HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #1
carlatte7

Re: Do you ever stop thinking about cancer?

Coincidentally...today is the 2 yr anniversary of my partial mastectomy aaaaand....i forgot. Yep, totally forgot. Now, it wasa crazy busy day, but i did not think of having cancer until 1030 tonight. Onco appt next month and surgeon appt in october will be preceded by 2 weeks of near paralyzing anxiety, but for today, there was peace.
May1- first chemo.
May 5- I could no longer feel the mass. Really. Neither could my oncologist.
July 2- 4th TCH- Oncologist cancels last 2 tx due to "complete response"
August6- lumpectomy with axillary node dissection. No disease present in breast. 1 out of 14 nodes + (4mm)
MUGA #2- 72%
Finished 30 rads Oct '12. Mild lymphedema noticed when I had 2 rads left.
Continue Herceptin q3w until next May
April '13- first mammo since surgery- calcium deposits that are " not concerning." Well, they are concerning to ME! Turned loose from surgeon for 6 months! One more Vit H, will make plans then for port removal.
Oct '13- no change in calcium deposits. "See ya in 6 months!" Keeping port for now.
March '14- oncologist says return in 6 mo.
April '14- mammo unchanged. Surgeon will see me in 6 months but no mammo for a year unless something changes. Its getting easier, but oh, boydo i hate that scanxiety! Keeping port until 2 year anniversary of last Herceptin.
Sept'14- bloodwork good, return to onco in 8 months.
Oct'14- surgeon will see me in April '15. Moving on.
May '15- mammo unchanged, keeping same schedule. Tumor markers soon and if all is well port comes out.
July '15-tumor markers normal. See onco in a year. Appt. for port end of month. First grandchild born July 1st- for today, life is good.
carlatte7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Do you ever stop thinking about cancer?

I think about cancer every day. Several times a day. It just pops up. I think of the lessons I've learned and I smile. I think of the friends I've made that I'd never have met otherwise, and I smile.

I talk to my body. Several times every single day. I remind myself to be, or try to be, STRONG, BRAVE and DETERMINED. I inform my body, and the Universe -- HEALTHY AND WELL. NO MORE CANCER.

I've been saying that since around April of '99. I had metastasized in '98. I started out at 4th stage, w/2 out of 21 lymph nodes involved. They didn't test for HER2 in '95. In '98 when I recurred, throughout my liver, I asked to be tested, even though Herceptin was still in clinical trials. I'd been reading up.

I was found to be HER2+ 80% (which is how they staged it back then). 1 mnth later, Herceptin was fast-tracked out of clinical trials and made available for metastatic bcers. LUCKY ME! I stayed on H for 10 yrs.

Been off for 6 years!

Stable for 15 yrs.

Yes, I think about cancer everyday. Which is when I spring into action and remind myself to be Strong, Brave and Determined. And then I emphatically tell my body -- HEALTHY AND WELL! NOOO MORE CANCER! And I smile...

Stick with positive. I can't help myself.

Wishing you joy and wellness!

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote