HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #1
LittleLegos

starting weekly Taxol & Herceptin - hair loss?

Hi Ladies,

Some of you may remember my recent posts about different treatment options, ect.

I have decided! I will start weekly Taxol and Herceptin as my only chemo next week. It's for 12 weeks and then continue Herceptin for another 3 mos or more.

I had heard that weekly might have less side effects than every 3 weeks or less intense. My dr feels that I'll do very well. I have concerns about being "down" all the time. I have two young children.

I've picked out a wig, but not sure when it order it. I don't see many people just do Taxol (w/o A-C before) so I'm not sure if all my hair will go or what.

Thanks!!

12/29/06 DCIS dx grade 2-3 with necrosis and focal early microinvasion
2/7/07 Partial Mastectomy and Sentinel Node Biopsy
2/18/07 dx .6cm IDC with DCIS 1.4cm, grade 2 ER-PR-HER2+++
neg nodes (3 taken), clean margins
3/20/07 Start 12 weekly Taxol - Herceptin, more Herceptin to follow
LittleLegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:25 AM   #2
Val Pfeiffer

I was on Herceptin, Taxol and Carboplatin. I think that Taxol and Carbo both contribute to hair loss. Happens around the 3-week mark usually.
3 months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
Significant tumor shrinkage
Mastectomy 3/05; Stage 3b, 9 cm tumor, 5/8+ nodes
3 more months weekly Herceptin, Taxol. Carboplatin
7/05 30 radiation treatments, IMRT planning approach
Started 1 year of Herceptin 9/05
9/06 Began quarterly triple doses Herceptin. Brain & breast MRIs semi annually.

6/08 Right breast, intraductal carcinoma, high nuclear grade associated with comedo necrosis; extensive diffusely involved the entire biopy specimen. ER+, PR-, Her2 unknown at this point, 07/08 mastectomy.
Val Pfeiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
janet/FL

Legos
I did Taxotere and Herceptin, only.--No AC--on a weekly schedule.
My doc was originally going to do Taxol, but he read studies that showed Taxotere was the better choice with Herceptin. Perhaps someone here can give you information on these studies.

And with my combo, you won't lose all of your hair at once. Male pattern baldness is the first to appear. You can still wear hats and the hair around your neck and ears will make it look like you have more hair than you do. Wash and rinse your hair very gently so as not to pull out hair that would stick around awhile. Or, shave it off and go for the bald look. It certainly is in style!
Lumpectomy 12/2004
Stage 1, 9mm DCIS, grade 2, Her2+++, ER/PR negative
Refused A/C as recommened by two oncs.
35 treatments of radiation that ended March 4, 2005
Changed oncologists and began
Taxotere/Herceptin August 2005. Finished Herceptin July 2006
janet/FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Mary Anne in TX

Hi!

I lost my hair with Taxotere and Adriamycin, but not with Taxol, Carboplatin and herceptin. The weird thing is that I didn't lose my hair with Taxol and Carboplatin (non returned much though), but I lost my eyelashes and eyebrows almost totally! Didn't cry over my hair but have to admit that I shed lots of tears when those eyebrows and eyelashes went! Maybe if you buy a wig, it won't fall out at all!!! Best wishes!

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
OzzieSue

I was on Taxotere/Herceptin weekly for 6 months. I didn't lose my hair, it thinned a lot but noone else noticed except me. I missed quite a few weeks of Taxotere because of low white blood count so don't know if that helped keep my hair. My hair went very dry on the treatment so I left it as long as I could between washes hoping that would help, don't know that it made any difference but I felt better not getting handfuls after washing.
OzzieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
dchips1

