HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
linn65

Tamoxifen vs AI clarity....

I went for my 2nd opinion whether to take the arimidex prescribed by onc after hormone testing...she said it was a useless endeavor for someone like me. I was pre- menopause when starting. And since chemo and tamox for a year those tests would show post-menapause, and I would need to be off tamox for at least 6 weeks to even get a blood test to show that. Also, the AI would cause more harm than good because it would stimulate my brain to mAke more hormones to make my ovaries wake up. Back on tamox for the rest of 5 years.

2nd a trial is being done called SOFT in removing your ovaries she said they will have those answers in June or December if that would make a difference and right now they simply don't know that answer.

My feet and hands.....my joints want estrogen and that causes pain in hands and feet. Adding a new vitamin called glucosamine hci and some people it helps and some it doesn't. I should know in 30 days. If it does nothing don't take it.

Dr. Kathy Miller was a wealth of Info and explained in detail tamox vs an AI for me. I am thankful for the referral from this board.....

Now just between adding the vitamin D and the glucosamine hopefully it makes a big difference in hands and ankles/feet....it's strange how my ankles, wrists and even neck pop now....I am like the tin man in the Wizard of Oz and need to be oiled up.
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #2
IrvineFriend

Re: Tamoxifen vs AI clarity....

Hey Linn,

Nice seeing you again. Sound like you have a game plan. Hope you're getting out from under the snow and doing OK. Hoping the joints start behaving!

xoxo

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
Becky

You know, that Tamoxifen/AI thing happened to me. I went on Tamoxifen after radiation was over but really wanted to go on an AI because they are better but only work if you are post menopausal. I was 46 then. I had not gotten my period since my second chemo. So, we did the bloodwork which showed I was post menopausal. My onc switched me to Arimidex. About 6 weeks later, my period came back. I will never forget it as it was a Sunday and I didn't know what to do (about taking the Arimidex) so I called the office and left a message. Oddly, my onc was on call and called me and told me not to take it. My gyn saw me the next day and scheduled an ultrasound in 2 weeks. At that point, the gyn said that not only was I not post menopausal, I should be (sexually) careful as my ovaries both were about to pop an egg each (luckily my DH had a vasectomy several years prior). So my gyn and I talked and talked and I ended up getting an ooporectomy in 3 weeks. 3 weeks after that, I started Arimidex.

So yes, an AI can wake you up if you are on the pre/post edge as I was. If you look up alternative ways Arimidex is used, it can be used to help infertility (but you have to be premenopausal for it to do so).

I knew getting the ovaries removed is a bonefide way to be post menopausal. Hopefully that study shows it has benefit as well.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
'lizbeth

Hey Linn65,

I've been thinking of you and hoping that you were feeling better with the Vitamin D supplementation.

I am so glad you had that 2nd opinion with a Doctor that has expertise and cares about your health.

Wonderful information.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #5
roz123

Linn - im in the same boat. Pre-meno on tamox when my periods returned about a year after chemo ended. I was tested several times and told I was menopausal but was NOT advised to go on an AI for exactly the reason Becky stated. Although it wasn't explained to me that they ovaries wake up only that being young we could snap out of menopause very quickly which I did (had my levels drawn 4 months prior to the p returning and it said I was meno)

as for ovarian suppression/removal - yes this is the BIG question. Does it offer an advantage. Answer is that until the results of the SOFT study are released they just don't know. They were supposed to be released at San Antonio last year but according to my onc they had so few incidences (reccurances) that the study was extended

I am having my ovaries shut down right now using Zoladex (like Lupron) if the studies show no benefit I will go off the shots - it there is a survival benefit I will pursue ovary removal.

for what its worth my second opinion onc at Dana Farber said tamox alone even with the return of periods was sufficient so yes there is no "standard of care" on this issue

anxiously waiting results myself as I really feel like cutting off your estrogen to early can lead to other serious health issues like heart and bone health
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
prophy bi-msx with TE's oct 15/12
LD flap reconstruction (PM me if you want the details)
zoladex shots monthly until SOFT studies come out
roz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
Becky

I also want to add other reasons I had my ovaries removed.

