HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile Life-changing books and ideas...

GREAT BOOKS TO TOUCH YOUR SOUL AND AWAKEN YOU... I AM SEARCHING FOR BOOKS TO READ to nurture my Spirit.

Could you please post some fabulous reads here that you recommend? I happen to be prone to books about Life, Spirituality, facing adversity with courage and strength.

Life-altering books for me include: Gary Zucav's Seat of the Soul, Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth, most anything by Wayne Dyer -- You'll See It When You Believe It comes to mind, along with Your Sacred Self.

LET'S ALL SHARE, PLEASE...

With love, as always,
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Mary Jo

A book I recently read that I absolutely loved is called "The Shack" by William P. Young. It is fiction BUT it was awesome. Spritual and very thought provoking. It's almost as if I could feel God - almost like I was in His presence as I read. It gave me a lot to think about I'd highly recommend it. I even read it twice and have NEVER read a work of fiction more than once. (with about 6 months in between)

Just thought I'd chime in and share....

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile Nothing like a stirring read

Thanks Mare. A friend of mine, who is a psychotherapist just mentioned The Shack to me. Said she hadn't read it yet, but it was highly recommended to her.

Appreciate your input. Will definitely check it out.

I also just read Rachel Naomi Remen's KITCHEN TABLE WISDOM and Andy Andrews THE TRAVELER'S GIFT. I often reread books I love, including these two.

I cannot read except with a pen in hand. I underline. Make notations in the margins. Can't help myself. I devour books word by word. When I reread, I just read my highlighted areas and it all returns to me. Just love being moved by words; when they touch my heart and reawaken things I never even knew I knew. When they are full of new Lessons to glean and rekindle ancient Knowings deeo inside me...

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 06-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
Audrey

I also loved The Shack and Kitchen Table Wisdom! One book I can recommend is "Close to the Bone: Life-Threatening Illness as a Soul Journey" by Jean Bolen.

diagnosed July 2001, at age 36
large tumor, 11+ nodes
Stage IIIb, er/pr-, Her2+
treated with A/C, weekly Taxol
radiation, + year of Herceptin
on clinical trial. double mastectomy
followed by reconstruction
NED!!
Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #5
Bill

I liked the Shack, too. Also, I read a few books awhile ago by Og Mandino. One was something like, "The world's greatest salesman" or something like that. They were all good.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:48 AM   #6
Mary Anne in TX

I'm reading 2 right now...
When everything changes, change everything
and
Be yourself, everyone else is already taken
ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
suzan w

I was going to mention Gary Zukav...we love his stuff!!! Also Pema Chodron...she is a Buddist nun. This is a great thread. It would be fun to compile a booklist...!!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Margerie

I just read Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton and thought it was the most beautifully written book and spiritual, but not in a conventional way

One of my all-time favorites is The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter. A Native American tale, LOL funny, touching and spiritual. There author is somewhat controversial, but the book itself is wonderful IMO.

Happy summer reading I have a few books on my nightstand, but will check this thread again when I am finished with them.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #9
rl2

I found Awakening Intuition by Mona Lisa Schulz, MD, Ph.D. to be interesting and useful.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Cannon

Eat, Pray, Love

Anything by Wayne Dyer
Taxol+Herceptin weekly x12, continuing with Herceptin, finished one year in 12/07
33 Rads
Femara for 5+ years, staying on (started with Arimidex, switched after about a month, much happier)
Abnormal brain MRI shows no cancer, but "extensive white matter diease" - unknown cause
BRCA negative - lots of cancer in my family
survivor of thyroid cancer
also have Crohn's disease
CT and bone scan say NED as of 5/13
dx with severe cardiomyopathy 5/12 (likely due to chemo and Herceptin), ejection fraction in low 20's, now up to 40, went to 50, latest read 12/13 is back down to 35
1/13 Acute pancreatitis - are you kidding me?
9/13 started Humira for Crohn's. starting to have some energy again
B12 and Vit D both needed supplementation
Cataracts in both eyes noted 6/12 - surgery in the next 2-4 years?
4/14 Kidney stones/blockage/infection - related to Crohn's Disease
5/14 My aunt passed away - she was diagnosed after I was with Stage I - not Her2+, then Stage 4 for about one year
6/14 Scans - still NED, thank God. However, broken rib (I didn't notice) lots of bone degeneration osteopenia/osteoporosis. I also still have cardiomyopathy secondary to chemo.
Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:58 PM   #11
Andrea Barnett Budin

Smile Words can help us heal

I recently began reading HEALING WORDS by Caren Goldman. It was recommended to me by the rescue lady who brought Paul and me together with our two Maltese brothers 6 yrs ago. She is the sister of the author and was taken by my bc story and my belief in the mindbody connection. She was delighted to turn these two 3 mnth old pups who were so very sick and abused over to someone like me. She knew they would require special care and devoted healing techniques, beyond costly vet bills. Well, I finally got the book!

In it Caren refers to another book CLOSE TO THE BONE by Jean Sinoda Bolen in which that author explains how illness can initiate us into the Soul Realm. It is a threshold, forcing us to live on the edge, she is quoted as writing. I have personally found this to be true and am working on incorporating it into the book I have been working on writing for what seems like forever.

