HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-22-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
juanita

Race for the Cure

Today was the Race for the Cure in Indianapolis. We had beautiful weather for it. My team of 17 was only a small part of over 38,000 partcicpants this year. It is so nice to see all of the pink shirts. And when they did the survivor walk there were a few people who were 50 year survivors. Imagine what treatments there was back then, if anything. It really gives me something to look forward to.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
Ann

Juanita,

Congratulations on your Race for the Cure Walk. It must have been very special for the 50 year survivors and for everyone else to see them.
Minneapolis will have their Race for the Cure on Mother's Day. It will be my first time and I am looking forward to it.

Ann
Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
juanita

Last year was my first race, I was in the middle of chemo at the time and only decided to do it at the last minute with my daughter and her roommate from college. We had such a fun time. At that point I wasn't really ready to be a breast cancer survivor yet but i was very affected by the stories of the poeple around me. This year i made a team of ladies i work with and my duaghter went again as well. The ladies i work with were moved to tears when the survivors did the survivor walk and made our human pink ribbon to the music of bagpipers playing "Amazing Grace" followed by Melissa Etheridge's "I Run For Life". They'd been there for me in the past year and a half, but hadn't realized just how many survivors there were.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
Ann

It sounds as if you had a inspirational and emotional walk. I have heard from others that they are surprised at the number of survivors there are.

My daughter is coming with me too. It was her idea to walk and I thought that was the best Mother's Day present she could give me. (We'll be walking in Minneapolis on Mother's Day.)

Ann
Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
callen03

Juanita, I was touched by your post and wanted to share mine as well.

I just recently participated in the Race for the Cure in Waco, Texas. My goal was to run the entire course (which I did). This may sound silly, but I told myself if I could run that race while going through chemo, I could beat the cancer. I needed something to give me hope. I sat there among the survivors with tears in my eyes and wondered how many years I would be able to participate.

I am so happy that I found this site, because I needed to hear some positive things from people with cancer. The doctors have all been so negative, because I have stage IV breast cancer. I now feel better about my outlook and know that I will sit among the survivors for many years to come.
callen03 is offline   Reply With Quote