HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2008, 06:20 AM   #1
RobinP

Angry history of environmental estrogn release

I challenge you to read this article, describing the historical release of estrogen disrupting compounds into the earth. I read with anger and shock concerning early twentieth physicians' and the FDA's lack of interest to protect women and the public from the release of DES and other estrogens. After reading this article, no wonder 1 in 8 women get breast cancer with estrogen compounds floating in the environment. It's just sickening to know that not only politics, but our female gender was a reason to abuse and not protect women from estrogens...simply appauling!

http://www.historycooperative.org/jo.../langston.html
SHOCKING EXCERPT FROM ABOVE LINK:
" After this court case, the FDA leadership decided to deal with scientific uncertainty with a compromise, allowing the drug,DES, to be available only with a prescription—a novel idea at the time—while requiring elaborate warnings about possible toxic and carcinogenic effects. Yet because they did not trust patients, particularly female patients, to judge medical information, regulators within the FDA insisted that these warnings be made available only on a separate circular that patients would not see. Doctors could get this warning circular only by writing to the drug companies and requesting it. Letters between companies and FDA regulators reveal that both groups feared that if a woman ever saw how many potential risks DES might present, she might refuse to take the drug—or else she might sue the company and the prescribing doctors if she did get cancer or liver damage after taking the drug. Since most doctors were unwilling to write off for a special circular before prescribing a heavily promoted drug, the distrust of female patients meant that few clinicians and fewer patients ever had any idea that the drug was toxic. The compromise solution foundered its assumptions about women's untrustworthiness as patients."
25 >>

PS. The pill is another whole issue of estrogen release and deception. From its beginning, never was a pill produced for so many people without medical necessity and without concern or warning of deleterious side effects regarding breast and other cancers. As a result, I consider the birth control one of largest and longest running human trials that has ever existed without informed consent.Researchers now know that it is responsible for increase rates of breast cancer, even for just 6 months use, particularly prior to first pregnancy. Yet there still is no black box warning or informed consent to young women prescribed these medications concerning the cancer risks. Just another outrageous example of how the FDA is not properly regulating female hormonal drugs to protect women."

ROBIN

Last edited by RobinP; 08-24-2008 at 05:40 AM..
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
ElaineM

Lightbulb history of environmental estrogen release

Thank you very much for positing this. It is a subject I have been interested in for a long time. I hope more women and especially more breast cancer patients think about this.
The release of estrogen producing chemicals can affect everyone, not only women or breast cancer patients.
Chemicals that produce estrogen in the environment can be affecting alot of things, including the food people eat, the medicines people take, the air people breathe, and the household products or cosmetics people use. Not all estrogen positive breast cancer patients took HRT !!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #3
swimangel72

Robin - I'm not surprised reading this - and I'd love to read a similar article about insectisides. I'm convinced my exposure to DDT when I was about 10 or 11 caused my breast cancer.

I have a question for you - where did you read that "Researchers now know that it (the pill) is responsible for increase rates of breast cancer, even for just 6 months use, particularly prior to first pregnancy." All my life I stayed far away from the birth control pill - but since I got breast cancer anyway, I've relaxed my anxiety about it and now my 20 year old daughter may need to go on it to help regulate her painful heavy periods. All her doctors are saying that "today's" birth control pills don't cause cancer and that the only side effect to worry about is clotting. But I just don't believe them. So any recent information you found about the pill and cancer will be very helpful!
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
RobinP

Kathy, you may find this in the report by Mayo Clinic. The YSC boards has more on this too you can check my post there, as I;m a member there too.

MAYO ARTicle:
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com...110/8110a1.pdf
YSC Board:
http://www.youngsurvival.org/community/bulletin-board/
Old 08-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
swimangel72

Thanks Robin - the first link confirms my suspicions that oral contraceptives increases a woman's risk for BC........the second link brought me to the main bulletin board, but I couldn't find the relevant thread - can you find it for me?
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
Old 08-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
RobinP

Here's the YSC post link

Can't get that link Kathy, sorry. Just click birth control and post from Robin on YSC.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
RobinP

http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/pdf/8110/8110e.pdf

Here's another link for you kathy
Old 08-18-2008, 02:48 PM   #8
R.B.

The book "Our Stolen Future" is about endocrine disrupter and includes DDT and some thoughts on DES.

I have not read all of it as I bought it for specific research but the bits I have dipped and skimmed are depressingly thought provoking.

Thank you for posting this Robin
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
RobinP

I've read that DES increases breast cancer rates, particularly as women approach forty.Still, I think that birth control is a bigger contributor to endocrine disruptor for young women of today. Why a pill to control birth is highly dispensed to women and not men is a result of the FDA's, AMA's, and medical community's perceived inferior sexual difference of women, whose unique female reproductive tract is treated as a birth defect requiring a solution.

Last edited by RobinP; 08-24-2008 at 06:07 AM..
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:08 AM   #10
RobinP

I've read that DES increases breast cancer rates, particularly as women approach forty.Still, I think that birth control is a bigger contributor to endocrine disruptors for young women of today. Why a pill to control birth is highly dispensed to women and not men is a result of the FDA's, AMA's, and physicians' perceived inferior sexual difference of women, whose unique female reproductive tract is treated as a birth defect requiring a solution.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:00 AM   #11
swimangel72

My daughter decided NOT to go on birth control pills after all, I'm so relieved! She's not sexually active andshe said she can live with her heavy periods, she's used to dealing with them. But she didn't want to have to worry that she'd be increasing her risk of BC. Amazing how all the literature the doctors gave us highlight the fact that oral contraceptives REDUCE a woman's risk of getting endometrial cancer and how studies show it does not increase your risk of BC.......even though, online, I've found studies saying it does. I just do NOT trust the literature the doctors gave us. I'm also reading online where some girls, as young as 12 and 13, are routinely put on birth control pills to "regulate" their periods. Why can't they wait a few years and let their own bodies regulate themselves? My period wasn't regular in the beginning ......it took a couple of years to get into "synch". Also so many girls take OCs to clear up their acne...........when maybe just acne medication would do the job. I don't want to be judgmental - everyone's situation is unique - but when doctors say they don't understand why so many younger women are getting BC , why don't they do more studies looking into oral contraceptive use?
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%