HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-15-2009, 06:39 AM   #21
kcherub

Not sure if it has changed my life yet, LOL, but I just read "Resilience" by Elizabeth Edwards. I'd be happy to pass it along, a la Tiptoe, Tex & The Chicken style.

Take care,
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #22
Mary Anne in TX

Hi again Andi! I love that you started this thread. I have begun to read much more often once again after many years, and the thing that I have gotten for me from reading widely is how it causes me to find my own truth. Sometimes a read a whole book to find just one "stir me up" idea inside. But that book was just as valuable to me if it got my ol' brain in gear.
I guess I am getting old. I have gone back to looking for my internal truth that seems to get lost in the busyness of the world!
Wishing everyone happy reading and lots of peace. ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #23
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile We are each sacred -- divine beings...

Thank you all for sharing your book titles and your words.

Mary Anne it is so true, that reading is for me a daily ritual. I incorporate it because I am always hungry to learn, and because the Teachings that are embedded in so many books are so very powerful. And empowering!

I take key phrases that touch me, awaken me, resonate with me and write them on lilac 3 x 5 cards. I frame them and scatter them in locations I frequent in my home -- to remind me.

BE STILL... AND NOW THAT I AM is one of those phases that I cherish and set eyes on with each new day. To me, it means God is with me. I am never alone.

I believe that I am a body, a mind and a Soul. That is what defines ME. Not The Thinker in my head that is at times quite bright but often times nagging, complaining, criticizing, judging, feeling offended. That is not the True Me. That is what Eckhart Tolle says is our ego talking.

In that light, I suppose The Voice In My Head has many personas. And one, the ego, is stuck in its primal phase of being. Taking everything personally, being defensive and then offensive, acting like a child. We need to understand that that is not who we are. We are each a radiant Spirit. And when we connect with that truest part of ourselves, we feel LOVE, COMPASSION, UNDERSTANDING, GRATITUDE AND GENEROSITY. Our words, and acts, come from Essence when we make this conscious choice to redefine ourselves.

Rather than having what we say and do come from that angry brat that is stuck in our heads and keeps chattering at us with accusations and warnings.

This is a large step toward living in JOY and with PEACE.

For me canser initiated me into the Spiritual Realm. It was the gift that came with the horror. BC forced me to live at the edge, as you all no doubt readily understand.

This fresh perspective on Life came almost instantly to me. Don't be afraid. Be strong. Be brave. Be determined. Focus. Feed your mind the words you want to echo in your head all day. Don't be tormented by The Voice In Your Head full of angst and sorrow, uncertainty and worries.

Respond to the crisis that has fallen into your lap. Rather than react. Use your power of choice. Tap into your natural healing powers -- the mindbody connection. Become a miracle. Defy the odds.
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #24
Mary Jo

I just had to chime in again to say that I, too, meditate on "Be still and know that I am God" from Psalm, 46:10. It brings me comfort also in knowing that God knows our tomorrow's and we need not fret. Although we see many situations as "bad" He knows the ultimate picture - the ending - and "all truly is working for our good..for those who love God." Romans 8:28.

Peace be with all of you,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #25
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Smile Healing words...

Hi all!

I'm aware of the IT IS WHAT IT moments, as all of us surely have found. But what is grand is that we have been bequeathed, as our God-given birthright, the right of choice. Personal Empowerment! I am deeply grateful for the gifts that come with blessed gift, which are multi-dimensional to be sure.

Faith in the Spirit given me and in its wisdom to guide me helps me navigate through rough waters. It connects me with my Source, as it links me with my sacred Self. My spiritual home is my Soul. A holy place full of divine energy and eons of sage experience. Placed at the core of my being.

As God couldn't be everywhere and so invented Mothers (I love that view), God can't be everywhere and so gave us each a Soul.

I do not let go of outcomes, trusting in the Great Plan. Just not in me to do this. However, when I find my prayers unanswered, I do open to the Big Picture, true enough. We cannot see all from our place, I understand. But, still, daily, I take my faith in the Empowerment so graciously given me, and the guidance of my Spirit to help lead me to my desired destiny, and move forward. Onward and upward...

There is not one road we are meant to take. We have the power of choice. I endeavor each day to do my best, with love, faith and determination, to manifest my dreams. To serve others, showing how much I value each Being, each Soul. I see others as Souls. Some are lost, some are in need of support, all are radiant and worthy of our loving words and acts.

We can alter predetermination with the passion of our thoughts, prayers and actions. It is a Universal Law. We draw to us what we give away. For good or bad. So we must be cognizant of our thoughts, our words and our actions.

