HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-15-2004, 06:12 AM   #1
Steph N

Hello Everyone -
I have spent over 2 hours today trying to track down a flu shot for myself. Turns out my cancer center ordered vaccine from the British firm that couldn't ship. That goes for my GP's group and hospital. The little they CAN get is reserved for transplant patients, their caregivers and the at-risk children.
Tomorrow our local Albertson's grocery store is a shot location. I called there are they have only 200 doses and by the non-stop calls today expect over 500 people there well before the opening time of 10am.
The local district health clinic will take appts for NOVEMBER starting this Monday. They are full for flu appts for Oct. The local pharmacies that had shots scheduled have run out early and will not be open on the future dates they had scheduled.
Luckily my hubby's HMO has enough that he can get his shop (diabetic).
I sure hope you ladies who still have low blood counts will be able to find a shot someplace.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:26 PM   #2
Lolly

Oregon has mandated that only at-risk population will receive flu vaccine this year; in the area where I live all available vaccine has been pooled, and they estimate they only have enough to vaccinate approximately 25% of the at-risk group. All vaccinations have been suspended while they form a plan. It's kinda scary, don't know if I'll get one either. I'm just going to go into hyper reverse quarantine mode, as if I were still on chemo.

Love, Lolly
Old 10-15-2004, 09:56 PM   #3
Sandy H.

Regarding flu shots. This is what I have decided to do for myself. I am not saying anyone else should do it as we are all different and our bodies are so very different in what it responds to. I am letting someone else have my flu shot that is more ill then myself. I have not tried getting one here but I am hearing where its limited. In the past my family has been on the couch with colds, flu, coughing etc. I would almost panic for fear I would get whatever they had. Never did. There was a mix up last year, mostly my fault, and I did not get my flu shot. My blood counts have never been down so I am willing to take the chance and if I get it I will deal with it. Hopefully, I will not eat those words this winter. I am very careful about going out around people that are ill. I always call before visiting. My friends are very good about letting me know if they have something. Of course, the worse place is the hospital and the only time I go there is for treatment or testing. I know some of you will disagree on my decision but at this point I am comfortable with it. Hugs, Sandy
Old 10-15-2004, 10:47 PM   #4
Rozebud

I hear you Sandy. I think that's where I'm at too. I'm "higher" risk, but not as much as the elderly or someone with low WBC counts. However, I really wish I could find one for my 8 month old! I have a 28 month old too, but I'd really like to get one for the baby between the 3 of us.

By the way - how did your visit go yesterday - you were going to ask those nurses about the adriamyacin/her2 interaction?
Old 10-15-2004, 10:48 PM   #5
Jackie

Sorry to hear of your problems trying to locate the vaccine. My advice is to get onto the Nov list for your health dept asap, and just be extra careful until then. I missed it last year and was determined this year, and fortunately was able to get it at my onc's clinic last week. I work in an office with lots of women who have small children and am always concerned at what they might bring me unwittingly! I have been cautioned that my family members should not use the over the counter flu products with the weakened live virus. (Thankfully, my husband rarely gets sick anyway) I know it's stressful worrying about it and I hope you are able to get the shot soon!
Old 10-15-2004, 10:49 PM   #6
Jackie

You have a big heart, Sandy!
Old 10-16-2004, 09:57 AM   #7
Sandy H.

I did talk to the nurse this week and she said she would check it out for me. She did hear something about it but was busy at the time. She works lots of extra hours on the oncology floor as well as does treatments full time. She is just a bundle of energy and is excellent at what she does. I will let you know when I hear. My day yesterday started out bad but ended up nicely when I had a chance to spend my treatment time inspiring a young 35 year old. She has a 6 year old. Her partner wants out of the relationship. All because he is the only male to carry on the name and she will not be able to have any children with him. She was diagnosed in July and was to be married in Aug. He is very angry and is taking it out on her. I have been calling her once a week and trying to help her get some help. So sad. Hugs, Sandy
Old 10-17-2004, 11:56 AM   #8
michele u

I work in a dr. office. The whole U.S. has to go by the cdc recommendations this year. That means over 65, anyone with a chronic illness like diabetes, asthma and of course cancer. Children ages6 months to 36 months can also. Someone told me there is 1000Dollar fine if you lie! Is'nt that stupid? Like Sandy was saying, if everyone just uses their heads it will go smoothly. I can get mine at my office next week. But my husband and kids can't this year. I will just have to be careful if they get it.