HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 08-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
jkdowl

Stable...do I stop taxol and stay on just herceptin/zometa

It is a good problem to have but wanted advice from people with more experience than me. My oncologist mentioned today at my visit, the option to stop taxol since my last scans were stablle. I have been on taxol for 9 months and my peripheral neuropathy is getting worse and I am tired, but otherwise I am tolerating it okay. My next scans are scheduled for October, if they are still okay, she will let me stay on just herceptin and zometa. I was excited about this but nervous about the possibility of progression without taxol. I know it may progress either way but not sure what to do. Anyone treated with just herceptin for an extended period of time and doing well?

Thanks
Kim

Dx- 12/6/10- stage IV to bone
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa
CT scans and bone scan- STABLE 4/19/11, 6/12/11, 10/4/11
Stopped taxol 9/29/11
Continue herceptin,zometa
John Hopkins vaccine trial 4/12-11-12
CT scans and bone scan- NED 4/12, 7/12, 10/12, 2/13,6/13
Brain MRI-clear 6/13
Left breast progression 8/14, Ct scan and bone scan-clear
brain MRI- clear
Mastectomy left breast 9/14

jkdowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
LLL4444

Re: Stable...do I stop taxol and stay on just herceptin/zometa

I haven't visited this site .. well, since 2008 the page is telling me.

I was 39 when diagnosed stage IV, ER+ PR- HER2+ with bone mets. That was January 2006. I had three AC treatments, 12 Abraxane+Herceptin, then remained on Herceptin/Armidex/Zometa. I still get Herceptin every two weeks and now Zometa only once a quarter.

I am NED ... still stable. I hope that helps.
LLL4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
chrisy

Before I started treatment, the plan was to do 6 cycles of T/C/H, then continue on herceptin "indefinitely". The thinking was that I would get the most benefit in those first 6 cycles, then maintain as long as possible on herceptin. You need to conserve your "resources" so your body can fight the cancer, so it's quite reasonable to take the break from chemo and keep an eye on the situation.

I got 2 years out of herceptin alone before recurring, so it's definitely possible!
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
KristinSchwick

Kim,
Like you I have isolated bone mets that are *fingers crossed* stable or regressing (no scans planned, just going off tumor markers) and I was initially ER-, PR- and Her-2+. But after my doctor discovered the bone mets slow growing behavior, he retested my lymph nodes and found it was now ER+. He said that it is very unlike ER- cancer to stay isolated and grow slowly in the bones, it is much more typical of ER+ cancer. I'm sharing this because it is worth mentioning to your doctor as ER+ mets are really responsive to hormone therapy.

It had never occurred to me- but it is not uncommon for mixed cancer types, especially if you had two areas of cancer in your breast initially.

As far as treatment, like you I stopped the big guns awhile ago and am really enjoying life on Tykerb, Herceptin, Femara- and I just got my ovaries out. My doc also wants me to stop the Tykerb, but I'm hanging onto the hope that the double Her-2 attack will prove useful in my battle. I totally agree that breaks from chemo are necessary, its good to reserve our energy so that we can be ready for the new drugs they are developing for us, and to clear out bodies of all the nasty chemo side effects. I'm all about quality of life.

Best of luck in your battle. Great name (BTW), my sister's name is Kim too.
March 2011: 6 wks rads.
Mother passed, lower back pain.
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
October 2011: Bone progression; Gemzar and Carboplatin & restarted Herceptin.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Dec 2012: aromasin
Jan 2013: faslodex, herceptin, tykerb
Jun: Kadcyla
Aug: Rads to hip, then Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
Nov 2013: Perjeta, Herceptin, Halaven
Early 2014: Affinitor, Aromasin, Perjeta, Herceptin.
June 2014: Estradiol, Perjeta, Herceptin
Aug 14: Tamoxofin, H & P
http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/
KristinSchwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
jkdowl

Kristin, I have been off Taxol and on just Herceptin with No active disease since October 2011, but I am interested in retesting pathology. Did your doc retest the previosly obtained pathology samples, because I have no enlarged lymph nodes any longer after chemo. At original diagnosis, i had both tumors and one lymph node biopsied. I have not had any surgery either.

Dx- 12/6/10- stage IV to bone
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa
CT scans and bone scan- STABLE 4/19/11, 6/12/11, 10/4/11
Stopped taxol 9/29/11
Continue herceptin,zometa
John Hopkins vaccine trial 4/12-11-12
CT scans and bone scan- NED 4/12, 7/12, 10/12, 2/13,6/13
Brain MRI-clear 6/13
Left breast progression 8/14, Ct scan and bone scan-clear
brain MRI- clear
Mastectomy left breast 9/14

jkdowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
schoolteacher

My doctor would like for me to stop Tykerb too, but I want to stay on it because it passes the blood brain barrier. I like the fact that it attachs to another HER2 receptor too. I started back on Femara last week.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #7
KristinSchwick

Kim,
Actually I didn't have any additional biopsies done- instead my doc dug up my lymph nodes that were taken at the time of my mastectomy, over a year ago. They save all tissues in the case of future needs- and then he had the lymph nodes tested for ER status. And interestingly they do not routinely check ER status in the lymph nodes AND in the breast tumor- they assume that they are one and the same cancer. Not the case for me. Apparently they only check the lymph nodes for the presence of cancer- not the receptors.

Amelia- wow, you and I are on the same page exactly. I too want to stay on Tykerb because it passes the BBB. I did cut my dose down to only 3 pills a day- so much easier.
March 2011: 6 wks rads.
Mother passed, lower back pain.
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
October 2011: Bone progression; Gemzar and Carboplatin & restarted Herceptin.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Dec 2012: aromasin
Jan 2013: faslodex, herceptin, tykerb
Jun: Kadcyla
Aug: Rads to hip, then Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
Nov 2013: Perjeta, Herceptin, Halaven
Early 2014: Affinitor, Aromasin, Perjeta, Herceptin.
June 2014: Estradiol, Perjeta, Herceptin
Aug 14: Tamoxofin, H & P
http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/
KristinSchwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Rich66

Quote:
they do not routinely check ER status in the lymph nodes AND in the breast tumor- they assume that they are one and the same cancer. Not the case for me.
Wow..tumor heterogeneity raises its ugly head again. As much as I've considered this in mets, hadn't thought of the issue in adjuvant postive nodes...a sort of pre-mets scenario. I guess any time tumor is found/messed with..push for analysis.
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #9
potra

Location: I live in a small town (pop7,000) in rural Spain. I've been living in Spain since 1970.

I agree with Kristenschwick-my bone mets are primarily osteoblastic which is more typical of ERpositive (I'm negative), The plan (Mayo Clinic recommended this) is to biopsy an active bone lesion to see if that status is different and open up a new possibility of treatment.
Your increasing neuropathy is reason enough to stop treatment and Herceptin /with or without Tykerb and Zometa or Xgeva usually give good results as long as there are no cardio side effects- periodic echocardiograms are recommended.
Good luck and enjoy your vacation from Taxol!!!
potra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #10
Jackie07

Looks like y'al have had experience with bone mets. Could you share some tips on how to control bone pain with Chrislmelb using the link below?

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...130#post272130

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 05-15-2012 at 01:59 AM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote