HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
valleygirl

Question for long term survivors

I have a question for you long term survivors. What changes have you made in your life that you think helped in your fight against cancer? Did you change your diet or add supplements? what about exercise? Did prayer play a big role?
valleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Re: Question for long term survivors

I'm not sure I can be classed as a long term survivor at seven years out almost but truth be told I changed nothing, I have mixed feelings in saying I quit smoking four months ago but know I should have done this years ago but thankfully so far so good and better late than never!!!

P.S I've always walked an hour daily though!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Jackie07

Hi Valleygirl,

I've been a breast cancer survivor for more than 8 years (and a brain tumor survivor for 22) I've only recently (the past 1 year) developed a strong taste of
oatmeal+fresh fruits+rasins+nuts(walnut)+yogurt+little milk.
I've learned to make vegetable and/or shrimp omlets this past year and really enjoy them.

There are plenty of researches showing the benefit of a good, vegetable-centered diet (see the 'Diet and nutrition' Board where we are fortunate to have both Tanya [our dietician consultant] and Lisa [a member who's also a dietician.]) As for supplements, you need to be very careful while undergoing treatment as certain ones might hinder the chemotherapy effect.

Prayers are definitely a big boost for people of faith. Researches have shown positive results - our brain releases more endorphin after exercise which aids the immune system. Prayers, happy thoughts and meditation also boost the endorphin production.

I've got cancer mostly because of bad genes (two family members have been diagnosed with HNPCC-related cancer) But I've also got longivity genes from my parents (96 and 88 and still going strong) My goal has been basically to out-live my parents so they won't have to mourn the loss of their child.

[Exercise is very important... My oncologist has been pushing me to do more.]

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Debbie L.

VG, at ten years out from stage III ERPR- breast cancer (sans Herceptin), I'm happy to be here answer your questions, but first I'd like to know a bit about why you're asking. If you think you're going to discover a common thread that "saved" any of us who are still here to respond to your question -- I warn you that such a thread will not be there. If there were any one single thing (or even a group of things) that made a big difference -- we'd know that by now ("we" being the big "we" of cancer care and research).

Plus, the research advocate within me has to point out that those who are not longterm survivors are not here to respond -- but if they were, their answers would almost certainly be quite similar to the variety of answers you're likely to get from those of us who ARE here. Cancer shakes people up, and changes are made.

I just deleted a long ramble on the topic, to await your answer as to why you ask the questions. I may be completely off-track.

In the meantime, I'll give my short answers: "yes", I made a lot of changes, but "no", I do not think they had any effect on the cancer's behavior. For any one individual, cancer is largely a crap shoot. We do the best we can, and some of us don't die of cancer, and some of us do. Some of us live long with cancer and some short. Believing that anything we do has much control over our cancer just does not serve us (or others) well, imho.

'Looking forward to this discussion, thanks for asking such good questions.

Debbie Laxague
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Bunty

Hi Valley Girl, I'm 11.5 years survivor, the past 4.5 stage IV. I think it's important to be gentle on yourself, and not stress yourself to be doing crazy things that 'might' have a benefit. Being around now for quite a while, I've tried a lot of things. After the initial diagnosis, I took up a vegan organic diet for a year, and through treatment did organic juices three times a day (lots of washing up was one of the results!) Gradually, eased out of that way of life, but did continue with acupuncture and herbal remedies for well being. I still believe that these can be a great help during treatment times. I certainly don't do vegan or juicing anymore, and I don't feel 'guilt' about that at all!

A big change I made was to move out of a high stress corporate job, and work three days a week, which I still do. At first I meditated/prayed a great deal, and that again has eased off over the years, but still a key part of my day. Keeping active - walking, going to the gym also has helped.

I think the most important thing for me was always to have a sense that I too was contributing to getting well, and not just leaving it in the hands of the doctors. I think in some ways it makes you feel a little more in control, when things can be seeming to be out of control.

Cheers Marie
June 2011 3cm x 4cm liver tumour. Started Abraxane and continue with Herceptin.
November 2011. Finished with Abraxane, continue with just Herceptin. Liver tumour now reduced to 15mm x 12mm. Lung tumour now 10mm x 0.5mm
February 2012. Scans show everything stable, and brain scan clear.
July 2012. PET/CT scans show I'm in remission - no active cancer!
]Dec CT brain cllear, lungs stable, liver tumour has increased to 20mm. PET scans showed active liver met and active lung thinglet, and possible bone met.
Jan 2013 recommence Abraxane, continue with Herceptin.
June 2013 finish Cycle 6 Abraxane, continue with Herceptin. 30% reduction in liver tumour, everything stable.
December 2013. CA15-3 on rise.
February 2014. PET and CT scans show single liver tumour has increased to 35mm. No other activity.
March 2014. Planned for SBRT for liver met, but couldn't have treatment as tumour too close to bowel. Continue Herceptin.
April 2014. Surgeon advises that I am a good candidate for liver resection, so will have operation early May (after camping holiday). Tumour now 44mm x 29mm.
May 7, 2014. Two liver tumours surgically removed. Third of liver removed, and gall bladder. Am I NED?May 2014. Pathology of tumour shows it's now ER+ (95% staining).
June 2014. CA15-3 has decreased to 18 from a pre-surgery reading of 59!
June 2014. Started Femara, continue with Herceptin.
July 2014. Stop Femara due to severe Osteoporosis. Commence Tamoxifen, continue Herceptin. Waiting to hear if I can have Aclasta infusion.
August 2014. CA15-3 has decreased further to 12 - YAY!
October 2014. Aclasta infusion for Osteoporosis. November 2014, CA15-3 decreased to 11. Scans of liver all clear, something new showing up on lung, but just watching at the moment.
November 2015. Started SBRT on solitary lung met.
November 2015. Bone density scan showed very good improvement so back on Femara - yay!
December 2016. 6 treatments of SBRT radiation on lung. Seems to have had some effect.
June 2016. CA15-3 still stable and low at 9.
June 2016. Started subcutaneous Herceptin replacing infusion.
Jan 2017. LVEF dropped to 46%. Stopped Herceptin.
Feb 2017. Started ACE Inhibitor and BETA Blocker. Still off Herceptin.
Aug 2017. Two new mets - Portacaval lymph node and mediastinal lymph node.
Aug 2017. Blood tests show extremely elevated liver enzyme levels. Many tests to investigate.
Sept 2017. Portacaval lymph node blocking liver bile duct causing liver enzyme and Bilirubin problems.
Oct 2017. 8cm stent inserted into liver bile duct. Procedure caused pancreatitis, and hospitalised for 3 days. Liver enzymes improving rapidly.
Nov 2017. Commenced 4 weeks of radiation on Portacaval lymph node. 5 week break before chemo.
Jan 2018. CT scan. 11 new small liver mets, and new superclavical lymph node med.
Jan 2018. Start Kadcyla. CA15-3 426.
Apr 2018. First scans since starting Kadcyla. All tumours reducing. CA15-3 dropped to 30 from 426.
Dec 2019. Still on Kadcyla, but two small brain mets have been treated in the past month with SRS. CA15-3 stable for 12 months at 11.
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Merridith

I'm a seven year survivor.

Didn't change my lifestyle. I've always eaten really healthy; don't drink or smoke. Avoid sugar & fast food. Moderate exercise.

Don't meditate, pray or take any other supplements other than vitamin D.

Agree with the previous poster.......everyone is doing different stuff.

From what I've read - from the studies the scientists are doing - The main things that that lowers your statistical risk is to keep your weight down & exercise & consume vitamin D.
Merridith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:54 AM   #7
Sheila

As a 10 year survivor, 9 as stage IV, I can say i always try to keep a positive attitude....truly, lots of chemos have kept me going as long as I have....good Dr's who know their stuff, friends, family, and lots of prayers. I have lost many of my friends on this same journey, cant explain why they are gone, and I am here....much I feel is truly part of the bigger plan that we have no control over. I do try to eat healthier, exercise more , avoid some of the bad stuff.....but my life is not directed around it....I enjoy each day I am given, tomorrow isnt promised to any of us!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #8
MJo

I remind myself a lot that life is precious and to make the most of it. How important is it?! Don't sweat the small stuff. All of the platitiudes are true.

That said, sometimes I follow my own advice and sometimes I don't. I left my high stress job and now do the same job in the same agency as a contractor. It gives me a little more control and a lot more objectivity. But I don't have a good income now and can't take the cruises I used to.

I go to the gym, although I've slacked off due to bad ankle sprain. I am an addict about food. Am amazed that, as a cancer survivor who knows the importance of diet, I can't lick the food thing.

I am a gardener and have not used pesticides or herbicides since my diagnosis 6 years ago. Oh the weeds. The weeds!

I still go to a 2x a month breast cancer survivor support group. Wonderful group of women. I am also open about being a survivor. I tell people.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
AlaskaAngel

10 years out, still NED

Things I share with the others who have posted:

From Bunty:

A big change I made was to move out of a high stress corporate job, and work three days a week, which I still do. I meditated,... a key part of my day. Keeping active - walking, going to the gym also has helped.

I think the most important thing for me was always to have a sense that I too was contributing to getting well, and not just leaving it in the hands of the doctors. I think in some ways it makes you feel a little more in control, when things can be seeming to be out of control.

From Meredith:

I've always eaten really healthy; don't drink or smoke. Avoid sugar & fast food. Moderate exercise.

The main things that that lowers your statistical risk is to keep your weight down & exercise & consume vitamin D.

From Sheila:

I enjoy each day I am given, tomorrow isnt promised to any of us!

From Jackie:

I've got cancer mostly because of bad genes

(but also good genes - many in both sides of my family with bc, only one who died back in the 1950's due to late diagnosis, and none who did chemo)

and

There are plenty of researches showing the benefit of a good, vegetable-centered diet (see the 'Diet and nutrition' Board where we are fortunate to have both Tanya [our dietician consultant] and Lisa [a member who's also a dietician.])

From DebbieL:

Plus, those who are not longterm survivors are not here to respond -- but if they were, their answers would almost certainly be quite similar to the variety of answers you're likely to get from those of us who ARE here. Cancer shakes people up, and changes are made.

From Tricia, about making changes:

.....so far so good and better late than never!!

From MaryJo:

I left my high stress job and now do the same job as a contractor. It gives me a little more control and a lot more objectivity. But I don't have a good income now and can't take the cruises I used to.

and

I am a gardener and have not used pesticides or herbicides.

From RB:

Balance types of fat intake. I do think we are what we eat, and that fats and inflammation are worth trying to understand.

From my life partner:

Practice assertiveness (I'm still learning the "be gentle" stuff.)

-AlaskaAngel
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED

Last edited by AlaskaAngel; 04-08-2012 at 09:22 AM..
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
valleygirl

Thank you for all your responses. I do need to make allot of changes. I eat way to much sugar, fast food and don't excercise at all. As soon as I start feeling better I'l be making those changes.
valleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Mary Jo

Almost 7 years and no real changes. I exercise 5 - 6 days a week, but I did before cancer too. I do try to eat well.....keep my weight in check....but I did that before cancer too. Some days I do awesome and some days I don't. The one change that I have made, that I did not do pre-cancer was supplements. I remember at first taking any and all that even hinted at there being a benefit, but I don't do that any more either. I take fish oil....Vit. D3. (5000 i.u.) and turmeric. That's it.

The one change that really did evolve since this journey began is that I am a HUGE lover of life and all it has to offer AND all I have to offer it. God has changed my world and it's no longer about me but about what God can do through me to make life better for others. For as long as the Lord chooses to have me here, I will live it in service to others and be thankful for the good health I now enjoy.

Great thread..thanks for starting it.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:49 AM   #12
Mtngrl

I echo Debbie's question about why you want to know, and her observation that there is no one thing that can fix this. If there were, it would be known.

I think the only reason to make any change after a cancer diagnosis (or any big bump in one's road) is if it makes your life better now. Better food, less stress, less anger, more exercise etc. might make one happier and more fun to be with. It might result in greater enjoyment of life. Those outcomes, to me, are reason enough to give it a try.

I ate well, exercised, prayed and meditated before my diagnosis. Obviously, none of that kept me from getting cancer, because here I am. I'm not a "long term survivor" yet, and I may not make it. Cancer has made me choose to live in the present more. It's not a survival strategy so much as a decision to give up trying to control things over which I have no control, and to avoid wasting precious time. The present moment isn't much, it's just all we have.
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #13
LoisLane

Hi Valleygirl I am not exactly a longterm survior I will be four years out in November. I am happy to share with you what changes I have made since my diagnosis. I certainly
try to eat healthier, buy organic when I can and generally have become more aware
of reading labels etc. I walk every day with my dog and am trying to get to some exercise classes. I think any changes to diet and exercise cancer survivors make is the same
that everyone should do for a healthy lifestyle. Take care.
Her2 negative
lymph nodes negative
venous/lymphatic invasion absent
ER+PR-
Stage I Grade 2
Radiation and Femara

November 2008
Lumpectomy right breast
2 tumours .03 cm and .05 cm and extensive DCIS
.05 tumour Her2+
lymph node negative
venous/lymphatic invasion "indeterminate"
ER+PR low postive
Stage 1 Grade 2

January 2009
bilateral mastectomy
chemotherapy taxotere
Herceptin one year
Femara
LoisLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Jackie07

Correction: ("The news of my [family member's] death has been greatly exaggerated. - Mark Twain"

Need to make a note that *nobody in my family has died of cancer so far. The three of us who've got cancer: Me - soon-to-be 22 year brain tumor survivor, 9 year breast cancer survivor; 2nd Brother - 3-year colon cancer survivor; Mother (turning 89 in late summer) - 14-year Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma survivor. We have all gone through surgery/chemo/radiation - whatever the doctor said we needed to do, we did it. Mother was a vegetarian (not excluding eggs and milk) for about 10 years before her NHL diagnosis. She now eats everything. Physically we've all been pretty active compared to the general population. Mother participated in folk dancing, Chinese Kungfu dancing - sword and fan, and Taichi at different times in her 60's and 70's. 2nd Brother swimmed on weekends. And I tapped my feet on the floor while channel surfing/keyboarding... (Was on track teams and basketball teams while in school.) Had worked consecutively for more than 22 years before being forced to 'retire' in mid 2008. The cancer cluster in my family fits the HNPCC definition.

*AlaskaAngel's posting about my family cancer history:

From Jackie
I've got cancer mostly because of bad genes

(but also good genes - *many in both sides of my family with bc, only one who died back in the 1950's due to late diagnosis, and none who did chemo)

and

There are plenty of researches showing the benefit of a good, vegetable-centered diet (see the 'Diet and nutrition' Board where we are fortunate to have both Tanya [our dietician consultant] and Lisa [a member who's also a dietician.])

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 04-16-2012 at 03:40 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
evergreen

I guess each of us takes a different road in our attempt to have some control over our future. I have read some research on cancer-fighting foods (admittedly only at the lab stage), and try to incorporate those foods into my diet, I exercise vigorously every other day and I try to keep control over my fears by enjoying the moment and appreciating each day. Realistically, I know that the medical interventions are likely the most likely to help me. But I feel that my own behaviours cannot hurt, if they are healthy ones.
evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote