HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Keeping Your Mind Off of BC
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Keeping Your Mind Off of BC Fun things and posts that do not apply to BC

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Colleens_Husband

Wouldn't we all be better off without this person?

During the ancient days of the Athenian democracy, the Senate, in an effort to run smoothly, had a policy of voting one person each year to be banished from Athens. The person being banished was chosen based on how obnoxious, over-bearing, or long winded they were. Since anyone could be voted out, most Athenians tried to conduct themselves in a civil and cordial manner.

With that in mind, I would like to open up nominations for someone to be banished from society for one entire year. Feel free to make your nominations as well.

My nomination is a couple of thirty somethings who were standing in front of me on Friday evening at the Oregon City Hagens Grocery Store. As this couple were getting their groceries scanned, they saw a woman walk up to the Starbucks counter for some coffee (well, it was probably a skinny vente' frappucino with sprinkles, I'm not even sure if Starbucks even sells just plain coffee) who had extremely short hair. She was about forty, had a cute figure and a pretty face.

The lady said, "Ewww gross!" I can't imagine why any woman would choose a disgusting hairstyle like that!"

The husband said "She looks butch like a dyke or something."

The lady says, "Why in the world would anyone do that to their heads?"

The cashier, who is a friend of mine looks at me and shakes her head, mouthing "Just let it go, Lee".

And upon retrospect, maybe I should have just let it go. I recognized the hairstyle as the "I just got done with chemo and it is a hot day hairdo."

I was going to say, "Have you considered that the poor lady who is the object of your derision has a valid medical reason for her coiffure choice?" I must have misspoken because what came out of my mouth was something like, "You obnoxious jackasses! The lady has obviously had chemotherapy and is growing her hair out. She didn't choose that hairstyle, she chose life instead of death. Cancer is hard enough to survive without some judgmental morons criticizing her. Even so, I hope you two never have to face the ignorant condescension of inconsiderate louts, such as yourselves, because NOBODY deserves cancer. If her fashion sense makes you uncomfortable, then don't go out into public places, because one in eight women will get breast cancer and one in seven men will get prostate cancer. If you think her hairstyle is troublesome, I think her courage and spirit are commendable. Instead of heaping scorn on this woman, who has already been through so much more than your shallow lives can contemplate, why don't you go talk to her and learn a thing about integrity and bravery!"

They quietly paid for their groceries and left the store and the lady got her espresso.

I was still pretty angry at these people when I got in my car to leave, but I thought that life is too short and precious to waste being angry. That is something that my wife's cancer has taught me.

Anyways, what can you do about these type of people? Nothing really, but maybe I can nominate them for some sort of Hall of Shame. Thats what I'm doing now. And you know what? I feel just a litle bit better about everything.

Have a good day, you deserve it,

Lee
Colleens_Husband is offline   Reply With Quote