HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
Katsie

Exclamation Bilateral Mastectomy 7 yrs. ago..pulled pectoral muscle..indented badly and painful!

I opted for a bilateral mastectomy 7 years ago. When I was 42, I found a lump in the left. breast. It was diagnosed as medulary (sp). Non-spreading, encapsulated. I had a lupectomy, radiation, and tamoxifin. My oncologist said that the reoccurance was very low. Sorry about my spelling (fibro). Anyway, 16 years later, I found another lump in the upper right breast. The same oncologist diagnosed it as a garden variety type of breast cancer. He said it was my choice on what to do. I opted for the bilateral mastectomy. I had no real problems after the surgery, but the scar left a lot of scar tissue which pulls horribly. I told my oncologist it feels like a tight rubber band. About four months ago, while lifting my granddaughter who is 3 yrs. old, I must have pulled my chest muscle. Right after this, I felt the need to pull my right arm backwards, while sleeping. At any rate, I must have damaged the exact place where the surgery was performed, because after pulling this muscle in my sleep for about a month, the right side of my chest is now indented deeply. Much more so than that done by the surgery. Also, under my arm is indented badly. It looks so different than what it did, after the surgery. I went to my G.P. and she sent me to therapy. I've been in therapy for months, but nothing feels better, or looks better. The pain is awful, and it's under the scar, on my right side, where my bra hits. Even if I don't wear the bra, it hurts. It's a stabbing, burning feeling. Therapy, massage, just turned me black and blue. I can't exercise like I used to...walking, because even with a 10's unit, it radiates down my right arm, then my back starts to hurt, and the arm tingles and goes numb. I'm seeing my G.P. today, and ask her to do an MRI to determine what's going on in there. I have not seen any posts like mine, anywhere on the internet, with the exception of weight lifters who suffer this type of damage. If my surgeon had told me what he actually cut when he performed the surgery, I would have been more careful. Lesson learned. Just because you're referred to a surgeon, with no bedside manner, like me, ask a ton of questions. Ask your family members to help you make a written list of things you want to know, and push the surgeon to explain, and don't take silence for an answer. I think my surgeon must have cut the muscles in my chest, but at the time, I was so upset over it all, that I barely asked anything, and he did not volunteer a thing!
Katsie is offline   Reply With Quote