HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-19-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
Pam P

update - what to do?

From my previous post a couple of weeks ago... I still have the rash on arms, legs, neck, face and swelling under each eye. I also have the worst mouth sores ever.

I saw the onc. today. Tumor marker ca2729 UP again - now 2991! Current tx not working. He took me off everything: xeloda, tykerb, herceptin, aromasin. Want me to take 2 weeks off and hopefully get all these side effects or allergic reactions cleared up. I actually stopped taking the oral stuff on Monday myself.

In 2 weeks I'll see him again and decide next tx. The 2 choices are:

1) abraxane, herceptin (& continue zometa). I haven't had abraxane before so this could work okay for me.

2) tdm1 eap .... IF I can show progression on xeloda. The raised tm's don't count - it has to show on a scan. My last pet/ct in early July was stable. I will have another scan within the next week or so.

If scan is stable I don't qualify for tdm1 according to research study nurse, so then abraxane is my tx. If scan shows progression (I don't want to even hope for progression) then I can maybe qualify for tdm1 eap.

The closest place for me to get tdm1 is in Cedar Rapids IA - about 280 miles from me. This would be a hardship for me in travel, expense, schedule coordination etc. I don't think I can drive that far by myself these days so will need to find people to go with he. I couldn't do it in one day either so each trip would include an overnight stay.

My onc. says he'll support either choice. He thinks the tdm1 "might" have better success for me - but only slightly and just a guess on his part - not a vote one way or the other. As excited as we all are about this new drug it's still not a magic bullet. My onc. also says whichever one I go with now.... when it fails the other one will be in my future anyway so it's just a matter of which order to choose.

genentech tells me there are 9 eap sites open now. They plan to have 20 open in the US but cannot tell me where or when others might be. There already is a clinical trial here in Mpls (which I don't qualify for) so maybe if I go with the abraxane now I can get the tdm1 loacally later - either on eap or fda approval. If not I could still arrange to go to IA.

So I'm thinking .... will see what the scan shows before I get too committed to one choice just in case nothing new shows up. In the meantime I have sent records in to Cedar Rapids site but can do no more right now.

Now I'm headed for a lovely meal of mashed potatoes and popsicle for dessert which is all I can tolerate in my mouth today.

Pam
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Carolyns

Re: update - what to do?

Hi Pam,

Oh gosh... I think that it is a good thing that you may have two choices. It is hard to say what to do. I travelled for TDM1 and it ended up costing me about $15k and some other more than what we would call bumps in the road.

Are you going to have CT Scans or just PET? My docs won't move on PETs alone.

I am sure that you will make the right choice whatever you go with.

Love, Hope, Peace, Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Pam P

Carolyn - 15K!!! that's out of my range so that may be my decider right now - too bad it comes down to $$, but that's reality too. I am going to get a pet/ct. Yes, it is good I have choices. Pam
2/02 tamoxifen
2/05 herceptin/aredia
12/12 ablation of liver
Old 08-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Lori R

Pam,
So sorry that you are back into decision mode. It does sound as if your approach is well thought out, so when more data is available you will make the decision that you are comfortable with.

I just wanted to provide you reassurance if you decide Abraxane is the next step.

I was on it last year via weekly cycles. It was VERY tolerable. Due to the Alubium coating, it is better targeted to tumor cells. If your system needs a break, this would seem like a good option.

Really....no mouth sores, minimal hair loss, no neuropathy.

Keep us posted and we'll be our sounding board for confirming you decision.
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
chrisy

Pam, I could be thinking of someone else but I think Carolyn traveled a long distance - so had flights as well. I doubt the financial impact would be as severe for you, bit would not be free (unless you could get help from insurance on this).

Still, even 280 miles is a long long way to go, and as you say would involve overnight travel (at least until a site closer to you opened up).

Much as I am a proponent of TDM1, it sounds like it could be very draining - part of your decision might be "am I up to it" vs. getting the abraxane locally first. Your onc is right, which one would work better is just a guess; but remember one of the more remarkable things in the early TDM1 studies was the number of prior therapies. And it works so differently that I remain hopeful it would perform better than expected.

You will make the right choice for you, just listen to your heart. In the meantime, mashed potatoes and popsicles will help.

Hugs,
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
Mary Anne in TX

Pam, the mouth sores are totally the pitts. I remember standing out on the point by my condo looking at the water and just crying giant tears, my mouth hurt so much. Then I'd get mad, eat ice, and go some more. I think when you get some relief from the mouth sores and other crumby stuff, your mind will get peaceful about which decision to make.
If you do decide on the trip, isn't there an organization that pays for your room if you have to stay over for treatment. My brain won't recall the name of the org., but I remember visiting with a patient in the radiation waiting room who was riding the bus and the bus and room were paid for by some org. Wish I could remember more. Maybe someone will know who to call.
Much love to ya, ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
sassy

Pam,

You might try cancercare for help with travel. I know a a few people that have received travel funds from them.

http://www.cancercare.org/get_help/a..._financial.php

You might also check the links listed under the Resources tab here on HER2support. There are several foundations and organizations that might be beneficial to you.

I hope the discomfort subsides for you very soon and your next step leads to success.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #8
Jackie07

Pam,

Mouth sore is aweful. Have you been using the special mix for it? There's a thread on the subject using the mix of maalox, leidocaine, and...? It had worked for me during chemo.

I thought the American Cancer Society has a service to drive cancer patients to their appointment. Have you talked to your local chapter about it?

Sending you good vibes...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:45 AM   #9
Ellie F

Pam
Have you tried manuka bee propolis for the mouth sores?? A herbalist recommended it and it worked really well for me. Since then a number of others have tried it with good effect.
I am sure you will be able to get it in the States but if you have any problems I would gladly send you some.

Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:33 AM   #10
Lien

Hi Pam,

This is a complex situation. Not only are you dealing with possible progression and choosing a new tx, you also seem to be having allergic reactions. Can't really help you with the first decision, as you seem to have it all thought out and it's a waiting game right now. You may want to try a bicarbonate of soda rinse. A teaspoon in a small glass of water and rinsing and gargling may give you some relief.

Hang in there!

Hugs

Jacqueline
(who used to suffer from terrible mouthsores because of an allergic reaction to composite fillings in her teeth)
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
ElaineM

Wink Re: update - what to do?

Even though the road may be bumpy at times I honor you for hanging in there !! You are a great lady !!
Have you tried putting things in a blender and making purees or smoothies? That would give you more nutrition while you work through the mouth sores.
I enjoy making juices from a variety of fruits and or vegetables. I make some of my own soups and pasta sauces. I have been making alot of juices, and a little soup for a friend who had to have her jaw wired shut after a serious bike accident. Can you drink almond milk? It is quite good and comes in a variety of flavors.
I heard ice cubes are good when a person has mouth sores. What about making some juice and putting it into ice cube trays to suck on when you feel like something cool and soothing? You can buy ready made juice and do that if you don't feel up to putting things into a blender.
I can't tell you what to do about the drugs. That is your decision, but I would take some Abraxane with Herceptin or Tykerb until the T DM1 becomes more accessible.
Good luck. I have all my fingers crossed for your success. Take good care of yourself.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #12
Joan M

Pam,

I'm sorry to hear that your tumors markers have gone up and that you're dealing with severe mouth sores.

I think your onc did the right thing taking you off everything for a few weeks so that you can regroup physically and emotionally. I also agree with what he said about going either route with the other route being available. The scans will help in making your choice.

I'm glad you have a few choices.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #13
Carolyns

Pam - Chrisy is right. I flew round trip from Florida to Detroit every week for 12 weeks in the study. Prior to that I had to go to Detroit about 6 times to get in the study. In addition to the airfare I paid for daily meals about $60 per trip and transfers back and forth from the airport to the hospital via private car which were $120 per trip. After getting "locked down" in the hospital (long really bad story) over a weekend I never made the trip alone again... so I paid my airline ticket and one for a friend to go with me.

