HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
Sheila

First of all I am sorry you are feeling down...there will be better days. None of us are up 100% of the time. As a nurse who worked many years with cancer patients, I have found that attitude is quite healing and a wonderful medication! You must think positive even at the worse times and situations. I was very down when I was diagnosed...the why me syndrome, and as a medical person, I knew what the outcome could be. Then I transferred all the negative thoughts to positive ones...I WILL NOT GIVE UP TO THIS DISEASE. I now look at life with a different priority, and I dont dwell on the negative. I am willing to fight this fight because I have too many reasons not to...children, grandchildren etc. I do things I always wanted to do but never took time...I began riding a motorcycle for the first time in my life 3 months after my mastectomy. Here I was 50 years old and I bought my OWN Harley...yes my kids thought I was going through a midlife crisis, but I did it anyway. Everyone said "you'll never be able to ride"...but I did, and I will continue to...I look at this disease in the same light...when I get another hurdle, I know I just have to jump higher...smile and think positive...believe it or not, laughter can be the best medicine!!!
Hugs
Sheila
Old 02-13-2004, 10:48 PM   #2
Kitty

I couldn't have said it any better....we all have our down days but in the end by allowing your every waking moment be spent on cancer and "what-if's" and torturing yourself you are really giving up your control on how you will let this affect your life. Absolutely no one has that magical answer of how long...that includes all the others out there without cancer or some other chronic disease. The only difference between them and us is that we have been given a second chance to really enjoy our life here and now. I hope that makes sense to you. Don't let this win by taking away your joy of living. Step away from this for a little while and focus on something that makes you happy.
Kitty