HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Profiles In Courage
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2004, 12:43 AM   #1
Rhonda

My Story - Rhonda

I was diagnosed with stage 2b breast cancer in Feb. of 99. One lympnode was positve estrogren negative and Her2 positive. I underwent a lumpectomy had 4 rounds of AC and four of Taxol. Upon completion of chemo I had 37 sessions of radiation. In November of 99 I had completed all of my treatments was tired but felt good. Thought all of this was behind me and was just one of those bumps in the road. In March of 2000 I had a mammogram and had lots of microcalcification going on in the same breast so I had a mastectomy. In July had a check up with my onc. During the checkup he noted swollen lymp glands in my neck they were biopsied and were positive.
Cancer was staged and found to have met. to my liver. Lots of small tumors with one large one. We started on weekly doses of herceptin and taxotere. There was a trial going on at the time and the goal was to reduce the tumors so that I could participate in the trail. The trial was for a vacine (forget what it was called). Well through the grace of god a wonderful onc. and powerful meds the tumors reduced by 50% and I began the trial in Jan of 2001. I had positive results until Aug during which time I had disease progression. Was wondering why when I sneezed I about fell to my knees. It's amazing what happens when your liver is swollen. Anyway once again we started weekly doses of herceptin and taxotere. I have been stable and enjoy each and every day that I have.
My family and friends have been so incrediably supportive during this journey. Of course if this nasty disease disappeared I can not express the joy that I would experience however stability works for me. I've come to look at this a cronic illness that I live with. When all of this began I was 42 years of age had no family history of breast cancer and would never of thought that this was something that I would experience. Well I have and do. Breast cancer is a part of my life however it is not my life. I have so many wonderful things going on
because my goal is to enjoy whatever fruits come my way not to feel sorry for myself. A simple perscription that is working for me.