My hair thinned on taxol,carbo,herceptin

My hair got very baby fine thin (like a 10 mth ) old, with 6 months of taxol, carbo and herceptin. I did every week x 3 then off 1 week herceptin only. I take care of special needs kids fulltime, so I did my chemo on Friday mornings, slept most of Friday, felt good the first part of Saturday, Made it to Church on Sunday with naps after, Mon nausea was pretty yucky By Tues/Wed was ready for pizza. Get good nausea meds (if you are younger and more active the nausea can tend to take you out more) Because it interferes with your keeping up. Make sure you take nap and body quite activities, (my one little guy likes to lay by me while we play quite games on the bed) it helps conserve your energy. I had other people do my store errands so I could save my energy and spend with my family time also. There is a web site called chemochicks.com I bought a beaded head covering from, most people look at it and don't think twice I live in AZ and it is cool your head breathes and even my teens will go out in public with me!! I am not a wig person, I just lost 99.9% of my hair this morning from brain radiation and I wore my beads to church and my 6 year old wants to "paint my head". My hair was 10 in long I had it cut very short prior to chemo, and I finished chemo in Aug and by Sept I went to work at the school as a nurse with thin but hair. Good luck to you, and your little people in your life. Darita
3/07 6 brain mets WBR down to c-2
4/07 osteonecrosis jaw
1/08 mri new 9mm lesion right lower side
2/08 gamma knife 1 lesion 11/08 regamma
10/09 latent rad necrosis to brain met,
1/20/10 crani: lesion necrosis w active cells continue her add tykerb
1/11 NED just Ingrown toenail! YEAH GOD
8/11 Tykerb, herceptin weekly, elevated her2 levels, negative scans
oct -march 11 new neuro deficits lower legs
3/12 2 spinal metsTykerb, Herceptin
04/12 4050cGY rads T 2-4 & T7-9
5/12 Brain,cervical lumbar clear/thoracic slight decrease
10/12 t 2-4 shrunk t-9 grew start Xeloda, 02/13 stop xeloda,5/13 on metformin, decadron, Tykerb, iv and IT herceptin 5/30/13 total #11 #2 of 80mg dose weekly.
9/13 100mg of IT her, IV hern, 750 mg tykerb, 3mg dec.
last Mri T--3 SHRUNK t7-9 shrunk no edema. Left shift in CBC bone marrow BX negative.
10/13 Ct has shown Double left ureters with stones/cysts in them, after 3 births and lots and U/S iit takes cancer to figure out you have 2 smaller ureters going into 1 kidney!
12/13 Mri brain no new lesions, cervical and lumbar arthritis.
Tspine lesion at T3 stable, T 7-9 GROWTH lots of pain

1/29/14 HIHO HIHO its off to Neuro surgery I go

Life is Good when you wake up in the morning and take a breath and know that God has given me another day.

dchips1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
jessica

TH-my "magic" cocktail~

I have a strange LOVE & FONDNESS for Taxol+Herceptin
I was on the dose-dense (qweekly) dosage too. I had been on other chemo combos for 8 mos prior, but it's the TH combo that got me to NED the 1st time, Then w/each recurrence, it was TH again, that led me back to NED again & again.
The side effects were very tolerable, but I did lose my hair. Very predictably, on day 21 after the 1st dose. And it hurt! I know a lot of the other ladies here can corroborate on this lesser known fact. My scalp was so sore & sting-y right before my hair fell out. It was sore right when it started to grow back too, but that was a welcomed soreness! I was pretty consumed & preoccupied with the threat of my hair falling out, but once it was gone, I just embraced my wigs. Shopping for wigs replaced shopping for shoes
Otherwise, I tolerated treatment really well. I continued to teach Pilates throughout, never struggled w/nausea, but eventually did need some help w/Procrit & Neupogen.
I wish you the very best too.
(I did do a short course with Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin-q3week dose-& felt significantly worse on that combo...TH much preferred)
Keep us posted...
Keep the Faith~
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
Grace

I had only two rounds of taxol, carboplatin, and herceptin, and sorry to report but I did lose my hair, although not all of it. I had a few longish strands left but with lots of bald spots. In case you're one of the lucky ones, you can probably hold off buying the wig for a few weeks. Or you might consider one of those cool caps. I did some research on them and apparently they do work. I wish you the very best!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
Bev

Hi LL,
Lost all to AC. During 12wks T & H, hair started growing back around my ears and the back of my head. By the time I had 12 wks T & H, enough hair had grown around the sides to make me look like I had male pattern baldness. I think the top took 3 months post T & H treatment to start growing back. I was worried it was permanent.

It sounds like you'll either slightly thin on top, bald on top, or less likely, lose more. I think it would be a good idea to at least pick out a wig. If the hair loss looks like it's going to be too much, you could wait to order it then and wear hats for the week or so it takes to come in.

Hope you'll get lucky and not lose too much. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
Tricia

Smile

LittleLegos (cute name)

I wish you the best with your choice of treatment!! I had taxol/Herceptin first and I was getting every three weeks.... after the first dose right before the next one...my hair was gone...it started thinning really bad and then within two days it was coming out in clumps....and was gone. My husband and I said a prayer and then he shaved it off... I had wigs already purchased and my friends gave me a hat and scarf party... and I really thought I was going to struggle with being bald..... But the losing it was the roughest part.... and I rarely even wear my wigs now... I am beautifully bald... wink wink. As for side affects... I had a tiny bit of nausea VERY DOABLE..... and then my Onc went to a Meeting at UCLA and took me as a case study since I was only 31 with stage 3b and no family history....they suggested Carboplatin/Herceptin/Taxotere and it about kills me for the first 7-10 days after treatment... But I can't feel the tumor anymore and it was 7cm wrapped around my rib cage and into my chest wall..... so bad when they went to do a lumpectomy it was everywhere and so they closed me up and said that they couldnt do anything else except do pre-op chemo to try to shrink it to give me the best chance at clear margins. So I have taken more advice from the ladies here than anywhere.... I do they yucky TCH and I take all the meds to help me get through and I write and read on here and I make it one day at a time.... and Now which is amazing to me...I only have one more chemo March 26..... that is my last pre-op chemo and then surgery in mid/late April. SO good luck and God bless and KNOW you can do it. God gives us so much. Cancer has changed my life and honestly in a lot of good ways.... No one wants it and no one deserves it but we as strong women find the strength, courage and the heart to fight on...and be there for the ones that come after us.
er+/pr- her2 +++ Stage 3b
several tumors
largest 7cm
port placed on Jan 18, 2007
Chemo started Jan 22, 2007
Herceptin/ Taxol every 3d week and then my Dr changed me to Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin
every 3d week
Right Mastectomy w/ Lymph Node Dissection 4/19/07
27 removed 9 positive
Margins-clear but wall to wall
Radiation scheduled for 6/07
Tricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #11
chrisy

Hi lego

I had 6 cycles of weekly taxol/carboplatin/herceptin for 3 weeks then 1 week herceptin only.

Almost all my hair fell out around the 2-3rd week. That was the bad news. I was "lucky" enough that it was winter, so I could just wear hats all day long! Never was much of a hat gal before that...

Other than that, I did very well with this combo. I had no nausea (probably thanks to the premeds!) and pretty much was able to work full time throughout this treatment. Although I think towards the end I must have been quite "dull".

I was also lucky with my blood counts and actually felt pretty good most of the time, a little tired but not unable to function and carry on life as usual.

Everyone reacts differently, but I found the weekly T/C/H pretty tolerable; I hope this happens for you, too!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:36 PM   #12
hutchibk

Hi - I am currently on Taxol/Herceptin every 3 weeks. I have been since August 06. I will be until the cows come home. It is keeping my tumor markers stable and seems to be keeping my 3 little chest nodes and my little bone spot at C2 stable.

I started to lose my hair at 14 days EXACTLY. I then lost my eyebrows and eyelashes in due course (about a month later, totally bald head and face).
My hair started to grow back after 2 months, but not the kind of hair that you want to wear out in public, I promise. I have the hair line, density, texture and color of a 95 year old man! HA! I wear my gypsy scarves every day (and I do have a bad-scarf day from time to time, LOL) and when I am feeling like being a little dressier, I don a wig.

My eyelashes and eyebrows have not budged an inch. No re-growth at all.

You will find that it's not the hair on your head that you will miss the most, it is the eyelashes and eyebrows!!
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:53 PM   #13
Gerri

Boy, do I agree about the eyelashes and eyebrows! I have lost mine (between chemo and herceptin) three times. I think losing them bothered me so much because it made me LOOK like a cancer patient - something I tried so hard to avoid. I found that eye shadow, eye liner, and eyebrow pencil worked wonders. No one at work even knew I was "bald" on my face. The good thing is, that once they start growing back they come in rather quickly.

I started losing my hair on day 18 of my AC treatments. Once it started coming out I shaved it all off and started wearing my wig. I had great hair pre-BC, but got even more compliments on my wig (even from people I didn't know) than I ever got on my hair - that helped tremendously. It is now growing in slowly but very thick, a bit curly and NO GRAY!! I actually like it short and will probably wear it this way for a while.

Best of luck to you Little Legos on this journey.

Attitude IS everything!
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 AM   #14
hutchibk

I agree about eyeliner, pencil and shadow. I have become quite the expert at "approximating" natural eyelashes and brows. Most people are none the wiser...
but you have to get good at NOT rubbing your face too much, even when it
itches from allergies, etc... or you risk "wiping your face off" !! LOL!

We should start a thread here with make-up tricks, ideas, successes, trials and errors!

I know I have a few up my sleeve, and some products that have proven pretty
helpful.
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #15
kymelody

I began losing hair on A/C treatments at about day 17 -- it was falling out to the point I just had my husband shave it off. I had some growth before the last of those treatments, but it was funny feeling, almost sore and it fell out again anyway. I have 5 treatments of Taxol/Herceptin remaining and just now have a little hair growth (about a 1/2 in of white down feeling hair). Maybe it will hang on and continue to grow ???
Have almost totally lost lashes (gone on bottom, few remain on top) and very thinning eyebrows. I can pretty much draw in the brows and fade them out with a brush. They were such a light color anyway, losing them hasn't been that noticable. But I sure miss my lashes and they look pretty pitiful trying to put mascara on them when you can almost count them individually !! Thank God for eyeliner. Uncle Fester anyone ???
I am ready to have my hair back ...... 3 months of being bald is longer than I would have ever imagined it could be.
I switch it up -- some days its a wig, some days its a hat, some days a scarf ... I am all for making a fashion statement, and I am thankful for the most part its been winter, but now that spring is here, I would really like to have hair !!!
5 cm tumor
Lumpectomy 11-1-06 (margins not clear)
er/pr- Her2+++
13/27 lymph nodes
4 dd A/C completed 1-12-07
12 Taxol completed 4-20-07 + Herceptin 1 yr
Mastectomy 5-15-07
38 Rads Begin 6-13-07
Completed Herceptin 2-08
kymelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #16
Stephanie B.

