HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-20-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
Rhonda4

http://www.prevention.com/article/0,5778,s...3-270-1,00.html?
Old 04-20-2005, 08:50 PM   #2
al from canada

Dear Rhonda,
This is very interesting stuff and by mere coincidence I just finished reading a study on SOYA and mets. I have posted it below.
Take care,
Al

Metastatic spread, not primary tumor burden, is the leading cause of breast cancer deaths. For patient prognosis to improve, new systemic adjuvant therapies that are capable of effectively inhibiting the outgrowth of seeded tumor cells after surgical treatment of the primary breast tumor are needed. To facilitate the preclinical development of such therapies, relevant animal models of breast cancer metastasis that can mimic the postsurgical adjuvant setting are required. Here we developed a preclinical xenograft model of breast cancer metastasis where the primary tumor was removed by surgical resection before systemic adjuvant treatment. We used this model to assess the antimetastatic effect of postsurgical dietary intervention with the soy isoflavone genistein. The anticancer activity of genistein has been established in vitro and in vivo, however, few studies have tested the potential of genistein as an antimetastatic therapy. Using our model, we tested the efficacy of adjuvant treatment with genistein to inhibit the outgrowth of metastases postsurgery. To establish primary tumors, human breast carcinoma cells, MDA-MB-435/HAL, were implanted into the mammary fat pad of female nude mice. Primary tumors were left to grow for 5 weeks before being surgically removed. Mice were then randomized into two diet groups: control soy-free diet versus genistein-supplemented diet. Five weeks later, metastatic burden was assessed. Genistein reduced the percent metastatic burden in the lungs by 10-fold. These results indicate that dietary intervention following cancer surgery can affect the outgrowth of seeded tumor cells. The availability of well-characterized, clinically relevant animal models for studying factors that regulate metastatic outgrowth postsurgery will provide an important tool for developing new systemic adjuvant therapies
Old 04-21-2005, 04:00 AM   #3
Rhonda4

I was very intrigued by the fact that from her 1st b/c to her 2nd b/c her white blood count was never in the normal range but, from her 2nd b/c to current (AFTER doing the diet) her wbc is in the normal range. I see more and more articles where this food or that food (all of which I've found in her diet) prevent cancer. I'm sold.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:45 AM   #4
Janet/FL

In the diet she mentions that she has 1% milk for the Conjugated linoleic acid content. I googled it and below is what Mercola has to say about it. I do find it interesting that although she does try to avoid the harmful additives found in most dairy products, I found no mention of her using organic produce. With the amount of fruits and vegetables she consumes, the amount of pesticide residue she consumes would seem to be quite high. I wonder why she didn't mention it? I am off to read her website where she probably does. Al, thanks for mentioning the soy. I am still conflicted about it.
Janet/FL

http://www.mercola.com/beef/cla.htm#

Many people are taking CLA as an expensive supplement for the benefits described below. But wouldn't it make much more sense to get it for free in your food?

There is a new reason why it may be beneficial to allow cows to graze on pasture. That reason involves a compound called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA).

CLA is a fatty acid found in beef and dairy fats. Scientific interest in CLA was stimulated in 1988 when a University of Wisconsin researcher discovered its cancer-fighting properties in a study of rats fed fried hamburger. CLA cannot be produced by the human body, but it can be obtained through foods such as whole milk, butter, beef, and lamb.

"The interesting thing is that dairy cattle that graze produce higher amounts of CLA in their milk than those which receive conserved feed, such as grain, hay, and silage," says Agricultural Research dairy scientist Larry Satter. This is true even when the nongrazers eat pasture grass conserved as hay.

Satter, who is based at the Dairy Forage Research Center in Madison, Wisconsin, conducted a study comparing the amount of CLA in milk from cows grazing on pasture to the amount from cows fed hay or silage.

His findings:

Pasture-grazed cows had 500% more CLA in their milk than those fed silage.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:31 AM   #5
Janet/FL

Green Tea vs Black

This is from Dina Dyer's newsletter
Janet/FL

http://www.dianadyermsrd.com/newsletters/winter2005.htm

IV. Research Updates - Recent articles about the role of green tea and cancer

A. Tea and circulating estrogen levels in postmenopausal Chinese women in Singapore. Wu AH, et al, Carcinogenesis. 2005 Jan 20.

Increased intake of green tea was correlated with reduced levels of plasma estrogen levels in healthy post-menopausal women in Singapore. Of special interest, increased intake of black tea showed statistically increased levels of this same hormone, increasing risk of breast cancer.

B. Molecular and cellular effects of green tea on oral cells of smokers: a pilot study, Schwartz JL, et al, Mol Nutr Food Res. 2005 Jan;49(1):43-51.

A small pilot study that showed drinking 5 cups of green tea daily for 4 weeks reduced the numbers of damaged cells in the mouth that are commonly seen in smokers as high risk indicators of oral cancer.

C. Green tea consumption enhances survival of epithelial ovarian cancer, Zhang M, et al, Int J Cancer. 2004 Nov 10;112(3):465-9.

A prospective study in China showed increased consumption of green tea was associated with increased survival from epithelial ovarian cancer. At the 3-year mark, 77% of the tea drinkers were still alive compared to 48% of the non-tea drinkers. Survival odds were also enhanced related to amount of green tea consumed (i.e., daily versus weekly consumption).

D. Analysis of catechin content of commercial green tea products, Manning J, Roberts J, J Herb Pharmacother. 2003;3(3):19-32.

Analysis of content of various green tea products (capsules and tea bags) for their catechin content (the active ingredient for anti-cancer effects) showed wide variability compared to label claims. All products had significantly lower levels than claimed (9-48%).

(Note: I use loose-leaf green tea when possible, which I purchase at Asian grocery stores or a local specialty shop. Taste is far superior to most bagged green tea. Remember to steep in water that is just below the boiling point for the best flavor. I do drink about 1 quart of green tea daily, either warm or cool.)
Old 04-21-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
*_Leslie_*

I found this diet 2 years ago when I was first diagnosed. I started following it when I began treatment : AC/Taxotere/Herceptin.

I lost weight and did not suffer much of the side affects from the treatment. I exercised every day and did not miss any work. My heart scan at the end of Herceptin was actually better than when I began treatment.

I believe this diet really helped me to wheather the chemo and will help me to stay cancer free.

One thing that struck a chord with me about this diet: change one thing at a time. That made it really easy to adapt.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:09 PM   #7
*_Rhonda_*

While waiting for my chemo today I was reading a copy of CURE magazine and there was an artical on organic food and Diane was quoted as saying to eat as much organic as you can but, that there are some things that are hard to find (I also have found this to be true). I believe that with God, the doctors, nurses and treatment as well as Dianes recommendations that I will not get THIS or any other cancer again (at least if I have my way about it)
Old 03-30-2006, 07:17 PM   #8
RhondaH

Thumbs up Bump...

For any NEWBIES that haven't seen this

Rhonda
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:56 AM   #9
Toril

thanks! I've printed it out and will do my best!

Toril
Toril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:39 PM   #10
Mgarr

I believe in Diana Dyer's book she lists the food high and low in pesticides and tries to choose accordingly. Here is the list I have when choosing organic foods.

High in Pesticides - apples, bell peppers,celery,cherries,imported grapes, nectarines,peaches,pears,potatoes, red raspberries, spinach, strawberries

Low in pesticides -cruciferious (broccoli,cabbage etc), blueberries, onions, watermelons, plums, eggplant, kiwi,eggplant,grapefruit

I usually keep my list handy while at the grocery store.

Hope this help in choosing your produce.

Mary

here is Diana Dyer's web address www.cancerrd.com

Last edited by Mgarr; 03-31-2006 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Adding web address
Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
AlaskaAngel

I keep that list handy too. I tend to either peel those items heavily to get rid of any pesticide that might soak in below the skin, or I give them a really good washing. I am not sure, though, which sprays do the best job of removing pesticides and won't leave any residue of the spray either -- does anyone have any suggestions?
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:10 PM   #12
Lolly

Thumbs up Good Web Site

Found some helpful ideas...

Eartheasy
http://eartheasy.com/eat_pesticides_produce.htm

Excerpt from the web page:
Vegetable and Fruit Washes
Commercial vegetable and fruit washes are available which are formulated to remove chemical residue from produce. Examples are Environné and Vitanet, available online or at your local health food stores and some supermarkets. You can also make your own produce wash using a very diluted solution of mild dishwashing detergent (1 tsp detergent per gallon, or 4 liters, water).
For
grapes, strawberries, green beans, and leafy vegetables, swirl the foods in a dilute solution of dish detergent and water at room temperature for 5 to 10 seconds, then rinse with slightly warm water.
For the
other fruits and vegetables, use a soft brush to scrub the food with the solution for about 5 to 10 seconds, then rinse again with slightly warm water.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:13 AM   #13
cherylynnie

Smile Thanks

Thanks Rhonda!

Cheryl
4 AC, 4 Taxotere finished 3/15/06
Currently on Herceptin and Tamoxifen
cherylynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #14
RobinTN

Thanks

I am new to this board and have never heard of the cancer diet.until today.Thank you so much for bumping this up.you can bet from now on I will be burning google up.

Don't Give Up,Look Up!
RobinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:46 AM   #15
RhondaH

Thumbs up Bump

Someone just asked for a diet...

Rhonda
Old 05-12-2006, 10:22 AM   #16
MJo

I asked my onc's nurse practitioner if she follows a special diet or exercise program to prevent the cancers she works with every day. She said no. She said that the evidence she sees points to people getting cancer because of their genes.

I asked a radiation oncologist if he follows a special diet. He said he and his wife buy organic milk and meat for their children because commercial stuff has too many estrogen-like substances due to additives. But he says if you've gone through childhood eating commercial milk and meat, it won't help to start the organics when you are an adult.

I do know that Johns Hopkins recommends broccoli sprouts for cancer patients, and I eat those three times a week at least. Otherwise, I don't know what to think.
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #17
R.B.

There are lots of books on the subject.

There is also a lot of information on this site - use the search engine above right click on search and enter the term you are looking for.

Try "Cracking the Metabolic Code" - James B La Valle
Dr Gaynor's Prevention Program
Smart Fats - M schmidt

If they are no in your local library they can be found second hand on the web

http://www.usedbooksearch.co.uk/

I'm afraid that many have yet to realise how great an impact our food intake has on body function.

The importance of omega three was even the subject of a continuing professional education module by medscape for doctors.

Because there are no definative answers the only way is no check it out for yourself.

It is my impression that at least a number of long term survivors on the site are concious of diet as part of their regeime.
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:12 AM   #18
sarah

interesting but aren't we suppose to avoid grapefruit?
sarah
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 05:52 AM   #19
RhondaH

Thumbs up Sarah...

Yes, while I am on the Herceptin, this is the ONE fruit I don't eat.

Rhonda
Old 05-15-2006, 06:41 AM   #20
Mgarr

Diet

What is it I am missing or do not know about grapefruit & herceptin?

Mary
Mgarr is offline   Reply With Quote