HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2004, 10:53 PM   #1
eleanor

Hi Jeff,
Ok, I think I understand what you're asking. Whether or not staying on herceptin, even if it seems it's not needed, is necessary. This is only my opinion, so keep that in mind.
Had herceptin been available after my first dx of stage 2 back in 2000 I doubt I would have developed bone mets 2 yrs later because the herceptin would have prevented the cancer cells from reproducing. I am one of the fortunate ones that responds to the drug and after being on it for 15 mos I was pronounced NED. Now, right now I can't take it because of unrelated problems, but as soon as I am able to, I will be back on it weekly until I am forced to go off or something better comes along. Many of us feel that this drug acts as a prophylatic agent that is capable of preventing recurrance in many cases and we are strong advocates of this drug. We consider it to be a miracle drug - not a cure, mind you - but the only defense we have at this time and we won't give it up. The choice is individual, but speaking for me, I will continue to take it on a weekly basis as long as I am able to even if I am NED.
el
Old 02-11-2004, 11:29 PM   #2
jeff

Eleanor,

Thanks so much for your patience with me--I think I understand now. Your rationale is exactly why my partner Rachel has switched to an oncologist willing to give Herceptin "off protocol"--in the hopes that it will prevent recurrence/mets.

All the best to you-
Jeff