I don't think price alone should make your decision. First of all I am sure that you could do it for much less money than I did. It was just a shock to me what I ended up spending because of all of the complications I encountered.... that was my experience and doesn't have to be yours.

I know you will make the right decision based on what you learn. TDM1 is a great drug and I hope that you decide based on all of the information you gather and not my own personal experience / comments on the cost... there was a bunch that went into those numbers as I tried to explain.

Love, Hope, Peace, Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #14
Chelee

Pam, I'm so sorry to hear your current trt wasn't working...darn it! I sure hope all your side affects clear up quickly. Those mouth sores are the worse...you poor thing...my heart really goes out to you.

It's so hard to make these kinds of decisions on "what next"? But once you get the results back from your scans I have a feeling you will know what to do at that time. I have to agree with Chrisy about the T-DM1. It's really done great in women that have been thru multiple therapies when all else has failed. As far as T-DM1 the distance alone would be very hard on you. I was having a difficult time just thinking about going two hrs each way--that is nothing compared to what your dealing with. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers...and part of that prayer will be for a "new" site with T-DM1 will pop up some where close to you soon. Let us know how things go. Hang in there...I know it's not easy. Sending you positive thoughts and a really BIG hug!

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:03 AM   #15
Chelee

Pam, I just wanted to add one more thing in case you do get a get a chance or find a way to try T-DM1. I went back to read what Irene said about T-DM1 as I remembered it worked so well for her. (I do agree it might not be a magic bullet for everyone...but so far it seems to have worked really well on most everyone I've heard about.) Here is one paragraph from Irene's post.
__________________________________________________ __
On herceptin/dmi trial

>>>>Since I had my hip surgery, my Bilirubin count has elevated to over 3 (norm being 0.2- 1.2 according to Quest Labs ) It has come down to 2.8 and as low as 2.4 last Monday) The problem is that I may be kicked out of the study because they do not want a liver failure on there hands. I can certainly understand their point, but we are all so dissapointed since I have been NED now for about the last 6 months. I have never responded this well on any drug I have been on.<<<<

I found this sentence in another post from Irene about T-DM1.
>>>>This has been working miracles on me and would like to be given another chance.<<<<
As you know Irene had been on so many chemo regimens since 1996 thur 2008--so I think that says alot coming from her. For her to say she has never responded that well to any chemo is exciting to me & gives me so much hope for all of us women that need this drug. I just wish they would hurry up so those of us that need it don't have to fly across the country and go broke trying to get to a trial site. I wish you didn't have to deal with any of this. Hang in there.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #16
Nancy L

Pam

I found this information on the Komen site and you may find one of these resources helpful. Since the info was last updated in 2010, it should be current phone numbers, etc. I know this is a stressful time for you and I hope you can get the best treatment possible for this recurrence. You shouldn't have to also worry about the logistics of getting the right care. I hate this disease and all the human suffering it has brought to so many.

Hugs, Nancy

Transportation and Lodging Assistance

Transportation Assistance

Local Transportation

Some people living with cancer find it hard to get to and from their treatments. If you need local transportation assistance, the American Cancer Society has a program called "Road to Recovery”. For more information, call 800-ACS-2345 (800-227-2345) or visit their website at www.cancer.org.
CancerCare's AVONCares program also helps with transportation to and from treatment. Call CancerCare at 800-813-HOPE (800-813-4673) or visit their website at www.cancercare.org for details.
City, county and state agencies can also arrange for low-cost or free local transportation for people who are disabled. For more information about these services, contact your city, county or state transportation department. The social work and patient relations departments at your hospital may also have information on transportation programs.
Long-Distance Transportation

If you have to travel far from home to get treatment, there are several organizations that can help.
Air Charity Network
A group of similar organizations that offer air travel to people living with cancer and their caregivers.
(877) 621-7177
Corporate Angel Network
Uses empty seats on corporate aircraft to help people living with cancer reach treatment centers.
(866) 328-1313
Lifeline Pilots
Offers air travel to treatment centers for people living with cancer and their caregivers.
(800) 822-7972
Mercy Medical Airlift
Offers air travel to treatment centers for people living with cancer and their caregivers.
(800) 296-1217
National Patient Air Travel HELPLINE
(800) 296-1217
Raquel’s Wings for Life
(940) 627-1050
Lodging Assistance

If your hospital or treatment center is far from home, there may be times when you and/or your family need to find overnight lodging. Many hospitals and treatment centers can arrange a discounted rate at a nearby hotel or motel for you and/or your family. The American Cancer Society has a number of Hope Lodges that provide lodging for families during cancer treatments. To find out if there is a Hope Lodge near your hospital or treatment center, visit the American Cancer Society website or call 800-ACS-2345 (800-227-2345).
Updated 01/27/10
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
Rich66

Are the mets solely in bone?

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #18
Pam P

Nancy - Thank you for all the travel resources!

Rich - Yes as far as I know only in bones.

Everyone - thanks for all the tips and kind encouragement. Pam
2/02 tamoxifen
2/05 herceptin/aredia
12/12 ablation of liver
Old 08-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #19
Rich66

Thoughts:
Denosumab
Metronomic cytoxan
Faslodex
Curcumin, Boswellia, green tea, aspirin

Might want to avoid Neupogen type drugs..some think may increase bone mets.

If you have bone mets, you may have felt compelled to consume lots of dairy...but it may be contributing to an inflammatory state.

Have you had OH-25 Vitamin D level checked?

You also have a potential benefit from estrogen/estradiol (as seen here recently)..especially since it isn't in an organ like the liver.

Is it diffuse bone mets or in a particular spot? I mean..is a local therapy like radiation of potential benefit?

What schedule of Zometa are you on?

Have you had estradiol levels checked?

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #20
Darlene Denise

Pam: I just had a bad scan on Navelbine/Herceptin and have started the paperwork for TDM1. My onc wanted to do Abraxane/Herceptin or re-visit Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin. If I qualify for the trial I want to pursue it. Right now my MUGA and liver enzymes qualify. That could change and I would not be eligible for the EAP TDM1. So, I want to get it while I can. I will have to travel from Va Beach to Nashville.

I noticed on a previous post that Carolyn mentioned expense in the $15k range and that you indicated that would not be possible for you. I was wondering if you have life insurance that you could obtain Accelerated Benefits on to help fund your treament travel expenses. If you do and need some info, I'll be glad to help you along. I have a life insurance background. I have done so with all three of my policies over 2 years ago and have kept the money available for reasons just like this.

Just wanted to pass this along and let you know there is another sister out there thinking of you and sending her best.

Stay strong....Darlene
05/12/08 HERCEPTIN EVERY 3 WKS
08/22/08 BRAIN METS! 8 <5MM
09/17/08 CYBERKNIFED BRAIN METS
10/20/08 BRAIN METS SHRINKING
12/29/08 BRAIN SCAN SHOWS 1 LESION GONE, 7 SHRINKING & STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT
01/16/09 LIVER REOCUR-XELODA/HERCEPTIN
03/02/09 BRAIN SCAN 2 LESIONS GONE, 5 STABLE, 1MM ? SPOT STILL A ?
3/27/09 REGRESSION OF 2 LIVER LESIONS XELODA & HERCEPTIN
06/08/09 STUPID BRAIN HAS 3 LESIONS
06/29/09 CYBERKNIFE
07/01/09 LIVER REGRESSION NO NEW METS
07/07/09 TYKERB XELODA HERCEPTIN
11/11/09 GEMZAR/HERCEPTIN FOR LIVER PROGRESSION
03/22/10 BRAIN MRI GOOD-3 SMALL NECROSIS LEFT FROM ORIG 11!!
03/26/10 CHANGE TO NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN 3 LIVER LESIONS PROGRESSING IN SIZE
05/21/10 NAVELBINE/HERCEPTIN WORKING!
07/19/10 GOOD BRAIN MRI
08/20/10 LIVER PROGRESSION
09/08/10 TDM1 - NASHVILLE TN
01/10/11 LIVER RESPONDING TO TDM1
Darlene Denise is offline   Reply With Quote