HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
jml

Radiation Pellets to treat liver mets?

Hi All~
So we got a little light of hope through the clouds after learning that my scan results were "mixed" after 8 weeks of Ixempra/Herceptin.
While the combo has done an amazing job cleaning up the nodes in my belly, and I'm clinically much improved, and I do feel much better, my poor liver didn't respond, even progressed.
It's been a long week with lots of doctors visits, but we have a plan in motion, and that is so helpful.
1)I'm continuing on another cycle of Ixempra to finish cleaning up my belly
2)Traveling to Indiana next week to IU to get screened for their TDM1 trial - though it's just to be wait-listed for if/when they open up the trial again - just gotta get on their radar
3)Radioative pellets directly to liver to hit those mets in there. We just met with the surgeon today, and this is what he proposed. He'll present my case at the group conference next week, then tell me their recommendations, though he believes this is a good option.
Does anyone have any experience with either the trial @Indiana or the radioactive pellets?
It's been so hard feeling like we're in limbo, with so few options, but this plan makes me feel more optimistic and pro active.
I would so appreciate any feedback or experience you guys may have.

Keeping the faith~

Jessica
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Lori R

Re: Radiation Pellets to treat liver mets?

Jessica,

I am so happy to hear that you have a new plan!! A little clean up and then another weapon for the final punch. Sounds like a great idea.

Sorry no experience with the pellets. Did they consider RFA or the cryoablation?
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Rich66

Should be a link to beatlivertumors.org and a support group:

Liver mets
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...053#post221053

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
jml

Thanks so much!Re: Radiation Pellets to treat liver mets?

Thanks so much for the kind, encouraging words.
And Rich, your support, resources and guidance are always invaluable.THANK YOU!

I don't believe I'm a candidate for RFA or cryo this time around because there are multiple clusters. I did have RFA back in Jan 05 when there was only a single met in the R lobe and NED everywhere else. It wasn't completely successful and I ended up having a R hepatectomy in Dec 05, that kept my liver NED until last November.
In reading the info in the link Rich provided above, I'm so encouraged to read "multiple sites of disease within the liver can be selectively irradiated in a single procedure..."
and also "studies found that the addition of systemic chemotherapy was effective in potentiating the efficacy of SIR-Spheres, as well as having an effect on extrahepatic disease, resulting in a significantly improved survival benefit"
So it sounds like our plan of continuing on the ixempra to clean up the rest of the belly nodes AND the SIR Spheres is exactly the combo we need.

Thank you again for the support and the information.
I've been so scared - feeling hopeless. And then so sad because my sister who's been staying with me for the past 3 weeks left to go home today. I'm still feeling uncertain about how I'm going to manage without her...how did manage to do it all before?

But this information has really brightened up my day.
I feel hopeful and confident that I can do this.
That I can beat the monster back again.
Knowledge is power, and I feel powerful again.

Thank you Thank you Thank You~

Jml
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Joan M

Jml,

You went almost five years NED in liver with hepatectomy? That's impressive. I have to keep that local procedure in mind, as I believe in looking under every rock for therapies to keep the cancer away.

Praying the SIR Spheres work to eradicate those stubborn mets.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
juanita

Just crossing my fingers that this works for you.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
chrisy

The SIR approach is very exciting, isn't it? I saw a talk at San Antonio that included some discussion of this technique. It's like science fiction only better - because it's actually happening!

Glad you have such a good medical team working with you.

I don't know what TDM1 trial you are trying to get into, but I agree - get on the radar so you have a better chance to get in because they do fill up fast.

I'm in a different TDM1 study - I was in the Phase II study of TDM1 as a single agent every 3 weeks, it has been a remarkable therapy for me. I completed the 1 year on that one and am in an "extension study", and had my treatment #35 I think last week. The extension study is, I think, to get longer term data on efficacy and side effects. If/when you get closer to being in a TDM1 study, I have a lot of experience there
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
schoolteacher

JML,

Please let us know what you learn about the procedure. Hope you are feeling better today.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
Unregistered

Jml,
I was wondering if you were able to get into the trial? If you did, was it successful? My best friend is 33 and was diagnosed with EHE Liver Cancer and her doctor wants to try the pellets, but she is afraid. Right now she gets chemo and radiation once a week. What are your thoughts?
Thank you,
Teri