SPR Score 8/9
Ki-67 20%
BRCA genetic test 1/2=negative
Chemo: 6 rounds TAC Feb-June 2009 w/Neulasta
Herceptin: 6/12/09-6/4/10 52weeks
HNPCC genetic test: negative
Port Placement-9/23/09 Port Removal 6/25/10
Echo's every 3 months-All normal
2/09 Staging PET/CT showed 0.2 micronodule upper R lobe-lung-Onc does not think this is mets--
6/5/09 AND 10/09 CT scan 0.2 micronodule unchanged
1/10-PET/CT-uptake in nasopharynx-
1/10-MRI All normal
6/10-Bone Scan-clear
12/10-PET/CT-All Clear-NED
12/11-PET-All Clear-NED

12/12-PET-All Clear-NED
12/13-CT w/contrast Head, Torso-All Clear
12/14-CT w/contrast Head-All Clear
2/15-Core needle biopsy-R scar line

Cal-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #22
StephN

Re: Chemotherapy Permanent Hair Loss

The link in the post above goes to a legitimate site. It does focus specifically on TAXOTERE and hair loss.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #23
snolan

I learn so much from you all. I too was licked by the cow Kind of like the curls, makes it easy to style in the mornings. My eyebrows are still short and thin, my hair came back thicker so I'm hoping it doesn't thin when I finish my Herceptin. I too am glad just to have my hair back.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #24
Ashley

My mom was on Taxotere for serveral years, the first year she had 54 treatments and now it has been 5 years since this long journey began and she is Cancer Free. She has been off of the chemo for well over a year and her hair is coming back, but it is so thin it looks to be the hair of a 80 year old man and she is only 52. Her chemo office told her she needs to see a specalist because they aren't sure why her hair isn't growing back.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #25
Blondie

Wink Re: Chemotherapy Permanent Hair Loss

I had Taxotere. My hair has grown back really curly and so thick. The colour grew back awful- many grey hairs and an awful light brown. So had it all dyed blonde- too short for highlights! Hence, the signature name Blondie. Never thought I would suit the white blonde, pixie cut look. So have some fun, try a few different looks- you may be pleasantly surprised. Most of the people I have spoken to say their hair has grown back thicker.

(I have read that Vit D helps with hair growth- I take 3,000IU per day.)

Blondie
1/11 nodes +
Lumptectomy, radiotherapy
CMF chemo and 6 yrs Tamoxifen
Retesting in 2010 revealed tumor to be HER2+++

Microcalifications on mammogram
12 biospies- all clear
MRI-all clear

July 2010
Elected mastectomy right side,
10cm IDCS
1cm Tumor, Grade 3
Triple positive

3 Taxotere, 3 FEC
1 yr Herceptin- finish in October 2011
Tamoxifen
Blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #26
Unregistered

Smile Re: Chemotherapy Permanent Hair Loss

I had breast cancer in 2008 and was given taxotere as part of my chemo treatments. It is now 2012 and my hair has not fully returned. My hair is very very thin, my eyebrows consist of a few hairs, the hair under my arms never grew back (that was a blessing), the rest of any hairs found on my body grow very thinly.

I know I should be thankful to be alive, but having gone through a rough divorce just before the diagnosis, was like icing on a bad cake. I'm tired of wearing wigs and bandanas, I'm tired of having to draw in my eyebrows daily, I'm tired of being afraid of sweating my eyebrows off, I'm tired of having to wear fake eyelashes when going out. It feels like i have a daily constant reminder of the cancer. It kind of wears on your self esteem sometimes.

I'm glad for this blog, because sometimes it's just nice to vent to people who understand what you're going through...thanks : )
Old 03-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #27
greenacres

Hi there. I'm writing for whom I consider a friend. When I began my cancer journey she worked at the Cancer Center where I had my treatment. I could always tell she was wearing a wig, but I was never brave enough to ask but she came out and told me one day she too had been through breast cancer. This was well before Herceptin was available. She even took her wig off for me (I am crying as I type this because of her braveness) and showed me her bald head and with only 1-2 strings of lonesome hairs hanging down. From that point on, we had a connection. I found her a cool long, blonde, "harley girl" wig for her to wear when she's out on the bike with her husband and she was so thankful! All these years she's worn one wig, the same wig every day. Anyway, she is one who her hair has never grown back. Yes, that certainly did scare me as I stood there talking with her with my scarf on and bald as well. I can tell you though, I really don't think it bothers her so much but then again, I don't live with her or see her every day. She didn't even tear up when she told me. She has a smile on her face everytime I see her and is always upbeat. I know for some it's extremely hard to deal with. It depends on how you as a person decide to live with it. I don't know, maybe she's here, maybe she's reading this if so "HI WENDY! I wish you the best of luck.

PS, my hair has never grown back under my left arm either, but I don't know if that's from the Taxotere or the radiation.
Mammogram: 11/12/09
Call Back Mammo: 11/17/09
Biopsy: 11/25/09
Diagnosis Call: 12/2/09
Partial MX: 12/16/09. 3 LN clean.
6 Cycles Chemo (TCH) Jan-April/10; Herceptin all of 2010; 33 Rads complete 7/10. Herceptin done 12/10.
FOLLOW UPS:
Bil mammo, and Breast MRI 12/10 - CLEAN! (after a second lump was biopsied and BENIGN - showed giant cell reaction?).
Bil mammo 6/11 - CLEAN!
Left mammo 12/11 - CLEAN!
PET/CT scan 4/6/12 - CLEAN!
Bil mammo 8/12 - CLEAN!
November 2012 - Gallbladder Removed.
Bil MRI 2/13 - CLEAN!

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sandragreen
greenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #28
'lizbeth

I totally understand about the hair and Taxotere. I wish I had opted for Abraxane instead. Slowly I am adjusting to the new thiness of my hair. I miss the thick thick hair that I had before - so convenient and it made me feel so much prettier.

Some women can adjust, but for others it really affects their self esteem and quality of life.

This is why I am so enthusiastic about clinical trials. We ladies need to join them, so that others in the future don't have to suffer the devasting side effects that we do.

I can't wait to see TDM-1 approved! and some of the breast cancer vaccines.

Hallelujah to the ladies that join clinical trials - to make the change!

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #29
janda

Smile Re: Chemotherapy Permanent Hair Loss

hi all, i am also unlucky, my hair has not grown back properly, i have what they called male pattern baldness, i finished my chemo last november 2011, i had four epirubicin/ cyclophosfamide and four docetaxol alongside herceptin. I have tried alpacin and minoxidol to no effect. i am going next month to have a biopsy done of my scalp to prevent this happening to others iif possible. I am on tamoxifen and finished herceptin last month, my eyebrows are very sparce and have to draw them on, also i have eye lashes but very thin and short. My leg, underarm and lady garden hair rarely needs shaving not complaning there lol. I hope to god there isnt a lot of ladies in my position, this is devistating after what we have been through, but i can hold my head up and say i am a strong person and i am blessed to still be here xxx love to you all, keep strong xxx
janda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #30
healing

I purchased on QVC a Joan Rivers product that you brush on your scalp to fill in those sparce areas. After a good coloring and a few dabs of Joan's hair blush, I'm good to go. I have also started to use the Aveda products that promote hair growth. There is a shampoo, conditioner, and spray that you use twice a day. The package was pretty costly but I felt that I saved a bit of change during my bald ACTH months! I was expiencing some hair loss before my diagnosis - not sure if it was pre-menopause or maybe the start of my bc.
Keep the faith,
Kim
healing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #31
Rejoyce

I have permanent hair loss from Taxotere. I have to wear headcoverings. I have no eyebrows and very few eyelashes. My hair is sooo thin there is no way I could ever go with my head uncovered. In Jan. it will be 2 years since my last chemo.
Rejoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #32
norkdo

janda, duga and lori, I am so so sorry about your situations.
I found the hairloss really really hard on me. It really pushed my emotions from the sadness of diagnosis (May 2011) onward into helpless rage (from the time I started chemo July 2011 on til chemo ended in dec). I never realized how fortunate I was to have hair come back til I read lori's post above.

Thank you for the humbling.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #33
norkdo

p.s. in my pic, that was how my hair looked a few months before diagnosis.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #34
Nancy L

I am one of the unlucky taxotere hair victims. It happened back in 2005 and For years i would ask various oncologists what happened. All they would say is "this is not suppose to happen". I thought for years that I was the only person this had happened to until I had my first appt with Dr. Slamon in 2009. He told me between 1 to 3% of those who get taxotere never get their hair back. I struggled with being bald until I found the hair system I wear today.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #35
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Look at this old thread! Wow, till I realized, I was totally thrown.

Nancy, Did I miss it? What hair system?

My hair is way thinner and I have male pattern baldness (loss of a hairline on top and upper sides). Not attractive. I cover as best I can, w/what I have been fortunate enough to recover from 8 mnths of Taxotere (back in '98). Used to wear a headband and everything back sometimes. Now -- not. Too weird looking.

My oily hair is now super dry. I moisturize w/ev shampoo, use leave in conditioner daily. My curls are back. Cowlicked too.

No eyebrows. Few eyelashes. Draw brows on every day, and say, Thank you for my life! Spend 10 minutes w/mascara primer and various mascaras to plump up what I laughingly call my lashes.

So instead of plucking brows, I must now tend my moustache. What's up with that?! Adding insult to injury I think. (Had to share...) We all need a hug.

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #36
Pray

Nancy, My hair is very thin but also the fly away fuzzy kind. (This condition actually helps make my hair look thick unless I put it is a pony tail or bun.) Which started from the taxotere and arimedex didn't help it either. Now I'm on Aromasin and hair loss is the second side effect listed. Still I hope for the best. You mentioned a hair system you use do you mind telling us what it is and where we can find it? Thank you so much for sharing!
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #37
Nancy L

I have a custom piece that is bonded to my head. So it is like having my own hair. I sleep with it, wash in the shower, etc. i go to the shop once a month. They take it off and rebond. When I am feeling okay I am an outdoor person. I don't ever have to worry about the wind or a wig moving on my head. I have to drive an hour to the shop but Bette, the owner, has been wonderful to come to my home when I have been sick, spends the night and does my hair in my kitchen. She has become a good friend. Here is her website where you can learn more about this option. It is not just for Hollywood celebs. I see all the women coming to her shop. I read somewhere that one out of every one hundred women suffer from some degree of hair loss independent of drug side effects.
http://www.grafftech.com/
If you call her, I am sure she can tell you if anyone near you is in this business. She has been doing this for a long time and knows others in the business all over the US.
Hope this helps. It is not cheap but I decided I would rather do this and cut back on something else.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 PM   #38
Pray

Nancy, Thanks again for sharing! I will call tomorrow,
Her2 +3
4/12 nodes
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin 12 months 3weeks
Rad. 30 tx
Tamoxifin 6 months stopped
Arimedex stopped 9/12 (side effects)
Aromasin 10/12
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #39
srmink

Hello everyone-
(sorry I can't get the bold off)
I landed here after doing a Google search on permanent hair loss following chemotherapy. While I am a breast cancer survivor, I am not HER-2 positive. I did, however, have Taxotere (last infusion 9/29/10) and most of my hair did not return. Just enough to look really stupid - male pattern baldness, thin, baby fine and very slow growing. In a word - it's awful. I have permanent makeup for eyebrows and liner. I do have enough lashes glob mascara on, but they're rather puny. I highly recomment permanent makeup (tattoos) for anyone and wonder why I didn't do it years ago.
I wanted to comment about the hair solution mentioned here. I know a woman who also did this (different brand, same concept). She loves it. When we met about a year ago and she told me about it, she also told me how expensive it was. My response was I could sure have a lot of wigs for that price. Now after 2 years of trying just about everything, I'm pretty sick of this and may look into it.
I'm interested to know about others' experiences and solutions. I am ER+ and on Arimidex and may switch to Femara to see if that helps. While they both have the same side effect of hair thinning, it might not happen on a different AI. I am, however, convinced it's the Taxotere because it was obvious my hair was not returning before I started Arimidex.

Thanks for any feedback. Hope you're all doing well.

Suzanne
srmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #40
'lizbeth

I am curious if anything worked for others. I have the Aveda shampoo, but not the other products. My hair started falling out in gobs at first with it . . . hmmmm. Minoxidil, Rogaine - expensive and not that effective.

Argh . . . I'd like more hair for Christmas.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote