HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
Vickilapp

Did you have surgery w/o doing chemo?

Hi everyone,
This is my first post on this forum.
I was diagnosed in September 2015, Her2+ er- pr- , stage IIb breast cancer in my left breast. I did treatments of herceptin and perjeta only from October thru May and they reduced the tumor from 5.5cm to small enough for a lumpectomy.

We did not get clear margins and began to use tdm1 / kadcyla to get rid of the residual cancer. By October 2016 I had a clear pet scan. Stayed on kadcyla thru March 2017 to reduce chance of recurrence. Then started on herceptin.

Unfortunately, I found a lump in the same area a few weeks ago. MRI revealed another 5+cm mass. No lymph node involvement. The oncologist recommended getting a mastectomy right away. Second opinions have recommended having chemo before the surgery.

Currently I'm waiting for a pet scan to be scheduled to make sure there is not disease in other parts of the body. I began taking artemisinin, Graviola, cbd oil, and pau d'arco, to hopefully reduce spreading while I'm waiting for surgery to be happen. Got back on a rigorous anti cancer diet.

I'm wondering whether to do chemo before the surgery or not.

I was hoping to avoid chemo, due to toxicity, peripheral neuropathy, and reduction of overall health. However if I do chemo, it is possible that the surgery could be a lumpectomy instead of a mastectomy. I'm not crazy about either having an implant or having a lopsided chest.

I would love to hear from any of you her2+ er-pr- sisters who did surgery and not chemo. What was your outcome?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
June 2016: began Kadcyla TDM-1.
October 2016: clear PET scan. No evidence of malignancy
Oct 2016-Feb 2017: continued on Kadcyla.
Feb 2017: began Herceptin only.
May 2017: found new lump. MRI shows multi-focal 5+cm.
May 2017: began taking Artemisinin (500mg 2x/day), graviola (1300mg 2x/day, plus evening tea), CBD oil (80mg in evening), Pau D'Arco.
June 2017: in addition to above herbal medicines, added Mistletoe (orally with tincture), Turmeric, Tibetan herbs.
Vickilapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Donna H

Re: Did you have surgery w/o doing chemo?

Hi Vicki
I went along with my surgeon's recommendation of surgery first(lumpectomy). Chemo wasn't discussed until I got he HER2+ dx. I did 6x TCH, then continued with Herceptin for a year. I also had 33 radiation after chemo ended. My only recommendation is to avoid taxotere. I am in the 10% that didn't get my hair to regrow (I have about a third of what I had pre-chemo). Yes I am very happy to be 3 years of NED since dx but as a working woman age 52 I would be a lot happier if I had my hair back. It's a little, vain, thing but I would have preferred to know the real statistics about treatment. I commend you for researching and reaching out for information. Stay strong and be your own best advocate.
Donna H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #3
Vickilapp

Hi Donna,
Thanks for the warning re. taxotere. I'm sorry that you had to find out the hard way about this side effect. Good advice about being your own best advocate.

I'm living in the unknown, gathering data to decide whether to do chemo or not, along with surgery.

I'm trying to make decisions from a calm, informed place, rather than a fearful, urgent mentality.

I'd like to hear to people who haven't done chemo with surgery, if anyone can tell me their experience.

Thanks!
May 2017: began taking Artemisinin (500mg 2x/day), graviola (1300mg 2x/day, plus evening tea), CBD oil (80mg in evening), Pau D'Arco.
June 2017: in addition to above herbal medicines, added Mistletoe (orally with tincture), Turmeric, Tibetan herbs.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:24 AM   #4
Lani

If you don't do the therapy before the surgery you will lose the opportunity to find out if the treatment is effective (by seeing the tumor shrink) and be left to wait and wait to see if you break a bone, get short of breath or get liver involvement because that treatment was not effective, by which time changing to another more effective therapy may be too late to do much but gain you some months. Treatments are most effective when given when there is not a lot of bulk of disease and before the cancer has spread widely to other organs. It might be helpful find out if your bone marrow is clear, but this is usually only possible in Germany or with some clinical trials like I-Spy.