Smile

I am on my second round of Taxol. First was in 2005 after A/C. I was hoping that I wouldn't lose my hair this time because it seemed to start coming back during Taxol last time. No such luck! I have done 3 treatments and I had really thick hair and it was coming out like crazy. I finally decided that since I still had my wigs from last time to go ahead and let my husband shave my head. I now get to save 30 minutes every morning not having to do my hair!! Last time my hair came back thicker and wavy - maybe this time I will have more curl!

Just keep your chin up. The wigs they have these days are great and look like your real hair and you can sleep in. The American Cancer Society has a great site for wigs, hats, bras, bathing suits etc. tlcdirect.com. Also look into your local American Cancer Society to see if the offer the "Look Good, Feel Better" Class. They offer great tips and makeup and eyebrows and also have free wigs and hats.

Good luck

Stephanie
Stephanie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:53 PM   #17
LittleLegos

Hey Ladies,

Thanks for all your replies! I wasn't getting email updates, so I just checked. It will be interesting to see how the hair thing works out. I wish I could just know...but I guess I will soon enough. It does look like a good amount of hair loss is a guarentee. My family thinks a wig is a good idea and the one I have picked out looks pretty good. I worked with a local stylist who specializes in wigs. She had a bunch I could touch and look at. I chose a human hair wig that feels like my hair. The color match is pretty good too, I'm a red hed and it's really close. Another thing is both my kids LOVE to touch and play with my hair. I even have thoughts of cutting my hair in pony tails to salvage as much as possible for the kids... I will wait a little to see how the loss goes though.

I just had my second infusion today and feel pretty good. Last week was good. I just had some tired days, a bit of intestional discomfort, and minor hip pain. I was able to do my regular schedule except for the day after treatment. I layed around most of that day.

Thanks again and I'll visit you all more frequently now!

12/29/06 DCIS dx grade 2-3 with necrosis and focal early microinvasion
2/7/07 Partial Mastectomy and Sentinel Node Biopsy
2/18/07 dx .6cm IDC with DCIS 1.4cm, grade 2 ER-PR-HER2+++
neg nodes (3 taken), clean margins
3/20/07 Start 12 weekly Taxol - Herceptin, more Herceptin to follow
LittleLegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #18
DonnaD

LittleLegos,
First good luck to you. Doesn't it feel good to have the second infusion done. I first had A/C every three weeks x 4. Hair started coming out 14 days later. I used hats and had really thin bangs combed from the back to the front. I will never make fun of another man with a comb over again. My blood levels dropped and I needed nuelasta. Not sure if it was A/C, Nuelasta or the combination but the hair on my head all disappeared . I started Taxol and Herceptin every 3 weeks x 4 in Jan. I lost most of my eyebrows, eyelashes and all other hair on my body, but not on my head. I have thin peach fuzz which is growing very slowly and it is white.

I did get into intestinal issues on my third round of Taxol and Herceptin. If you get into similar problems don't try and brave it out. Talk to your onc or primary.

The wig you picked out sounds very nice. I got one close to my hair color and did it short. Then when my hair is back I can ditch the wig ASAP. My husbands insurance did cover the wig (we had met our deductable).
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #19
betlen5

Hi, I lost my hair on A/C. However, I did NOT loose any hair while on Taxol/Herceptin. I had 3months 1x's weekly of both and continued on Herceptin alone for 9 months. Had to stop due to progression.

Best of luck and keep us posted. Remember, it's only hair and better than the alternative...

God Bless.
Betty
8/2004 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr+ her2 3+ positive; dbl mas reconstructive surgery w/tran flap; no chemo or drugs
11/2005 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr+ her2 3+ positive; Taxol/Herceptin 1x weekly for 12 weeks; Herceptin for 9 months 1x 21 days
12/2006 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr- her2 3+ positive; Her 2 rechecked with FISH her2+++ er/pr-
3/9/07 Started Tykerb (Lapatinib) 1250 mg/once daily
Xeloda (Capecitabine 2000 mg/m2/daily 1-14 every 21 days
betlen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:37 PM   #20
LindaC

Location: Live in New York Monday through Thursday.Friday,Saturday,&Sunday Live in Cape May,New Jersey.
Wink

Hi!I lost my hair on the 14 day after starting taxol and herceptin I am now bald and on my 15 treatment no sign of it coming back yet.Still have eyebrows and few lashes.
LindaC is offline   Reply With Quote