of sinus problems. Now my counts have stayed good and the nose and sinus is fine.

Its some thing to think about. Are all of your counts good when you have the sinus problem with the herceptin? If so...just TOSS my theory out the window. lol

Chelee...
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Christine MH-UK

I think it is probably flu-related

I had sinus infections on almost every round of the first chemo I had. In fact, on my second chemo, taxotere, the oncologist put me on cipro for every round on top of prescribing neupogen (like neulasta) to keep me out of the hospital.

I have had sinus problems on herceptin, but they are quite different from a sinus infection: a runny and irritated nose, but no pain going down into the teeth, which is a classic sign of a sinus infection.

All the best,
Christine
Christine MH-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
Jackie

Smile

I like many of you had a sinus infection. My occured after I finished with Taxotere/Herceptin and was only on Herceptin. I deal with allergy/sinus problems frequently in the past. I do think Herceptin does increase this. I was taken off of Herceptin for 9 weeks due to a low Muga and the allergy/sinus problems got so much better. I was put back on Herceptin 1 1/2 weeks ago and I am having the same runny nose & eyes I had previously. I think the key is to stay on top of it with antihistamines/decog. I take Allegra-D daily and this seems to help.
1 node+, 1.6cm
46 yrs. old at time of dx.
Completed Chemo 11-05
Completed 1 yr. Herceptin 8-06
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:53 AM   #6
emmasmom

Thank you so much for your responses. The Augmenten seems to be helping. Although I went through 2 boxes of Kleenex and a roll of toliet paper last weekend. I am hoping to kick this thing soon!

Lisa
emmasmom is offline   Reply With Quote