1. my paternal grandmother died from ovarian cancer
2. Several cousins, 2 aunts, my mother and my sister also got breast cancer. We have all tested (some recently where there are new findings) and we are all BRCA 1 & 2 negative. However, our cluster may not be environmental as the cousins grew up in different locations. Also, many of my mother's aunts and grandmother died from "some" type of cancer. My mom thinks Breast because nobody talked out loud about sexual organs then.
3. Maybe one day our family will find that we are positive for something that is newly discovered - "BRCA 3 or BRCA 4". That said, it is well studied and researched that removing the ovaries is beneficial for those that are BRCA 1 or 2 positive. Perhaps this was "scientifically" the best thing to do.

At the time, I was very afraid of ovarian cancer which my grandma did die from. It does not have as good odds as breast cancer. There were alot of pros and peace of mind for me to do this besides going on an AI. So I do want to clarify that using an AI was not the only reason.

Hopefully the SOFT study looks at segmenting the results - those who are BRCA positive, those who are not and those who are not but have a strong family history. Doing this helps because just think if they had tested Herceptin on everybody - statistically it would have failed because it only helps a small population but not everyone and it would have failed. Oophorectomy may be life saving for a certain population of those with breast cancer. They already know it helps the BRCA 1 & 2 population.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
tricia keegan

I also decided at 46 to have an ooph and take Arimidex, I've had no regrets and continue to take it daily and will be interested in the results from that study.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
linn65

I have osteopenia and have had it for several years before BC. The AI does not help with that and I would probably fall down and break a bone.

I was truly amazed that "Me" being on an AI and having the Mirena which caused my periods to stop 4.5 years ago made going on an "AI" even much more complex. I recorded our conversation, so I could listen to it and digest all the information she was giving me.

She explained it that Tamox was like an Umbrella for someone like me pre-menapausal when starting treatment. She believed my ovaries were probably in the stuttering phase meaning peri-menapausal. She said if the "Soft" trial comes back and it would be beneficial for someone like me then we will re-visit that idea. She said she doesn't like the ovaries simply because they are tricky little devils!! BUT, she still would wait for "me" to remove my ovaries (which I didn't want to do anyway). We did not discuss any advantages/disadavantages removing my ovaries except we still don't know if for someone like "me" the benefits.

The biggest thing I was "WOW'ed" by was me being on an AI could cause more hormones in my brain to release which in turn would try even harder to wake my ovaries up and we don't want that to happen because we don't want to make any estrogen. She said my ovaries could even be 25% awake, and I wouldn't have a period or know it. I could do all the hormone test's I had done by 1st ONC every week and could get a different result. Basically, all the tests would be convulted. My brain, my liver, and something else all make estrogen and the bloodwork would be different every week or month we did these tests and it was a useless endeavor (In my mind I wanted to smack or plummel the first ONC, a Man )!! For me an AI have all these unanswered questions but tamox is tried and true which I knew but did not understand, why.

No one in my family has had any kind of cancer. I am negative for BRCA #1 and BRCA #2.

Yes, I want to chop my foot off today (just one today)!! But I did drive 8 hours on Thursday and back home 8 hours or longer (I got lost even with my GPS on Iphone I didn't multi-task very well). I watched my son play his last seasonal college game and spent a couple days with him....

Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

Margin of excision
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

February 2014 Nip & Tuck

Old 03-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
linn65

One more thing I had no idea how much your body needed or wants estrogen!! She said it was like I hit a brick wall instead of the natural progression of going through menapause and my feet and hand pain would have been something I would have had anyway just not as harsh and quick. But I just hit it hard and fast because of chemo, radiation and tamoxifen. She said her feet absolutely kill her by night time too and it was from menapause.

Margin of excision
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

February 2014 Nip & Tuck