HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
linn65

Ugh, Aflac Insurance woman brings tears.

Okay, Monday after a rough weekend of emotion, I pulled it together and had a good day.

Today is Tuesday, and I have been at my job for 16 years and the Aflac woman comes in every year to ask if anyone wants cancer, heart, accident or hospitalization insurance. EVERY year I declined it because NEVER did I think I would need it.

Anyway, I went ahead and signed up for the Heart insurance because I never thought I would get breast cancer, so I want to be proactive in case of heart trouble. If I would have had the Cancer policy it would have been HUGE for me financially and eliminated a worry.

But when going through all the questions and signing up for the heart part of insurance I can feel the emotion just well up inside, and I try to breathe and be okay. When really I want to cry, and I want to cry hard.

I don't know if its because I have herceptin tomorrow or what. It just seems like one of those days I could sit at my desk and cry all day. I HATE THIS!! I hate what cancer has done to me. This emotion feels like when you are really in love with someone and you break up. Your heart aches, and you cry, wonder if you will ever get over them.

Praying for this to pass.....
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
lkc Gumby

Re: Ugh, Aflac Insurance woman brings tears.

Hi There I am sorry you are having a rough time. I did too. But I want you to know these feelings are normal. We have all been there. second guessing decisions, and worrying about what ifs, and what will happen. I used to call it going to the " dark side".
It's all part of the BC crap.
However, if you are losing sleep, not eating properly, and not functioning MOST of the time, you probably need to get on some short term meds. ( It helped me)

Either way I promise you bit by bit, you will get you life back and this will be a memory.

Take Care and God Bless.

Dxed Stage IIIC May 05, 12 pos nodes
er/pr -neg,Her -pos
LVI
Right partial mast & partial axillary dissection-June14,2005
Right modified mast-no clear margins- June 30, 2005
DD AC x4
Taxotere X4 with Herceptin
Rads x 35( 5 fields )
Left prophylactive mast( atypia & hyperplasia found ),
put on Tamoxifen x 1 yr; D/ced due to endometrial thickening
bilateral recon (saline implants)May 06
Nipple recon July 06
metformin 2010
removal of implants due to severe encapsulation, insertion of gummies 2013
Reclast Q yr
NED!!!
lkc Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
NanaJoni

Linn- it really is a grieving process. You have lost the person you were before bc and cancer takes so many things away from you. As hard as it is, it's normal and really does get better with time. Easy words to say but hard to live. Thinking about you and hoping it gets better.
3/24/10:sent.node biopsy clear
3/31/10:bi-lateral mx.;atypical ductal hyperplasia-lft side
4/21/10:wound revision-infection/scarring 4/28/10:seromas both sides
5/21/10:port installed,TCH chemo (6 x 3 wks); Herc,-1yr; 33 rad tx after chemo
07/2010: port not working-2nd port didnt'work;3rd port opposite side.
07/2010: 2 weeks after 3rd port surgery, threw 3 pulm. emboli-IVC filter installed; warfarin
08/2010: hospitalizations w/3 of chemos; decision to stop after 4th-on to radiation in Oct 2010;Herc cont.
12/03/2010 - finished 33 rads Hooray!! cont. Herc. every 3 wks
4/2011 - pneumonia ??? Nope-radiation pneumonitis. No more Herc.
5/2011 - NED!!! port out.
8/2011 - clean PET & CT scans.Still NED
7/2012 - Still NED/very blessed.
2/2013 - 6 mos checkup-all clear. CA2729 down frm 13 to 11.
NanaJoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
'lizbeth

Linn65,

I was at a new job for less than 3 months when I got diagnosed. I didn't qualify for obtaining disability insurance until I'd been at the company longer. Good plan on the heart insurance. I didn't realize they had that.

Since we don't have AFLAC maybe we could try Positive Affirmations and attract some dinero from the universe.

Here are your positive affirmations to help you attract money into your life.
Harness the power of the law of attraction to become someone who effortlessly attracts money, financial opportunities, and economic luck. Our positive affirmations will help you erase any negative beliefs you have about money. The most important thing for attracting positive things into your life is having a positive mindset, and attracting money is no different.
Use these affirmations regularly to take control of your finances and your life – The law of attraction really works! If you believe deeply and are willing to put the effort in to reprogramming your mind, you will attract more money than you can imagine is possible.
Money, success, financial health – all these things can be manifested by believing in and using the law of attraction – go ahead, try these positive affirmations and see for yourself
Present Tense Affirmations
I am wealthy
I always have money I attract financial abundance My mind is finely tuned for attracting massive wealth I always think positively about money I have many financial opportunities I always find a way to make a large profit I am rich and prosperous My life is full of abundance I am focused on achieving wealth
Future Tense Affirmations
I am becoming wealthier
My bank account is always growing Money will be flowing into my life I am finding it easier to attract money Financial opportunities are coming my way I will be financially successful I will attract wealth into my life Positive thinking is beginning to attract money into my life I am becoming rich My positive attitude is beginning to attract large sums of money
Natural Affirmations
Attracting money is easy
I effortlessly attract abundance I deserve to be wealthy My bank account never seems to stop growing I am highly focused on achieving financial success I fully believe in my ability to attract money I have a money mindset Money just always seems to come my way I naturally attract money and material abundance I am like a magnet to money

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
starwishn2

I know how you're feeling. I have been so emotional for so long - I actually think I've been depressed. How could we not?

I have discovered recently that my emotions have become less easily triggered as time and treatments go by. I figure I have about 8 or 9 more Herceptin treatments left. My hair is coming back and I'm starting to feel more like myself. My point is - as much as I never thought it would happen - things are getting better.

As a side note, don't feel too bad about not getting AFLAC. They have not paid a penny on my policy. I have been "fighting" with them since last August.

Hang in there!!
Jeri
ITP playing nice
Diagnosed 3Jul2012 BC

2 cm - Grade 2 - Stage IIB
HER2+++

ER+/PR+
bilateral mastectomy 20Jul2012
Metastasized cancer found 1 lymph node
expanders placed during surgery
TCH chemo "cocktail" started 24Aug2012
every 3 weeks - 6 treatments
Herceptin - 18 treatments
LAST treatment Taxotere & Carboplatin 7Dec2012 -yay!
Continue with Herceptin 26Dec2012

Started Arimidex 01Jan2013 (for 5 years)
Surgery to remove expanders/reconstruction 18Jan2013
Infection in left breast from reconstruction/infection in most nails - SO many meds! 22Feb2013
Left implant not playing nice.... might need to remove and try again - blah! 04Apr2013
3Jul2013 - one year since diagnosis - booo cancer!

15Aug2013 LAST chemo infusion!! YIPPPEEE!!!
13Sep2013 2nd reconstructive surgery.. the FOOBs are looking good!

starwishn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #6
Jackie07

Get yourself an attorney (check with your local 'legal Aid' for a free consult with a lawyer)

Contact the office of your representatives, Congressmen and Senators. They have staff handling this type of requests. Even if you don't have a case, they might know other resources that can help you.

Unless it's a non-profit, insurance companies will try everything to avoid paying out claims.

Before my 1990 brain (tumor)surgery, I couldn't get past the receptionist on the other side of the phone to talk to anyone in my insurance company about making a special contract (to have my surgery done locally in a hospital that was not a member of the HMO network covered by the insurance company). Finally, my boss located the vice president who was in charge of 'sprcial contracts' and hinted that my doctors were mentioning about lawsuit. (Actually my boss was the one who'd found me a lawyer and videotaped my testimony just in case ...)

When the roof of our house was leaking (directly above our bed!) after a storm, our local insurance agent told us we would get half the roof repaired after an adjustor had checked it out. My husband went to the agent's office and chewed him out! We'd been paying premiums for almost 20 years for the house besides several other policies with the company. The agent sent another adjustor to check the roof again and we were 'granted' a new roof after paying the deductable.

Never, never, never give up ...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 03-13-2013 at 02:06 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Jean

Lynn,
Of course you feel like crying - we have all been there, done that and did not win the T shirt. It's perfectly normal.
This is still all new for you. There are many levels to this journey of breast cancer. Besides coping emotionally there is the real hard facts of medical bills.

Have got to love that Jackie, she is a real spit fire with facts, numbers, etc. Love her story about the roof.
It is so true, "never give up" push back harder and get
someone who gave offer advise for the results you need.

If the depression continues ask the dr. for medication to help you to get past this rough time.

Please know that many of us are here for you and we have all been there ourselves. I promise it does get better - but that means time. Time to adjust, time to learn the best way that works for you to cope. As you move forward and treatment is behind you will begin to feel stronger.

Sending you a huge hug.
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Mary Jo

I cried and cried and cried. I remember saying to my husband after 2 weeks of crying...."will I ever stop crying? Will I ever be happy again?" I am a 7 year survivor. I have stopped crying and am happier than ever before. Hang in there. You are normal and this is all huge EMOTIONALLY and every other way. God Bless you sweet lady....with His peace.
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28