HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Diet and Nutrition
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Diet and Nutrition By popular demand our nutritional message board. This board will be monitored by a Registered RD who is certified in oncology by the American Dietetic Association

Old 05-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
AlaskaAngel

Tryptophane, bc and the immune system

http://bmcresnotes.biomedcentral.com...756-0500-4-156
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #2
donocco

Re: Tryptophane, bc and the immune system

Alaska Angel

Look up Tryptophane bladder cancer and Vitamin B6. Some patients with bladder cancer
have altertered GTryptophane metabolism involving the Kynurenine? pathway and produce
metabolites that can induce bladder cancer. Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) can help with this.
Maybe Vitamin B6 supplementation can help breast cancer patients.
Talk with your oncologist.

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:03 PM   #3
AlaskaAngel

Thanks, Paul.

I was also wondering whether or not the amount of tryptophane is reduced when we use 1% milk in place of 2% or more. That and apples are my major sources for it.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
Old 05-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #4
donocco

Im really not an expert in this, an registered dietician will know a lot more. I think the problem with tryptophane is not so much what you take in but how your body metabolizes it. Tryptophane is the precursor of Tryptami (Tryptophane minus the COOH) group and the body makes serotonin from Tryptamine.

I used to take the high dose L Tryptophane as a sleeping aid. It worked well. Then I read about Tryptophane metabolites and bladder cancer. I only use it once in a while like when I get up early to go to work.

Paul
Old 05-04-2016, 08:27 AM   #5
AlaskaAngel

I understand. We are both trying things to achieve sleep. I had been using melatonin 1 to 3 mg at night to help get really sound sleep and that worked consistently for the first couple of years after tx, but with aging, using it resulted in sound sleep for a night or so but then became hit or miss after that. Warm milk or apple still is helpful for me, so I was wondering whether or not the amount of it in milk could be moderated (in relation to the bladder cancer risk).

I'm using late-night talk show chatter as an aid, too, which works pretty decently (depending somewhat on the national political content expressed these days!)
Old 05-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
donocco

Alaska angel

I dont know about the milk. They do advertise (TV is now 60% advertisements-my wife is the one who watches TV) an almond milk or something like that. Perhaps an artificial milk might have less Tryptophane. Tryptophane is an essential amino acid and its found in a lot of foods, turkey being a big one.

I love to learn so Ill do some research over the weekend but I really doubt most bladder cancer has much to do with Tryptophane ingestion. You cant avoid it in food and the % of people who develop bladder cancer who were taking Tryptophane for sleep is probably very low. Smoking is a bladder cancer factor, People whose work involves certain aniline dyes are or were more susceptible.

The big bladder cancer cause worldwide is in Egypt. Its is a worm disease called
Bilzahariasis or something similar. The spelling is off. Egyptian workers who go
barefoot in stagnant water pick up the worm through their skin and the large quantity of eggs produced by the worm go to the bladder, irritate and inflame it and after many years of inflammation, bladder cancer develops. Once again Ill say if you are worried about Tryptophane speak with a registered dietician

Like you said the melatonin kind of loses its effect over time. I found a useful trick with it that might help you sleep. Buy rapid dissolve melatonin 5mg (I think it is sublingual) and if you wake up early take a tab. It helps me get back to sleep in the early morning

Paul