In addition her2+ tumors are usually quite angiogenic and there is at least a theoretical argument to do a smaller than a lesser surgery to minimize chances of spread/recurrence.

I am not advising you go one way or the other, just to get as many options as you need and read as much as you can to help decide between the options with your eyes wide open

Best of luck with your decision

Lani
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #5
Vickilapp

Thanks, Lani, for sharing your understanding and knowledge about her2+ cancer. I understand about the value of the neo adjuvant treatment in shrinking the tumor so you know the treatment is effective.

What you're saying about angiogenisis is interesting. I wonder if there are holistic ways to deal with the angiogenisis to prevent growth.

I'm considering mastectomy without any chemo before or after. Or if chemo is not going to compromise my long term health, then do that and save the breast with just a lumpectomy and then do radiation.

I've got a pet scan tomorrow, and will be doing a biopsy soon.

Vicki
Old 06-08-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
waterdreamer

Hi Vicki,

I did a double mastectomy, and then tried to use natural therapies and diet instead of chemo. I have been in a constant battle since being diagnosed Stage IV. If I was to do it over, I would do chemo first to shrink or eliminate the tumor. I have implants and I hate them, they are hard cold objects that lie on top of my ribs. I would remove them, but I am fighting metastatic disease right now.
Nov 2009 Mets to lungs and bones.
Dec 2009 Start Taxotere and Herceptin, T1, T3 heal completely and lungs are clear, T2 and first rib have lytic lesions. First rib becomes sclerotic. Considered stable.
May 2011, Onc calls progression and I cross over from comparison arm of clinical trial to TDM-1
Brain scan in Sept 2011 showed small tumor in right cerebellum, did Novalis radiation.

Feb 2013 < 1cm tumor in left frontal lobe. Did Novalis in March and latest scan shows no sign of brain metastasis.
Aug 2013 did 36th round of TDM-1 Due to TDM-1 side effects, shortness of breath, and difficulty getting my balance when getting out of bed, agreed with my oncologist to stop TDM-1.
Took a six week break, bone scan showed small uptake on left first rib. CT showed hypodensities in liver (too small to biopsy) and small nodule in lungs (mediastinal).
Started Navelbine weekly. Did one round with Herceptin.
Skipped next 2 rounds, due to neutropenia. Next chemo 7th Nov - have had 3 Neupogen shots, so WBC should look better... Did not tolerate Navelbine well.
December 2013 scans show no sign of active cancer.
March 2014 - currently only on Herceptin - brain MRI clear, PET/CT two nodules in right lung show uptake
May 2014 - stop Herceptin.
Sept 22, 2014 Brain MRI clear :) PET/CT Progression in lungs.
Sept 2014, Xeloda, Tykerb and Herceptin.
Nov 2014 - Decide to take a break from all treatment.
May 2015 - Brain met radiated with Novalis
July 2015 - Have progression in right lung.
Sept 2015 - Perjeta and Herceptin alone after a 9 month break from all treatment.
Nov 2015 - Thoracentesis 1500ml removed from right lung.
Dec 2015 - Two tiny 1mm brain mets radiated in right cerebellum.
Feb 2016 - Thoracentesis 2200ml drained from right lung
Feb 2016 - Stopped Perjeta and Herceptin and started back on Kadcyla as I had no previous progression on it. After 1 cycle of Kadcyla markers begin to drop. On second cycle add Keytruda.
March 2016 - Thoracentesis 1650ml drained from right lung.
April 2016 – Thoracentesis 1500 ml drained from right lung.
June 2016 – CT scan shows progression in right lung, as well as moderate pleural effusion requiring Thoracentesis.
June 2016 – Decide to stop Keytruda, and will do chemosensitivity test through Rational Therapeutics. Plan to continue on Kadcyla for next two cycles.
July 2016 - Start weekly Abraxane with Herceptin. WBRT with hippocampal sparing, Taking Namenda. 15 sessions over 3 weeks.
Aug - Dec 2016 - 2 infusions of Navelbine, very hard on my body and still dealing with anasarca (generalized edema) 1 infusion of Havalen
My doctor wants to put me on hospice.
Dec 23rd 2016 - I am granted compassionate use of Neratanib.
May 31st 2017 - still on Neratinib, feeling good.
waterdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
Vickilapp

Dear Waterdreamer,
In reading your profile and your post, my heart goes out to you for all that you have gone through. I can see from your picture with your beautiful children that you have a precious reason to live.

Thank you for sharing your experience, feelings about your implants, and your regrets about not doing chemo earlier. It is very helpful for me to hear this as I evaluate my decisions. I may not have the statistics to help me make decisions, but hearing other people's stories helps me a lot.

When I got the recurrence, I felt regret about not doing radiation, not giving myself regular self-examinations even while I was on treatment, and falling off the wagon with regard to my good diet. When I shared these regrets with a friend, she refused to let me wallow in my regret, telling me that she believed that I made the decisions that were right for me, and don't beat myself up with these self-criticisms. That felt affirming for me.

As I have gotten additional feedback about the factors that may have allowed the recurrence, I wish that I had gotten 2nd opinions about next steps when the I didn't have clear margins from the 1st surgery. My oncologist recommended going on Kadcyla (TDM-1) to clear up the remaining cancer, and that seemed like a good way to go. Since the recurrence, I have had people tell me that I should have gotten another surgery to deal with the margins after the 1st surgery, rather than go on Kadcyla.

I hope you can forgive yourself for your choices, I know that you did the best you could that resonated with your values and beliefs. It is not easy making decisions about how to deal with these things. It has helped me to affirm that in spite of appearances, something wonderful is going to come out of this situation.

At this point for me, all the options that I feel like I am faced with involve some kind of loss that I don't want to have. Mastectomy: loss of my breast & my physical beauty. Reconstruction: loss of naturalness, with having something artificial in my body, plus setting myself up for future surgery. Chemotherapy: loss of my good health, and nerve damage. Natural remedies: risk of spreading rather than retreating of the disease. I want to keep bringing my spirituality into the picture to guide my choices. It helps a lot to hear other people's experiences. Thank you for sharing yours.

Vicki
Old 06-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #8
Spring

In 2012, I was diagnosed with dcis with possible microinvasive through ultrasound guided biopsy, her2 status was unknown, but it was very extensive. I saw three surgeons, two of them said that I just need mastectomy, my third opinion surgeon felt 75% chance that I had some invasive cancer somewhere through examination and I should do chemo first. I was very scared with chemo and I chose the easier option of just having surgery. Four and half years later, cancer came back in my axilla lymph nodes and lungs. Of course, I am regretful of not going with aggressive treatments at my first diagnosis.
Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #9
DianaMK

My experience is that at stage 1, I had chemo (A/C) and radiation and it still came back and spread to my lung and skin. I went to the Cleveland Clinic and they recommended chemo (TCH) before mastectomy. Less than 2% cancer cells remaining when they did the mastectomy. Granted the chemo is tough but here I am 7 years later at stage 4 and so thankful even though I had to give up my breast. Sorry you are going thru this. Wishing you the best.
Herceptin - one year
6/2010 - Stage 4 - lung and skin mets
Lung resection
TCH x 6
12/2010 - right mastectomy
On Herceptin
Scans every six months
11/2013 - stable continue to watch spot on lung
Continue on Herceptin
6/2016 - 6 years Stage 4 - stable - continue Herceptin
DianaMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 03:38 AM   #10
vickyjohn

Hi Vikki. My wife is Vicky also. She had 3 tumours in multifocal pattern in 09 aged 49 and went for chemo first then mastectomy. Taxotere + FEC +H ..Pretty hard but hair all back within a year or so . A couple of recurrences since and now on maintainance Kadcyla with NED at last scan and very healthy and well. The main thing is to keep the tumour burden as low as possible and that means surgery and chemo in my opinion. If you get it under control even if it recurs its is much more manageable and if it's oligometastatic even cureable. Wish you well.
vickyjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:26 PM   #11
Vickilapp

Thank you to those sharing their stories. It is interesting that even though some people did do chemo/surgery/radiation, they still had recurrence.

My PET scan report came back yesterday: no evidence of metastases. <sigh of relief>

My oncologist suggested that since I have already been on Kadcyla (9 months) and Herceptin (18 months), that if my tumor is still the same (HER2+/ER-/PR-) that he recommends getting a mastectomy and continuing on Herceptin, without further chemo. Others have recommended chemo.

I have a biopsy scheduled for June 19. If the receptor status has changed, I'll probably opt for chemo. If it is still HER2+, ER- PR-, then I don't know yet. Waiting is hard, as I've begun having sharp pains in the breast. After using a heating pad and Infrared light therapy, the pains subsided, but still happening a little.

vickyjohn: I appreciate your perspective about keeping the tumour burden as low as possible. My hesitation about chemo is that it compromises the immune system, making it too difficult for my own body to fight the disease. My immune system seem to get more compromised the longer I was on Kadcyla, as evidenced from getting one cold sore after another. My thinking is that because of that lowered immunity, I was bound to have a recurrence when I went off of it.

One thing about this forum, is that most people reading it are probably still trying to manage the disease. If someone cured their cancer and have moved on, they probably are not reading this forum any more. It would be good to hear their stories. Still, I appreciate hearing everyone's experiences.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #12
StephN

First thing to learn and keep in mind about cancer is that it is SNEAKY and hard to control. (You know this.) And HER2 positive tumors can spread like wildfire (as mind did), and there is nothing our immune systems can do at that stage. The cancer will have its way. This is how cancer kills - barges right through our immune systems.

Many of us here and on other support sites have used a variety of methods and means to stay among the living. Most of us have needed more than one way to fight, and hopefully rid, our bodies of the cancer scourge.

I am not a doctor, but you will see by my signature that I have long experience and have been in close contact with hundreds of women who have had breast cancer diagnoses over nearly two decades. Please do not think that you will be a lesser person if you need chemo. There are side effects, but I am still here and do not have any really difficult lingering side effects from all my treatments.

Bodies do recover, and heal. That is what I kept in mind.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:04 PM   #13
Catherine

Just a short reply to send support your way. See my treatment below. Luckily everything my doctors plannned worked. Chemo first, not fun, but I would do it again. I was 58 at the time and was told that radiated skin did not reconstruct well. My life is good and I am happy with the choices I made. I wear bras with prosthesis and totally works for me. Luckily I have had no recurrence. My best to all.

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:18 AM   #14
MaineRottweilers

Hi Vicki,
I don't visit as often as I once did so I am late in joining this conversation. I have little to offer by way of additional information. My story is short and simple: mastectomy, chemo, radiation, clear baseline PET, prophy mastectomy (I am flat, no reconstruction and no prosthetics) 18 months of blissful ignorance before metastasis, chemo, radiation, maintenance H&P and NEAD to current.

I hope you are doing well and have come to a peaceful conclusion regarding your treatment plan.
5/1/13 IDC ER/PR- HER2/neu+++
5/14/13 Mastectomy and SN biopsy
5/20/13 IDC Stage IIb Grade 3 Nodes 1/4 also IDC and DCIS multi focal in remaining dissected tissue.
5/30/13 MUGA and CT thorax, abdomen & pelvis, establish baseline.
6/4/13 Installed my little purple power port.
6/14/13 Chemo started TCH
6/14/13 Informed of suspicious ares on scans scheduled PET.
7/1/13 PET Scan NED!
9/27/13 FINAL CHEMO taken! ----well, maybe not.
10/15/13 Three little tattoos.
10/24/13 Radiation begins and fourth tattoo placed.
11/27/13 Perfectly radiant! Radiation completed the day before Thanksgiving and so, so much to be thankful for this year and every day hereafter.
1/2/14 Happy New Year, you have a Goiter? Muga down to 59%.
1/17/14 Hashimoto's Dz Dx'd. Now maybe I'll feel BETTER!
5/2/14 Herceptin completed! New kitten!
8/19/14 Prophylactic mastectomy (right) and PORT OUT! I'm DONE and now I really am a SURVIVOR.
2/15 Started not feeling so swell. Memory lapses and GI issues with nausea and blurry vision.
4/30/15 U/S cystic gallbladder, cyst on right ovary and mass in my uterus. GYN consult scheduled---and cancelled. I'm not ready.
5/4/15 Brain MRI clear (big sigh of relief)
7/30/15 Back Pain
8/31/15 Radiograph: compression fracture L2
9/10/15 Bone Scan positive
9/21/15 CT scan conclusive for tumor
10/1/15 CT guided biopsy & Brain to Pelvis MRI reveal additional lesions on spine C6, T10, T11 and L2 is collapsing.
10/8/15 Abbreviated pathology: new tumor(s) poorly differentiated carcinoma consistent with known breast primary.
ER-/PR+ (40%)
HER2/neu+++ Ki-67 4% Pancytokeratin AE1/3 Strong Positivity in all malignant cells.
10/13/15 Abnormal Dexa: moderate risk of fracture to both femoral head/neck R&L. Significant risk to lumbar spine.
10/14/15 Radiation consult back to the cooker.
10/20/15 MUGA 50% down from 54% after a year off Herceptin (???)
10/21/15 Kyphoplasty L2
10/22/15 Re-start Chemo: Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
10/26/15 PET Scan confirms C6, T10-11, L2, new lesion noted at L4 but no visceral involvement---Happy dance!!!
10//29/15 Xgeva
10/29/15 Radiation Simulation--three new tattoos to add to my collection. Just call me Dotty.
10/30/15 CA27-29 63 U/mol (<38 U/mol)
11/3/15 First Trip to see Dr. E. Mayer at DFCI
11/4/15 Surgical consult to re-install my little purple power port.
11/9/15 Radiation treatment one of five.
11/10/15 Installed my little purple power port and not a moment too soon, took them four tries to get an IV started today.
Yes, we really are going down this road again.
12/5/15 CT for suspected pulmonary embolism demonstrates increase in T10-11 mets.
12/8/15 Bone Scan uptake at T10-11 (not seen 9/17/15) & Right 8th Rib (not evident on PET 10/26/15)
12/10/15 Consult Re: PROGRESSION. Halt THP due today. Schedule PET and order TDM1 for next week. PLAN B.
12/14/15 PET scan: NO PROGRESSION! THP is working, metabolic activity minimal. Merry Christmas to me! Sticking with PLAN A, it's working.
1/7/16 Start Taxol weekly instead of Taxotere (has been too taxing and not rebounding between txs.) Zometa instead of Xgeva.
3/28/16 CT shows new sclerotic lesions on T12, L3, L5, L6, right ilium and head of right femur. No uptake on Bone Scan (progression????)
3/31/16 Discontinue Taxol start Arimidex, still getting H&P.
6/2/16 Discontinue Arimidex and start Exemestane.
6/18/16 PET is NEAD!!
7/1/16 Discontinue Exemestane and restart Armidex (SEs)
8/29/16 CT/Bone Scan Stable (still uptake at T10-11)
10/3/16 BSO pathology negative
10/10/16 MRI: Brain clear!
10/14/16 Switched care to Harold Alfond Center for Cancer Care
11/24/16 Xgeva, New MO preference to Zometa
12/12/16 CT/Bone scan Mostly stable significant uptake at L2 plan to PET
1/12/17 PET shows NEAD celebrate with a new puppy!
3/29/17 CT & BS = NEAD
7/31/17 Aetna denies access to H&P <gearing up for a fight>
8/4/17 CT& BS= STABLE
8/9/17 No treatment, Aetna still denying H&P
8/14/17 Aetna appeal approved H&P through February 2018!
2/5/18 CT & BS = STABLE

//
MaineRottweilers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternative medicine, chemotherapy, mastectomy decision