HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2006, 04:25 AM   #1
Sukey

Starting Herceptin onThursday

I am to begin treatment tomorrow w Herceptin alone after just completing 28 treatments of radiation to the supraclavicular/brachial plexus area...recurrence after almost 7 years NED. Received CMF and radiation back then and went on w life. Scans have shown no other activity at this point so Oncs felt Rads first 'cuz nerve involvement has left me w little use of my R arm and hand. Now Herceptin every 3 weeks; after 3 treatments, more scans to see what if anything is going on. Am I scared...you bet I am!!
I am 64 and had hoped to live on into my 90s like most members of my senior family.
I am active at the gym, kayak, whitewater raft guide, work full time and am primary caregiver for my Mom who has Alzheimer's. ( Mom is a 60-year survivor of Ovarian cancer!!! ) If all goes without incident...Herceptin alone will continue. If not, something else will be added...Onc wants to save "big guns" for later, if needed. It is now hitting me that I have something BIG going on and find myself being teary and edgy...not like me at all!! Also dealing w compression bandaging again for lymphedema that has added to the nerve damage...so back to lymphedema therapy. Gratefully, I work in my PCP's office and have a great support system there...some of the staff has gone thru this w me before. I guess I just need this place and you folks to vent abit.
I am feeling somewhat guilty about having to take time out of a busy work place to take care of my "stuff"...I know I must take care of this...just all seems so overwhelming now..................
Sukey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #2
Shell

Sukey-

I too am nervous every time I have to start a new regime... Herceptin, though, for me, was extremely manageable. I took it with a chemo, and was able to continue working full time and caring for my two young children. Keeping active is great, especially as you need your energy, including emotional energy, in caring for your family.

Take care,
Shell
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
sarah

Herceptin's a breeze next to all the other stuff. There are quite a few posts about Herceptin and basically all of them state how "easy" to take it is. Most of us just doing Herceptin drive ourselves to the treatment and as long as the pre-meds aren't too strong, no extreme drowsiness. Although that said, try to have someone go the first time just in case you're too nervous or whatever. Just remember, it's a great drug and we're all extremely lucky to be getting it. Take a book and water with you and just think about all the good it's doing you.
crying, being sad and angry is ok, but then it's time to put on the gloves and fight back. believe you'll beat it and fight tough!
good luck.
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:40 AM   #4
LisaJ

Hi Sukey - I just started Herceptin and chemo last week and was extremely nervous! The first treatment went well. The only thing that I seemed to hit me was extreme fatigue. I know I have along way to go, but I was hopeful! Good luck! You are going to do great!

Lisa
LisaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 04:23 PM   #5
jhandley

Smile Messing about in boats

Hi Sukey

I am also a paddler and a past whitewater raft guide. I now consider myself to be paddling a river from grade 2-6; at present I am in an eddy (NED) after 6 cycles of taxol and herceptin and on monday had my first dose of herceptin alone. I know there are bigger rapids further on down the river but for now I can relax a little and enjoy the scenery.
I also compete and coach slalom and recently competed in the Vets category at the Australian National Championships on the Mersey River in Tasmania. I find that when I go paddling all my worries disappear. I also reward myself with new boats etc. after good scan results.

keep in touch
Jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #6
lu ann

Dear Sukey, Welcome aboard.

You seem to have more on your plate then you need right now. It just makes me real angry that you and your Dear Mom have to deal with alzheimers after surviving ovarian cancer. Just doesn't seem fair. But I guess life isn't supposed to be fair.

We are here whenever you need us.

Blessings
Lu Ann
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #7
TriciaK

Today is the day, Sukie, so I am thinking of you and saying a prayer that all goes really well. We are so blessed to have herceptin. I found it easy and very successful, even though it was necessary to stop for awhile because of my heart. Let us know how it goes! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:47 PM   #8
Lolly

Sukie, how did it go today? Hope you do ok, let us know.

<3 Lolly

l
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 07:25 PM   #9
Sukey

Wink

Dear Sweet Friends...the day went well, altho the time spent at the treatment center was much longer than I had expected...almost 4 1/2 hours!! Lab tests, MD visit, instruction time, benedryl/tylenol, then drip, drip, drip and observation period to make sure I could toddle on outta there and back to work. I felt kinda guilty leaving the folks at work for so long but....they survived. And so did I. Now I am abit sleepy...I get up at 4 am and it is now about 9:15 pm...longish day. Took your advice and went armed w water and a book..Book not needed; too many people to talk to altho I could have nodded off midway thru. Thank you again for your kindnesses and support..some of the bumps in today's path were smoothed out. hugs to all and to all, a good nite...xoxo,Sukey
Sukey is offline   Reply With Quote