HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Britbee

I really had no idea..

About all things related to breast Cancer before I was diagnosed. No one in my family had it so it came as a complete shock. Yesterday I went for a meet with my oncologist but that was not where I got my eyes opened. There was a young lady there that showed me many ways that I could be helped. I had no idea that those runs/walks for BC were for patients as well as for research I just always assumed it all went to research. I have insurance which usually pays 80% of my drugs but there are limits and there is a list and if the drug is not on it then you have to fight to get it. The Neulasta was one and another nausea fighting drug was another. I was taken to see a Social Worker and found that I was eligible to get aid for drugs that were not covered, also aid for parking (which is astronomical at the hospital I go to) and also even up to 100 dollars on my food bill. To say I was in shock is an understatement I had no idea these resources were out there. Needless to say my son and daughter and best friend are all renewing their vows to enter in the next BC benefit to run/walk. Now I have told people that the money from these runs/walks actually benefit people who cannot afford their medicine it makes them see it in a whole different and more favorable way.
Anyway, had my first chemo today and so far just have a headache. Had a portacath installed two days ago and I think it was certainly an advantage to have one.
Sorry for rambling on, love this site, wanted to let everyone know help is out there, not sure about anywhere else but definately in Canada!
Lobular carcinoma in situ focal
Paget's disease of nipple
One of 12 axillary lymph nodes with metastatic carcinoma
Negative for extranodal extension
Metastic tumor deposit measures 1.5 cm in maximal dimension
ER 0/8 PR 0/8
Her2 +
Treatment node positive HER2+ breast cancer treatment
Chemotherapy FEC-DH
Herceptin for remainder of year.
Chemo starts November 25th 2011.
Blog: http://importanceofmammograms.wordpress.com/