HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Breast Cancer Meeting Highlights
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Breast Cancer Meeting Highlights News fro recent ASCO and San Antonio Meetings

Old 12-15-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
AlaskaAngel

Comparison, ACT + Herceptin, TC + Herceptin

Second interim analysis, BCIRG 006:

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/pro...214&ID=6278883
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:40 PM   #2
RobinP

Hey, didn't Dr. Salmon tell us last year that topaII gene positivity meant that you needed AC. Now the BIRG is saying that AC may not be needed for her2bc so they must mean her2bc that is also not topa II positive.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
AlaskaAngel

blocks

One building block at a time....

(It IS nice to know that there just might actually BE a complete set. And I hope it includes the triple negatives when they DO find it.)
Old 12-18-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
janet11

topo ii?

I had understood that the topo ii simply meant that if it was neg, you were unlikely to respond to the A anyway, so why take it. Maybe the update will mean that a topo ii test may not be necessary since the TCH is better in ANY case.

It's going to be interesting to watch.

Janet

Dx July 2006 IDC 1.8cm, ER-/PR- HER2+ (FISH 7), KI67 High (60%) grade 3, TOPO II neg
Aug2006: lumpectomy, SNB (4 nodes neg), Stage 1
Jan 2007:
Finished 6 cycles of TCH (Taxotere, Carboplatin, Her ceptin). Then Herceptin every 3 weeks.
Feb 2007: Completed Radiation
May 2007: Stopped Herceptin due to low LVEF (49%)
July 2007: LVEF now 44% -- starting Coreg
May 2008: Heart NORMAL! Yippee.
janet11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
Becky

The updated results of the trial using AC followed by TH vs TCH vs AC followed by T is showing that the 2 Herceptin arms are coming together and there is no statistical advantage of AC followed by TH over TCH (and the survival and recurrence rates are running the same in these 2 arms over no Herceptin).

I saw this presentation personally given and Dr. Slamon is rethinking this Top 2A association. Secondly, it is being rethought because there were 4 cases of AML in the AC arms and none in the TCH arms.

In this and various other papers, adriamycin may be meeting its end. Although it works well in Her2 cancers, the addition of Herceptin to less heart toxic regimes is working out well (less heart effects in the TCH arm too).

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:39 AM   #6
cargirl0699

AC-TH or TCH?

I went to a medical onc on Tuesday and another one yesterday for another opinion. The one on Tuesday told me to do the AC-TH and the other said TCH. The onc yesterday showed me the study from BCIRG and that seems to be the better way to go. However, the onc from Tuesday doesn't believe there's enough evidence to support that TCH is better. I don't know if he's seen the study or not. I'm also not sure if I should have a Topo II test or not to help determine which way I should lean. The onc from Tuesday said that my chances of developing any heart issues is less than 1% but the study seems to indicate differently. Any opinions, comments, experiences, etc. would be helpful. Thanks!
cargirl0699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
joychittim

what is topo II test? 5 years before I was diagnosed with IBC- it was discovered I had HLTV I or II antibodies in my blood (people with leukemia or cronic fatique syndrome have this) but I wasn't sick. - I wonder if this has any connection with Her2nu?
there's got to be some clues they will find that will help women prevent this!!!
joychittim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #8
AlaskaAngel

Question HTLV question

Joy,

I was diagnosed in 2002 with HER2 positive IDC and DCIS. When my onc recommended chemo, I asked him if there would be any problem related to my prior history of possible HTLV I-II positivity, because some chemos can eventually cause leukemia and I wanted to know if being possibly HTLV positive might mean it would be more likely I might end up with leukemia.

The only reason the question of HTLV positivity came up for me at all was because at one point I had my blood tested for autologous blood donation for a surgery I had. I would guess that there could be others who never find out that they might be HTLV positive.

I do not know what the connections or problems might be for you and I.

-AlaskaAngel
Old 05-13-2007, 09:57 AM   #9
TSund

Please Help!! AC vs TCH

5/1 diagnosed locally advanced bc, ER+, PR+, HER2+, onco is recommending 4x AC dose dense 8 weeks + HT for 12 weeks.

I am so concerned about heart toxicity between the A and H, and have seen the reports from San Antonio. I am truly questioning whether TCH might be just as effective without running that risk. I also think Herceptin might be an immediate need, esp. as ER+ can be resistant to chemo?

ALso read that Herceptin at 3 week schedule is probably as effective as every week. Opinions? Advice?

Also, would like to know side effects of AC + TH vs TCH. (outside of heart risk)

Is TCH sometimes done dose dense also?

I am also questioning if ovary removal b4 chemo would be a good pre-emptive move. (100% er+ and 95%pr+)

PLEASE help. WE've only a couple weeks to figure this out. (doing preliminary scans and such right now) I am knocking heads with the onco on this so far, but will bring my printouts to her. She says we "need to bring in the big guns" but what I"ve read of the newer research so far doesn't necessarily say that AC is better. (I know it used to be looked at that way till very recently)

Thank-you,

Terri

Profcollege@hotmail.com
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote