HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2005, 08:53 PM   #1
StephN

Hi All -
I see that a snippet of an article has been posted below on this same subject with some posts back and forth - good interaction and interest!

I finally had a chance to study the science behind the claim to see what else I could learn about the actual process of downregulating the HER2 overexpression in my body with the oleic acids.

The link takes you to the Annals of Oncology where the whole report is published. Easy to download the PDF - and if you have a problem they have a help button and free download of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Makes for fascinating reading, and there are actual photos of breast cancer cells that have been exposed to the oleic acid and then also to trastuzumab (Herceptin). You can ACTUALLY see the suppression working.

The article also goes into the other pathways involved with HER2 downregulation, cell apoptosis, kinase inhibitors etc. SO complex our bodies are!

http://annonc.oupjournals.org/cgi/reprint/mdi090v1
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:06 AM   #2
Christine MH

Hello Steph,

Thank you for finding the article. I really enjoyed the pictures of the cells.

Until I read the whole article, I didn't realize that Menendez's team had not only found that oleic acid increased the effectiveness of herceptin on individual cancer cells, but also that some of their findings suggest that oleic acid might help delay the onset of herceptin resistance.

Christine