HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2004, 07:51 PM   #1
Janet

Hello Meredith.

I'm so sorry that your seemingly healthy diet and lifestyle didn't save you from this horrible disease. I just wanted to point out that I'm not saying sugar 'causes' cancer. All I'm saying is that it is wise to cut out all simple sugars such as table sugar and foods containing it, refined carbs, etc., AFTER a diagnosis of b/c. While sugar consumption may not be a direct cause of b/c it most certainly adds to a favourable environment for a cancer to flourish once it's already established.

Even the most seemingly healthy eaters can't avoid ALL the causal factors for b/c. There's much more to it than simply eating unprocessed foods and little sugar etc. I've had many vegetarians say to me that their healthy diet and lack of dairy didn't save them from b/c. But what you must also consider is:

1. Most vegetarians replace meat with dairy products.
2. Those lifelong vegetarians who claim not to have eaten dairy products either, aren't aware of just how much dairy they have been consuming by way of other every day foods, not to mention pills and medications. For example:
Crisps (potatoe chips if you're in the USA)
Cakes.
Biscuits.
Sauces.
'Healthy' nutrition bars.
Pills and meds.
Vit supplements,
etc, etc, etc.

3. Even vegans get b/c, but have much lower rates because even the healthiest diet doesn't save you from all the other lifestyle factors that are implicated in b/c. For example:

Vegans still use plastics.
They also eat food that is shrink wrapped.
A vegan who doesn't eat organic is still exposed to pesticides.
Then there's radiation. How many healthy eaters sit behind a pc day in day out.....hours at a time?
How many live close to power lines, mobile phone masts and other sources of radiation?

etc, etc, etc.

My point is that if you have b/c then you were exposed to some of the risk factors for getting it, even if you weren't exposed to some of them. (Hmmm, does that make sense? I know what I mean, but putting it down on paper is difficult )

In my opinion, our attitude AFTER a diagnosis has to be different to that before our diagnosis. The risk factors for PROMOTING b/c are different in a lot of instances to the risk factors for developing it in the first place.

I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Much love,
Janet.
xx