HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Rich66

Antigen Her2 vaccine progress (breast and prostate)

Prostate Vaccine Succeeds in Phase I Trial

June 09, 2009
by Lynn Shapiro, Writer
Antigen Express, a subsidiary of biotech firm Generex, told an American Society of Clinical Oncology meeting last week that its prostate cancer vaccine had proved successful in Phase I clinical trials in 29 men with various stages of prostate cancer.

"While Phase I trials are focused on safety, we took blood from patients and found that we got the immunological response that we wanted," Anitigen's president, Eric von Hofe, PhD, told DOTmed News.

"We also saw a decrease in PSA levels in some patients but as this is a Phase I trial, this evidence is preliminary," Dr. von Hofe said.

Antigen's compound, dubbed AE37, is actually a portion of the HER-2/neu protein that immune cells--specifically CD4 cells--are capable of recognizing, Dr. von Hofe says. He calls CD4 cells the "generals" of the immune system.

"Antigen's technology involves taking a fragment of the Her-2 protein in a critical region that immune cells recognize, and modifying it so that it more potently stimulates CD4 cells to fight cancer," he says.

Speaking about cancer vaccines' long road to success, Dr. von Hofe says that up until about a year ago, the field of cancer immunology was littered with failures. The first vaccine to show promise was one made by Dendrion for prostate cancer, called Provenge. The drug recently met its endpoint in Phase III clinical trials. FDA is now reviewing the drug and approval of the first cancer vaccine could be imminent.

"I'm personally convinced that active immunotherapy in cancer will be a significant weapon in oncologists' arsenal for fighting cancer in five to 10 years," Dr. von Hofe tells DOTmed.

Breast Cancer Trial

Meanwhile, he says Antigen's vaccine is in Phase II trials for breast cancer patients, whose tumors over-express the HER-2/neu protein.

He notes that Genentech's blockbuster drug, Herceptin--which also zeroes in on cancer that is over-expressing HER-2/neu--can be used only in patients expressing the highest level of HER-2, or about 25 percent of breast cancer patients. In comparison, Antigen's vaccine stimulates the immune system to recognize tumor cells in patients with a lower expression of HER-2, so that 75 percent of breast cancer patients would respond to Antigen's vaccine.

"We also believe that there could be a synergistic response if we use Herceptin with an immunological drug like AE37, but we haven't tried that yet," Dr. von Hofe says. "We're focused more on looking at AE37 alone."

He notes that Herception sales in 2008 were $1.8 billion, so the potential market for Antigen's vaccine would be even larger.

Breast/Ovarian Cancer Trial

Meanwhile, the company has started another phase I trial for ovarian or breast cancer patients. In that trial, Antigen is combining AE37 with another peptide that stimulates CD8 cells as well as CD4 cells.

"We're stimulating the CD4 cells--considered the immunological generals--with AE37. But there's another peptide to stimulate the infantry and those are the CD8 cells," Dr. von Hofe explains.

He says the prevalence of both prostate and breast cancer in the U.S. is high. There are 186,000 new cases of prostate cancer and 28,600 men die from the disease every year. As for breast cancer, there are 180,000 new cases each year and 40,000 women die each year.

Antigen and Generex

Dr. von Hofe was assistant professor of pharmacology at the University of Massachusetts when he met Robert Humphreys, who was professor of pharmacology there before founding Antigen Express in 1995. Dr. von Hofe joined Antigen Express in 2003, with a mandate to bring drugs from the bench to the clinic. Antigen was purchased by Generex (which trades on Nasdaq) the same year. Dr. Humphreys has since retired.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
AlaskaAngel

Re: Prostate vaccine progress (Provenge)

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/04/27...ef=igoogle_cnn
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Rich66

Re: Antigen Her2 vaccine progress (breast and prostate)

Yeah..different vaccine than Antigen's..but FDA approval of Dendreon's "Provenge" is good news for my Dad who is currently getting by on Degarelix, a hormonal therapy. Dendreon also has a Her2 BC version named "Neuvenge" in early phase.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Old 04-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
1rarebird

Am I getting this right or wrong: the vaccine being tested by Antigen Express, AE37, can target both cancers of the breast and prostate it they are Her2+? Since I have Her2+ male breast cancer, am I also at risk that my prostate could have Her2+ cells? I am staggered by the implications of this if it is true.

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
StephN

Wink Re: Antigen Her2 vaccine progress (breast and prostate)

We have been watching this one (Provenge) for 6 years now. The first submittal to FDA in 2003 was sent back for further information from the company. They had to restart their trial.

Made a tidy profit on the good news today! Should have bought more!

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Rich66

Bird,
I think the gist of things is that they are realizing some prostate cancers, as well as ovarian and gastric, have a her2 receptor, making them targetable by her2 based therapies. I have not seen anything suggesting male her2+ breast cancer increasing risk of prostate cancer of any variety. The Provenge vaccine therapy is not Her2 based. I do like the Antigen Her2 vaccine approach since it seems to be able to target tumors with lower Her2 levels, opening it up to more (75%) BC patients.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Old 05-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
1rarebird

Yes, as I think about this a little more, it seems to me that even if some of the epithelial cells in the ducts of the prostrate are Her2+, I suppose that does not necessarliy mean they will start to grow abnormally--perhaps the risk is greater that they can act up, but there is not a certainity they will. However, I will make sure that PSA assays and prostate exams are part of my continuing medical surveillance plan--just in case.

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote