HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-02-2009, 04:13 AM   #1
Unregistered

Joy in the hospital again-need advice

Hi everyone, I am very sorry to report that Joy is in the hospital again. She has been in so much pain that radiates from her lower abdomen to around her back and down her thighs. She was in so much pain yesterday morning and so out of it, I took her to the ER and then they admitted her to give her some pain control. They did a CBC which was normal, the liver panel isn't back yet, but on last Tuesday it was all good. She has a low grade fever so they are doing some cultures. They will do an ultrasound today to see if she needs to be tapped again. But she's not looking too distented. I was wondering if any of you wonderful people have any thoughts on what this pain could be coming from. Is it just "cancer pain" which is what one nurse said last night? I don't really understand that. Is it radiating from her liver? Could it be caused by Ixempra? I know no one really knows just hoping for something to get her through this, she's so tired and thin.

One more question, her onc is hesitant to use Avastin, I think because some of the recent reports out there, but so many women seem to have good luck with it and it seems more tolarable than Ixempra? Any thoughts?

Thank you all so much I will give her all your love! Jennifer
Old 06-02-2009, 05:17 AM   #2
Sheila

Jennifer
So sorry to hear about Joy being back in the hospital...hopefully they can isolate the cause of the pain. As far as the Avastin, it works well but does carry alot of side effects. It is usually given with Tykerb or herceptin and another chemo like Taxol....it might be too much on her body right now. It sounds like the Ixempra was working according to her latest labs...now if she can get over the fluid buildup and the leg pain. Tell her she is in my prayers and in my heart...she is such a fighter! Please tell her to stay strong and focused in this difficult setback.

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
WomanofSteel

I couldn't even begin to guess what the cause of Joy's pain is, but I am sorry she is back in the hospital. I hope she is out of pain and feeling better quickly. Joy is in my prayers.
bcs 8/4/03
bcs 8/21/03 0/16 nodes
tx 4x ca 36 rad tam
postmenopausal 06 aromasin
sept 07 biopsy node in neck
muga/pet/cat/bone mets to lungs nodes and liver stage iv
tx hki-272
tx not working switched to taxol herceptin
Taxol not working switched to navelbine
navelbine is causing bad neuropathy
starting gemzar
gemzar quit on me now on Ixempra due to increasing number and size of liver mets
another progression starting tykerb/xeloda
WomanofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 AM   #4
Hopeful

Jennifer,

Thanks for this update. Please tell Joy she is in my thoughts (as are you). I have no idea what the pain could be, but have the doctors ruled out something neurological? Legs and back sound like sciatica, but I don't know that it would tie to the abdomen. Intuitively I would guess something pressing on a nerve but I am not a medical professional and that is just a guess.

Best of luck to you both,

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #5
Joe
Webmaster

Side Effects of Iexempra: Abdominal pain is one of them.

The following adverse reactions are discussed in greater detail in other sections.Because clinical trials are conducted under widely varying conditions, the adverse reaction rates observed in the clinical trials of a drug cannot be directly compared to rates in other clinical trials and may not reflect the rates observed in clinical practice.
Unless otherwise specified, assessment of adverse reactions is based on one randomized study (Study 046) and one single-arm study (Study 081). In Study 046, 369 patients with metastatic breast cancer were treated with IXEMPRA 40 mg/m2 administered intravenously over 3 hours every 21 days, combined with capecitabine 1000 mg/m2 twice daily for 2 weeks followed by a 1-week rest period. Patients treated with capecitabine as monotherapy (n=368) in this study received 1250 mg/m2 twice daily for 2 weeks every 21 days. In Study 081, 126 patients with metastatic or locally advanced breast cancer were treated with IXEMPRA 40 mg/m2 administered intravenously over 3 hours every 3 weeks.
The most common adverse reactions ( ≥ 20%) reported by patients receiving IXEMPRA were peripheral sensory neuropathy, fatigue/asthenia, myalgia/arthralgia, alopecia, nausea, vomiting, stomatitis/mucositis, diarrhea, and musculoskeletal pain. The following additional reactions occurred in ≥ 20% in combination treatment: palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia (hand-foot) syndrome, anorexia, abdominal pain, nail disorder, and constipation. The most common hematologic abnormalities ( > 40%) include neutropenia, leukopenia, anemia, and thrombocytopenia.
Table 4 presents nonhematologic adverse reactions reported in 5% or more of patients. Hematologic abnormalities are presented separately in Table 5.
Table 4: Nonhematologic Drug-related Adverse Reactions Occurring in at Least 5% of Patients with Metastatic or Locally Advanced Breast Cancer Treated with IXEMPRA

Study 046 Study 081 IXEMPRA with
capecitabine
n=369Capecitabine
n=368IXEMPRA
monotherapy
n=126System Organ Classa/
Preferred TermTotal
(%)Grade 3/4
(%)Total
(%)Grade 3/4
(%)Total
(%)Grade 3/4
(%)Infections and Infestations Upper respiratory tract infection b4 0 3 0 6 0 Blood and Lymphatic System Disorders Febrile neutropenia54c11d33dImmune System Disorders Hypersensitivityb21d0051dMetabolism and Nutrition Disorders Anorexiab343d151d192dDehydrationb522< 1d21dPsychiatric Insomniab9< 1d2050Nervous System Disorders Peripheral neuropathy Sensory neuropathyb,e
Motor neuropathyb65 1621
5d16
< 10
1dHeadache8< 1d30110Taste disorderb1204060Dizziness81d51d70Eye Disorders Lacrimation increased504< 1d40Vascular Disorders Hot flushb502060Respiratory, Thoracic, and Mediastinal Disorders Dyspneab714191dCoughb602020Gastrointestinal Disorders Nausea533d402d422dVomitingb394d242291dStomatitis/mucositisb314203d296Diarrheab446d399221dConstipati on2206< 1d162dAbdominal painb242d141d132dGastroesophageal reflux diseaseb71d8060Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue Disorders Alopeciab31030480Skin rashb171d7092dNail disorderb242d10< 1d90Palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia syndromeb,f6418d6317d82dPruritus502061dSkin exfoliationb5< 1d3020Skin hyperpigmentationb11014020Musculoskeletal, Connective Tissue, and Bone Disorders Myalgia/arthralgiab398d5< 1d498dMusculoskeletal painb232d50203dGeneral Disorders and Administrative Site Conditions Fatigue/astheniab60162945613Edemab805< 1d91dPyrexia101d4081dPainb91d2083dChest painb41d< 1051dInvestigations Weight decreased1103060aSystem organ class presented as outlined in Guidelines for Preparing Core Clinical Safety Information on Drugs by the Council forInternational Organizations of Medical Sciences (CIOMS).
bA composite of multiple MedDRA Preferred Terms.
cNCI CTC grading for febrile neutropenia ranges from Grade 3 to 5. Three patients (1%) experienced Grade 5 (fatal) febrileneutropenia. Other neutropenia-related deaths (9) occurred in the absence of reported febrile neutropenia [see Warnings and PRECAUTIONS].
dNo grade 4 reports.
ePeripheral sensory neuropathy (graded with the NCI CTC scale) was defined as the occurrence of any of the following: areflexia,burning sensation, dysesthesia, hyperesthesia, hypoesthesia, hyporeflexia, neuralgia, neuritis, neuropathy, neuropathy peripheral,neurotoxicity, painful response to normal stimuli, paresthesia, pallanesthesia, peripheral sensory neuropathy, polyneuropathy,polyneuropathy toxic and sensorimotor disorder.
Peripheral motor neuropathy was defined as the occurrence of any of the following: multifocal motor neuropathy, neuromusculartoxicity, peripheral motor neuropathy, and peripheral sensorimotor neuropathy.
f Palmar-plantar erythrodysesthesia (hand-foot syndrome) was graded on a 1-3 severity scale in Study 046.
Table 5: Hematologic Abnormalities in Patients with Metastatic or Locally Advanced Breast Cancer Treated with IXEMPRA

Study 046Study 081 IXEMPRA with
capecitabine
n=369Capecitabine
n=368IXEMPRA
monotherapy
n=126Hematology ParameterGrade 3
(%)Grade 4
(%)Grade 3
(%)Grade 4
(%)Grade 3
(%)Grade 4
(%) Neutropeniaa3236923123Leukopenia (WBC)4116513613Anemia (Hgb)824162Thrombocytopenia532252a G-CSF (granulocyte colony stimulating factor) or GM-CSF (granulocyte macrophage stimulating factor) was used in 20% and 17% of patients who received IXEMPRA in Study 046 and Study 081, respectively.
The following serious adverse reactions were also reported in 1323 patients treated with IXEMPRA as monotherapy or in combination with other therapies in Phase 2 and 3 studies.
Infections and Infestations: sepsis, pneumonia, infection, neutropenic infection, urinary tract infection, bacterial infection, enterocolitis, laryngitis, lower respiratory tract infection
Blood and Lymphatic System Disorders: coagulopathy, lymphopenia
Metabolism and Nutrition Disorders: hyponatremia, metabolic acidosis, hypokalemia, hypovolemia
Nervous System Disorders: cognitive disorder, syncope, cerebral hemorrhage, abnormal coordination, lethargy
Cardiac Disorders: myocardial infarction, supraventricular arrhythmia, left ventricular dysfunction, angina pectoris, atrial flutter, cardiomyopathy, myocardial ischemia
Vascular Disorders: hypotension, thrombosis, embolism, hemorrhage, hypovolemic shock, vasculitis
Respiratory, Thoracic, and Mediastinal Disorders: pneumonitis, hypoxia, respiratory failure, acute pulmonary edema, dysphonia, pharyngolaryngeal pain
Gastrointestinal Disorders: ileus, colitis, impaired gastric emptying, esophagitis, dysphagia, gastritis, gastrointestinal hemorrhage
Hepatobiliary Disorders: acute hepatic failure, jaundice
Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue Disorders: erythema multiforme
Musculoskeletal, Connective Tissue Disorders, and Bone Disorders: muscular weakness, muscle spasms, trismus
Renal and Urinary Disorders: nephrolithiasis, renal failure
General Disorders and Administration Site Conditions: chills
Investigations: increased transaminases, increased blood alkaline phosphatase, increased gamma-glutamyltransferase.

DRUG INTERACTIONS

Effect of Other Drugs on Ixabepilone

Drugs That May Increase Ixabepilone Plasma Concentrations

CYP3A4 Inhibitors: Co-administration of ixabepilone with ketoconazole, a potent CYP3A4 inhibitor, increased ixabepilone AUC by 79% compared to ixabepilone treatment alone. If alternative treatment cannot be administered, a dose adjustment should be considered. The effect of mild or moderate inhibitors (eg, erythromycin, fluconazole, or verapamil) on exposure to ixabepilone has not been studied. Therefore, caution should be used when administering mild or moderate CYP3A4 inhibitors during treatment with IXEMPRA, and alternative therapeutic agents that do not inhibit CYP3A4 should be considered. Patients receiving CYP3A4 inhibitors during treatment with IXEMPRA should be monitored closely for acute toxicities (eg, frequent monitoring of peripheral blood counts between cycles of IXEMPRA). [See DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION]
Drugs That May Decrease Ixabepilone Plasma Concentrations

CYP3A4 Inducers: IXEMPRA is a CYP3A4 substrate. Strong CYP3A4 inducers (eg, dexamethasone, phenytoin, carbamazepine, rifampin, rifampicin, rifabutin, and phenobarbital) may decrease ixabepilone concentrations leading to subtherapeutic levels. Therefore, therapeutic agents with low enzyme induction potential should be considered for coadministration with IXEMPRA. St. John's Wort may decrease ixabepilone plasma concentrations unpredictably and should be avoided.
Effect of Ixabepilone on Other Drugs

Ixabepilone does not inhibit CYP enzymes at relevant clinical concentrations and is not expected to alter the plasma concentrations of other drugs [see CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY].
Capecitabine

In patients with cancer who received ixabepilone (40 mg/m2) in combination with capecitabine (1000 mg/m2), ixabepilone Cmax decreased by 19%, capecitabine Cmax decreased by 27%, and 5-fluorouracil AUC increased by 14%, as compared to ixabepilone or capecitabine administered separately. The interaction is not clinically significant given that the combination treatment is supported by efficacy data.
Last updated on RxList: 10/23/2007

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:56 AM   #6
chrisy

Jen,
So sorry to hear Joy is having another setback - and I hope they can help manage her pain. I think of Joy daily, constantly actually.

I don't remember, has Joy had any recent scans? I thought there was an ultrasound or something but don't remember...I guess what I'm wondering is if there is any "visual" of what's going on in the abdominal area?

From what Joy has said, her oncologist seems very creative and knowledgeable - so the hesitation with Avastin is probably a thoughtful one. As Sheila noted, Avastin is usually given in combination with a chemo and her2 target therapy rather than alone as a single agent. And it is not without it's own side effects. Perhaps the reluctance is to ADD another thing to the mix. If the Ixempra is working, which seems a good possibility based on the markers, she may want to stay the course.

Jen, I know this must be very hard - to see your sister in pain and feel that there is little you can do to help. Please know that you are helping just by being there for her.

We all are praying for the best for Joy.

Much love
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:10 PM   #7
Mary Anne in TX

thank you Jennifer for passing on our love and concern to Joy. I do believe that the treatment could be the cause of the pain. I was so surprised at the severity of the pain I had with shingles for so long. It taught me that some things don't have to "seem logical" to be true. Best wishes to you both, ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
Shobha

So sorry to hear about Joy. I am holding Joy in my prayers and wishing her speedy recovery.

hugs,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
Lien

Oh no! I'm so sorry for Joy and for you Jen, that you are facing another setback. I hope they find out what's causing the pain asap. Either that, or an effective means of killing the pain so she can continue to get benefits from Ixempra.

This is tough. I'm sending healing vibes. Maybe some unorthodox pain tx like acupuncture or foot reflexology might give her some relief? Acupuncture helped my mom deal with side effects from tx.

Love

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
Bill

Jen, thanks for keeping us posted. I wish I could help. Tell Joy we said Hi and we're pulling for her. Joe might have pegged it. You all will be in my prayers.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
mamacze

Oh Jen,I am sure the last thing Joy (or YOU) wanted was to land back in that hospital - UGH - but what else could you do when Joy clearly needs pain relief?

I have been puzzling and puzzling over the pain you describe; and these are my thoughts (being mindful that I am not an expert):
  • I think Joe may really have pegged it as a side effect of Iexempra - especially if you click on the "Nephrolithiasis" Link.
  • I remember my internist telling me that he often sees acute abdominal pain in his cancer patients starting new treatments - related to gall stones or kidney stones - it was his theory that the new chemo causes the body to try and eliminate "sludge" (for lack of a better word).
  • I also remember feeling painful acute belly pain during my vaccine trial in Seattle - it came and went without dx, but there was conjecture that it could have been the liver mets or even kidney or gall stones interacting with the new treatment.
My over riding thought is for you and Joy. This is definitely a time for some chocolate; what else could help in such a painful moment.
Stay ever hopeful girls, you know our love and prayers are there for you to rest on.
Love and Hugs,
Kim from CT

2004 - Stage 4, mets to 4 lobes of lungs and liver, lumpectomy, er/pr -, her2 neu+++, Herceptin and Navelbine then Herceptin only.

2005 - Breast Ca vaccinations with the Tumor Vaccine Group in Seattle

2011 - Still Herceptin only and NED

2011, June - STOPPED Herceptin and kicked up my heels!

2012, February - 1 small tumor came back to haunt me in my lungs - back on Herceptin only, tumor stable.

2015, November - tumor on lungs removed (Segmentectomy), back on Herceptin only
Received U of W vaccine clinical "booster" Vaccine

2022 On Herceptin and NED continues - WOOT WOOT!
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #12
ElaineM

Wink Joy in the hospital again-need advice

I don't have any advice to offer, but please pass along my cyber hugs to Joy. She certainly needs a hug or two with all that is going on these days.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #13
harrie

Jen, please give Joy my love and positive energy sent her way from me. I hope soon her pain and discomforts are contained.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:02 AM   #14
schoolteacher

Jen,

Tell Joy I am thinking about her, and I hope she is feeling better. Thanks for letting us know how she is doing.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #15
julierene

I think about Joy every time I log in to this site! You've got my number if you or her want to call me. Avastin is what my onc wants to try next, with another med or two. But maybe some of these side-effects are from necrosis with her markers getting better? Did I read that right? Necrosis (scar tissue) is one of my largest culprits of pain. Necrosis also put me into the hospital with a low grade fever and abdominal pain so bad that I was doubled over trying to walk. When that happened to me, it was in December. Since then, they found something that started to work- an OLD treatment! I am almost in remission!!!! I was saying the same thing as Joy and thought I was on my way out. Tell her to keep trying new stuff if it's not working. If it's working, stay the course! Love, Julie
Aug 04: 4 Taxotere
Dec 05: Bone and Liver METS; Stage 4. Carboplatin/Taxol/Herceptin. DX with Li-Fraumeni Syndrome
Apr 06: NED, maintenance Herceptin
Apr 07: CA1503=14; masses in liver; Xeloda/Tykerb
Nov 07: NED, Tykerb maintenance
Sept 08: Liver mets again, on Tykerb/Xeloda again, CA=19 and 27
Nov 08: Progression, Tykerb/Gemzar, CA=25
Dec 08: Progression, Herceptin/Navelbine, CA=40, 57, and 130
Jan 09: Progression in bone, recession in liver, Herceptin/Carbo/Abraxane CA=135
June 09: CA27/29=24, chemo break
Sept 09: Progression, CA=24, waiting on clinical trial (4 weeks no treatment)
Nov 09: now have brain mets, trial "on hold", getting 14 WBR treatments starting 11/2/09
Dec 09: possible start on p53 trial
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #16
Believe51

Location: RHODE ISLAND (Ed getting me a latte on 2nd Cancerversary Cruise 2008) 'BELIEVE': To accept as true or real, To have faith in, To presume ALWAYS BELIEVE
Unhappy

Jennifer, I am so sorry to hear our girl is back in the hospital, but more sorry for how she is feeling. I have been extremely busy lately and need you to know that not to busy to keep this little woman in my prayers.

I must add that Ed appears to be doing well with his Ixempra and will be going for the second treatment on Friday. Although we are all different and experience different side effects I am hoping that Joy tolerates this drug as well. If not though, there are other options that can be explored.

With the team of Joy's caregivers, I have no doubt you are all doing your best, just like Joy is. Continued prayers and lots of love.>>Believe51
9/7/06Husband 50yrs=StageIV IBC/HER2+,BoneMets10/06TaxotereX10,'H'1X wk,Zometa,Tamoxifen4/12/07Last Tax5/18/07Pet=Rapid Cell Activity,No Organ Mets,Lytic Lesions,Degeneration,Some Bone Repair5/07ChemoFail6/01/07Pleural Thoracentisis=Effusions,NoMalignantCells6/19/07+7/2/07DFCI
6/25/07BrainMRI=BrainMets,Many<9mm7/10/07WBR/PelvisRad37.5Gx15&Nutritionist8/19/07T/X9/20/07BrainMRI=2<2mm10/6/07Pet=BoneProgression
10/24/07ChemoFail11/9/07A/Cx10,EndTam12/7/07Faslodex12/10/07Muga7512/13/07BlasticLesions1/7/08BrainMRI=Clear4/1/08Pet=BoneImprovement,
NoProgression,Stable4/7/08BrainPerfect5/16/08Last A/C8/26/08BrainMets=10(<9mm)9/10/08Gamma10/30/08Met=5mm12/19/08Gamma5mets5
12/22/08SpinalMets1/14/09SpinalRads2/17/09BrainMRI=NoNewMets4/20/09BoneScan5/14/09Ixempra6/1/09BrainMRI=NumerousMets6/24/09DFCIw/DrBurstein6/26/09Continue
Ixempra/Faslodex/Zometa~TM now lower7/17/09Stop Ixempra By Choice9/21/09HOSPICE10/16/09Earned His Deserved Wings And Halo=37 Month Fight w/Stage 4 IBC, Her2+++,My Hero!!
Believe51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
Jean

Jennifer,
Please tell Joy I am keeping her in my healing prayers,
I am glad you are with her you are a wonderful sister.

Blessing and hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #18
Soccermom

More prayers from me too,Jen...any updates since Tuesday?

Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #19
Joan M

Jennifer,

Please let Joy know she's in my prayers.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #20
mamacze

Jennifer How is Joy doing now?

I know you have your hands full; but I am thinking of Joy wondering how she is doing - any updates?
Love Kim from CT

2004 - Stage 4, mets to 4 lobes of lungs and liver, lumpectomy, er/pr -, her2 neu+++, Herceptin and Navelbine then Herceptin only.

2005 - Breast Ca vaccinations with the Tumor Vaccine Group in Seattle

2011 - Still Herceptin only and NED

2011, June - STOPPED Herceptin and kicked up my heels!

2012, February - 1 small tumor came back to haunt me in my lungs - back on Herceptin only, tumor stable.

2015, November - tumor on lungs removed (Segmentectomy), back on Herceptin only
Received U of W vaccine clinical "booster" Vaccine

2022 On Herceptin and NED continues - WOOT WOOT!
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote