HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2014, 06:31 AM   #1
linn65

Round 2 herceptin/projeta & quit my job..

Today,

I see the doctor and will be asking questions about why stage 1v now without being in organs and bones. Also, stable vs NED.....

The SE I have had have been my ankles aching like when I was a teen getting cramps is the only way I can explain it. Runny, water, and sore throat which could be just allergies idk. I did accupuncture yesterday, and I didn't wake up in the middle of the night with my ankles aching.....

I did quit my job which in my mind I wonder or feel embarrassed to say I am going to be on social security if others ask what do i do for a living. I just knew with no time at work left because using it up on my last surgery in March and doctors appointments. Now, to do treatments every three weeks, if things do not turn out the way I hope then I didn't want to live my life at work with all the stress of working and needing time off for each appointment. I have never not worked, being single and the buck stops at me it's a bit scary. In my heart I knew I want to work hard, without worry, enjoy my life and if my life is cut short, and I came to the conclusion work isn't my life, and I want to live and not worry as I have the past two years about missing work for all the appointments and focus on living my best life. I will receive cobra for 18 months and fleeting thoughts about getting insurance for continued treatments scares me, but I tell myself don't worry and enjoy today it will all work out.....

I will sign up for social security 10/1/14 which I don't know how that all works. I was told I could maybe get my ex-husbands social security, and I was told I can't if he isn't deceased....so clueless about that too. However, I have been soooo blessed by my co-workers and manager working for me to get accelerated life insurance so all my bills are paid off, and I haven't pulled my retirement out yet. Another thing I have to figure out is pulling retirement and where to put it to help myself with paying the least on taxes.

It's strange to know on one side diagnosed and the doctor put in writing the cancer is terminal but a life insurance check to pay all my bills and money to live on in the other.....if anyone knows advice to give about the social security thing let me know. I am doing well with my OCD mind, but I have moments of fear and the what ifs....however, I feel at peace with my decision the majority of the time.

Btw I had a great 49 birthday party and danced so much my body was killin the next day but well worth it.
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
thinkpositive

Re: Round 2 herceptin/projeta & quit my job..

I quit my job also for a lot of the same reasons you mentioned. It is scary but at the end of the day I've never meet anybody who wished they would have worked more.

As far as social security, you should be able to get it pretty quickly if you are stage 4. They will accelerate processing your request because stage 4 is listed as one of the diagnosis that according to SS, get the "fast track". If you are stage 3c, you will likely still qualify but it may take months for SS to make a determination. I was stage 3C and applied for SS. However, I decided to withdraw my application because after all treatments I was NED and didn't feel disabled.

My understanding is that if you were married to your spouse for at least 10 years you can collect on his SS. I don't know how the process works or if he has to be full retirement age.

Glad you had a great time dancing on your 49th!
9/2013 After 1st round of chemo, mass in neck and breast no longer able to feel
11/2013 Hysterectomy, mass from PET/CT scan not cancer (adenomylosis)
12/2013 Finished chemo
1/2014 Double mastectomy with chest expanders
1/2014 Pathology report from surgery and SNB show complete pathological response!
3/2014 Finish IMRT radiation
8/2014 Fat transfer to radiated breast
8/2014 Completed 1 yr of Herceptin
10/2014 exchange surgery expanders removed implants placed
6/2015 3D nipple and areola tattoos
thinkpositive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
eva9310

I'm sorry for your diagnosis but hope that SS will fast track your file and hopefully remove the stress of that. I wish you the best and hope that you enjoy everyday!

Eva
eva9310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
kk1

Linn;
First I am so sorry to hear that you are stage IV but it sounds like giving your mind and body the space and time for the treatment to work is the right thing for now. With a stage IV DX it is very straight forward to apply and received ss disability. You can simply apply on line (I put the link below) and then they will call you to come in for a very quick interview.

6 years ago I felt the same as you, after 2 liver resections and a lung resection, I figured enough was enough even though I loved my job. I quit and applied on-line the same day....a few weeks later I was approved for ss benefits. I was on ss disability for 2.5 years and it allowed me to better take care of myself and have time with my family...at the time I really thought I did not have much time left on this earth and like you I did not want to spend it working. To my surprise and everyone else too, I again became NED ....I think partly because I did give myself the space to heal and fight. After a few years of NED I still missed my work and through the ss disability wages to work program I slowly went back part time. Don't despair you don't have to always be super woman--give your mind and body the space to get rid of the invaders.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/applyfordisability/
Sept 2004 NED-3 herceptin, zoladex,aromasin
Dec 2006 recurrence in liver
Feb. 2007 liver resection left lobe removed-herceptin, zoladex, switch to Arimidex
NED 16 months added zometa
May 2008 new lesion in liver 15mm Tykerb/Xeloda/Herceptin
July 2008 stable...yeah!
Sept 2008 NED again !!!
Jan 2009 fell off the wagon again spot back in the liver and fell out of menopause.
Feb 2009 RFA and 2nd liver resection to remove spot ---back on the NED wagon again continue Tykerb, Herceptin.
March 2009- oophrectomy added Femara and bi-annual Zometa
May 2009- scans clear but suspect lung nodule
June 2009- Lung VAT wedge resection to remove nodule---fungus ball not cancer!! phew
Aug 2009- NED
Nov 2009-scans again clear YAHOO!
March 2010- scans clear continue Tykerb, Herceptin, Femara, Zometa Q6mo
Nov 2009-Nov 2019 scans clear done every 6 months

Feb 2020 - Fell out of the NED wagon hard! single liver lesions and large infect cyst. 3 weeks in ICU.
March 2021- 5 cycles perjeta, herceptin, navelbine. lesion stable.
June 2021 - 3rd liver resection to remove single liver lesion. Continued perjeta, herceptin.
Nov. 2021- PET scan show 5 hot nodes near liver. 9 cycles Kadcyla
June 2021- PET scan shows progression. nodes size unchanged but even more SUV uptake.

July 2021- start ENHERTU
kk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
'lizbeth

I think that you will receive disability from Social Security, and not retirement.

The retirement looks like you cannot remarry before age 60 and your former marriage needed to be at least 10 years.

Sounds like everything is falling into place.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
Jackie07

Sounds like there's a lot of 'change' in your life the past few years. But the recent one seems to be reducing a lot of stress. You should get the SSD/I in just a few months.

Sending you good vibes.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #7
DianaMK

I applied for social security disability when I was diagnosed stage 4 and received it quickly. In regard to medical coverage, after being on disability for one year I was eligible for medicare. Depending on your financial situation you could also be eligible for Medicaid.

Enjoy each day without the added stress of work. Wishing you the best!
Herceptin - one year
6/2010 - Stage 4 - lung and skin mets
Lung resection
TCH x 6
12/2010 - right mastectomy
On Herceptin
Scans every six months
11/2013 - stable continue to watch spot on lung
Continue on Herceptin
6/2016 - 6 years Stage 4 - stable - continue Herceptin
DianaMK is offline   Reply With Quote