We surely can take the responsibility to help ourselves self-heal, another power granted us in the divine scheme. Wow, was that a stunning revelation (I began learning way back in the 70s). The mindbody connection is another gift bestowed upon us to help us overcome things thought decades ago to be beyond our personal ability to better. I have experienced this power, directing the conversation between my mind and my body, led by my Spirit. Talk about awesome! Miraculous outcomes can be ours with focused Intention and clear Expectation, despite all odds...

This book I am currently reading, HEALING WORDS FOR THE BODY, MIND AND SPIRIT by Caren Goldman just keeps getting better and better. It has given me much food for contemplation. It's awakened buried truths that just suddenly come up and resonate with such clarity! Much to ponder, so I read slowly, only a few pages a day...

Sending loving energy to all, as always, along with my hopes for inner peace for you,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 06-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #26
Andrea Barnett Budin

Naked truths

One of my favorite topics is FORGIVENESS. It has challenged me all my life. There were many years that I suffered from depression. Oh yes, I always had a smile on my face. I was always cheerful, not to burden others with my personal issues. But alone, I struggled to understand where my at times incapacitating sadness was coming from.

I found I was full of anger, resentment, blame and the inability to forgive my Father. I KNEW it was in my own best interest (for my mental health and well-being) to find a way to be forgiving. I was generally a forgiving person, after all. But, I could not find a way to let go of this burning rage I had (on behalf of The Child That Was Me). In her honor, I now stood to defend her with my outrage.

When I developed bc I instinctively KNEW I really really needed to achieve forgiveness. I just KNEW how negative emotions take their toll on our bodies and I truly wanted to heal -- in every sense of the word.

All the while, I also knew that I loved my Father as little girls do. I thought I understood that his daily verbal eruptions were as a result of his own disillusionments, his own pain. But I still could not master the forgiveness thing.

Then, I saw a young boy on Oprah, w/his Mom. His Father had recently died and he insisted each night that his Mother leave the porch light on. Oprah asked the boy gently why that was so important to him. He replied, because I know that my Dad would come home if he could find his way, so I know he must be lost. I want to leave the light on to help him find his way home.

I was blown away! I stopped wherever I was headed (as I do tasks while *watching* television). I sat down and I wailed and wept with a heaving sound that I didn't recall ever come from me. It came from deep down inside me. Somehow, I made the connection. Suddenly, I saw so clearly.

My Father too was lost. He was a lost Soul. Compassion for him came welling up to overflowing. And I instantly forgave him for everything, just like that. After so many years of trying to do just that. Deep introspection had not done it. Going to his gravesite and talking to him had not worked. But this random moment had rocked my world!

I had known forgiveness is a noble act, an act of grace, a gift we give ourselves more than the other person. I had known that it would set me free. That it would help me heal emotionally, physically and psychologically. But that little boy on television carried a message for me. I was so very touched by his sweet innocence. I identified with his loss, as my Father died when I was only 33. He was 63. Too young to be sure. I was 50 when I was diagnosed. But this child's words had a profoundly transformative effect on me that would last for the rest of my life.

Today, I was reading a chapter about forgiveness in HEALING WORDS FOR THE MIND, BODY AND SOUL and I saw -- forgiveness does not occur until love or compassion replace anger. When our emotional orientation toward the person who hurt us changes. That change filters into your brain biochemistry, the physiology of your body and your daily life.

So to anyone out there with a forgiveness issue (and I would venture to say WHO DOESN'T???) -- it is my hope this post will touch you and urge you to seriously reach down to be forgiving. To truly seek to empathize, trying to under the motivations of the one who has wounded you. See their humanity. See that we are each a sacred Soul, each doing our best to find a way to deal with our
personal battles. Everyone is battling something...

It makes us feel kind and generous when we forgive ourselves and well as others. TO UNDERSTAND IS TO FORGIVE (a French proverb).

Old 06-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #27
Andrea Barnett Budin

Smile Heads up...

JUST A HEADS UP. I'VE RENAMED THIS THREAD -- TO INCLUDE NAKED TRUTHS AND HOPEFULLY LIFE-CHANGING IDEAS...

Like the post above on the FORGIVENESS thing. It impacts us more than emotionally and psychologically you know. It takes its toll on our bodies, our health and well-being. So, it is a matter to be reckoned with to be sure...

Old 01-17-2016, 06:22 PM   #28
Andrea Barnett Budin

Re: Life-changing books and ideas...

Worthy of a repeat I think.

Let's add some books and ideas that are more current...

I will ponder this...

I surely have some gems.

Need to look through my book shelves...

And you ... ???????????