Through my bc experience I found new ways of knowing the world and myself. As we seek shelter from our anxiety, angst and anguish -- we seek significant connections. Hence this wonderful site full of others so much like us. Those who can uniquely understood what we are going through.

Bolen speaks of recovery occurring in and to the body and yet how it so profoundly affects the Soul. For me, bc has deepened my appreciation for Life's littlest of wonders. Sight and sound, the ability to feed oneself and bathe oneself, to walk and talk... True gifts not to be taken for granted.

Upon dx and throughout tx we face a maze of confusing information (which we gather from various sources, oncs, nurses, chemo mates and those we love and trust most in the world, even strangers). We have a cacophony of thoughts, fears and questions whirring about our heads all day.

What I discovered that is grand is that WE CAN CONTROL OUR THOUGHTS. We can therefore become the Master of Our Fate, by becoming the Captain of our Soul. When I consciously stop identifying myself as my mind (which can be wise and even brilliant but can also torment me to no end), when I align myself with my Truest Self, my Essence or Spirit -- I am connecting with a part of my divine Source. That is electrifying. Edifying. Enlightening!

We are never alone! And that is glorious.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
naturaleigh

My cousin just told me about an author she really enjoys reading who writes Life-Changing Fiction. Her name is Karen Kingsbury and she has written several series books. My cousin suggested reading some of the "Red Glove" series first, but she said every thing she has read by Kingsbury has been excellent.

er, pr-, Her2+++
Stage 2b, grade 3
negative nodes
4 rounds AC
3 months of weekly taxol
1 yr of Herceptin
Finish Herceptin May 2007
35 rounds of Radiation
Reconstruction completed Dec 2007
Implant replaced due to infection Mar 2008
4 Years NED!!!
naturaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
Mary Jo

Your cousin is right, Karen Kingsbury writes awesome fiction. I've read many of them and I, too, highly recommend them.

Mary Jo

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
Andrea Barnett Budin

Exclamation Changing tragedy into triumph

I love good days. And on the bad days I always say, TOMORROW WILL BE BETTER.

Thanks all for your input. I now have the start of one great BOOK LIST.

Anyone ever read MAN'S SEARCH FOR MEANING by Victor E. Frankl?

He's a renowned psychiatrist and Holocaust survivor. Victor speaks of surviving horrifying circumstances yet continuing to grow in the process. "We must never forget that we may also find meaning in life even when confronted with a hopeless situation, when facing a fate that cannot be changed".

He speaks of our uniquely human potential to transform tragedy into a triumph.

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #15
schoolteacher

Andi,

I had to read Victor Frankl in my graduate studies. He is my hero. The book Man's Search for Meaning had a big impact on my life.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #16
Vi Schorpp

Andi

I read Man's Search for Meaning about 20 years ago. When someone asks me what was the most profound book I have ever read this is the first book out of my mouth. We can't always control this situation, but we can control how we respond. True in every aspect of our lives.
Her2++, ER & PR++
RB Mastectomy, 4 AC,
Vi Schorpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:46 AM   #17
Savta

I just finished reading "Get Well Again" by Carl Simonton. It's not a new book, but having just finished my year of Herceptin, I found it comforting to read just how normal our range of emotions are. It gives a lot of common self-help advice.
I was also recommended to read 'Love, Medicine, and Miracles".
Savta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #18
juanita

the last speech was good. can't remeber the author's name. he was the professor who died from cancer, randy pausch maybe.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #19
Mary Jo

That's right Juanita....Randy Pausch....His book is called "The Last Lecture." It was good...I read it too.

Mary Jo

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 06-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #20
tammymarie1971

I recently read "Peace begins with me" by Ted Kuntz an excellent book about dealing with fear and anxiety no matter what the circumstances. I can't say enough good about this book..The depth yet simplicity was great.
Dx'd Dec'01 while 6mos preg. with #4. child (30yrsold)Mastectomy/AC chemo/radiation/ Recur:Mar'04 liver mets: 3 taxol/herceptin /liver resection/3 taxol/herceptin. Cured?
Recur: May'05 spine & Hip. New onc
treatment in Mexico Feb'06-Mar-06
back to Mexico June/July '06
Currently on herceptin/Zometa/Femara-recently added navelbine
Switched to arimidex Nov'06
ovaries removed June '07
ca15-3 in May'06 was 102
ca15-3 summer of '07 holding steady at 23!
ca15-3 slowly rising Dec & Jan 36, 38, 41 and Feb was 36
Feb '08 Liver, lung & Brain scan NED... bones are stable with even a couple spots gone. as compared with '06 scans
May '08 ca 15-3 is 55. Treatment is zometa, vinorelbine, herceptin and aromasin.
No signifcant changes.
Feb'09 Started Xeloda with herceptin..no more hormonals
Feb'09-June'09 tumor markers coming down again from 155 to 84
May'09 blood clots in lungs vena cava filter put in..Heparin shots daily for now.
tammymarie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote