HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-05-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
KathyA

Anyone experience Blood Clot near port ??

I just came back from treatment. I have a swollen arm and hand the doc thinks it is a blood clot near the port. He put me on coumadin and I will see him again on monday. Today is Thursday. He suggested an ultra sound but said he really didn't care if I had one or not since where he belives the clot is does not usually show well in the ultrasound and he would put me on coumadin anyway. Does anyone have any experience with ports and blood clots? I'd love to hear.

I'm beat. This is my 3rd port in 1 year 4 months. This is my fourth different treatment in the same amount of time. Taxotere + carboplatin, navelbine, gemzar and now navelbine again all along with herceptin. Tumors to lung, liver and bone the cicle seems to be stable, increase, stable increase.

Thanks for listening.
kathy
KathyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
EllaD

KathyA,

I had a swollen arm on the port side right after my first chemo. It was very painful though. I had a doppler ultrasound since they thought it was a clot. Turned out to be phlebitis. I began chemo only 10 days after my third surgery for the bc. Apparently my veins were infected from one of the iv's in the hospital, my white count dropped so that I couldn't fight any infection.

I hope things go better for you.

EllaD
Right Mastectomy 10/17/05
Stage IIb,4/5 positive nodes
HER2+3 positive
ER- PR+
3.7 cm tumor
CX/Adrimiacin 4 over 8wks
Taxol/herceptin for 8 wks
Radiation 30 treatments
Currently on herceptin - every 3 wks.
EllaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
lisahammo

Hi Kathy

I am on to my second port, and all seems to be going well with it now. My first port only lasted about 6 weeks before I too, developed a blood clot. My arm turned blue, and swelled up. Nothing showed on ultrasound, doppler or anything, but they took the port pretty quickly. There was never any sign of the clot, but it was obviously there somewhere. I was put on Clexane injections twice daily for a month, and they had to struggle to find a vein for treatment.

They swapped sides with a different type of port about 12 months later, and as I said, no problems since.

Good luck. It just feels like the last damn straw. It is so frustrating, and enough to tip you over the edge. Just keep telling yourself, you have no choice, you have to keep going.

Love Lisa
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
Ruth T

Hi Kathy,
I had a clot from my port. My armpit was red swollen and very sore so the surgeon had me go for a doppler ultrasound and they found it. Put me on Lovanex shots (in the stomach) for 5 days and coumadin daily.They say it will resolve itself but no telling how long. One dr said maybe six weeks. The surgeon won't remove the port until it's resolved because of the chance of some clot moving during removal. They were able to use the port for my last chemo treatment though. I guess alot more have better luck with their ports- it's been very discouraging. I also have to see the dr regulary for the INR/ PT levels of the blood.This isn't a very encouraging post, but I wanted to share that you are not alone! Hang in there!
Ruth T.
Ruth T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
KathyA

Thanks EllaD, Lisa, Ruth

Thanks so much for replying. Ruth the note wasn't discouraging for me. I'm happy to believe now that I won't have to have this port out and that the drugs will help. I will ask for the ultrasound since all you gals were able to see one or no clot and that you were able to act accordingly. It's a new day and I feel better already.

Wishing you all blessings and better health.

Kathy
Old 10-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
John21

Don't you take coumadin everyday to keep your port working. My wife has for ever.

John
John21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #7
KathyA

John
My Onc says he used to give coumadin regularly to all his patience except now he says that there is research out now that showed that people got the blood clots just as much with coumadin as without it. Now he says he just gives it if there is evidence of a clot.

Best to you and your wife. thank you for responding.
Kathy
Old 05-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
Razz

Clexane and Tamoxifen Incompatibility

I had an infusaport inserted in my left side in February which had been accessed three times without any adverse effects for early onset estrogen positive, Her/2 neu positive breast cancer. Then after being accessed for the fourth time my arm became achy (like I had slept on it for too long), swollen and different in colour (red and blotchy) to my right arm. Investigations into these symptoms revealed a clot in my interior jugular and subsequent treatment with self administered Clexane injections. Mistakenly I thought my biggest worry from this would be the clot moving to my lung. (Well maybe it is!!) However discussions with my oncologist revealed another worry…I was about to commence Tamoxifen which doesn’t react well with Clexane. Three options were offered to me to deal with this (I won’t bore you with all of these details). After listening and trying to digest all three, I asked my oncologist what she felt would be my best course of action, this was ovary removal! I was wondering if anyone has had this faced this dilemma and all of the associated side effects, not the least being rapid onset menopause at 45.
Razz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
Mary Anne in TX

Hi Kathy!

I do take Coumadin everyday. Guess if it doesn't help with the port it might help with my heart and possible stroke. But Kathy, you sound weary (is that spelled right?) and I hope that you can make time for something nice for you this weekend. You're fighting bravely and being a great warrior. Give yourself a treat os some kind. For me, I go to the water and have a long, long lunch with my husband - it works wonders! Good luck on a good May! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
tousled1

Kathy,

I experienced b lood clots related to my port. My port in located in my left chest area and my left upper arm was sore. My oncologist immediately sent me for an ultrasound doppler and a blood clot showed up. I was put on Lovenox shots (in the stomach) once a day for a week and then put on coumidin. I had blood tests every week to check my clotting factor and my coumidin was adjusted accordingly. I was taken off the coumidin a week before my surgery and haven't had to go back on it. No more problems with clots and I still have my original port.

I would insist on tests being done before you start coumidin.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
Jen

John21

My daughter had a subcutaneous vascular access device (Mediport) for intermittent antibiotic infusions and wasn't on any anticoaggulant except for flushing the port once a month w/ 5ml of 100iu/ml heparin and 2ml of 100iu/ml heparin if it was accessed and not being used. She never developed any blood clots but the port did quit working after about 6 years due to the formation of a fibrin sheath on the tip of the catheter. Hope that info helps.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
StephN

Unhappy We don't need this!

Add me to the clot problem list! Also to do with my central venous line - second one which was placed last Aug.

I got home a bit ago from a 24-hour hospital stay while a whole raft of different docs and residents went over me to decide what to do. I am also started on the Lovenox shots - only TWICE a day to start with. These are pricey little devils at approx $44 each.

I am posting a separate thread, but appreciate that these messages were here to greet me since I have been away from my computer for a couple of days.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:42 AM   #13
Blanche

port removed/blood clot

Hi, this is my first time posting I hope I'm doing it correctly. I had a port put in on Jan. 25th and then had severe pain in my arm my onc and sonagram said it was a blood clot, my breast surgeon said she hasn't heard of that in twelve years (I thought of course ha ha) anyway I had my port taken out on March 22 and it's been fine, my arm is still swollen and you can see veins across collarbone. I am still on cumitin and would love to be off it just to say this blood clot is gone. My onc doesn't seem to be to concerned.
Blanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:19 AM   #14
Joy

me too

I had a clot in the vein by the port last October. Big doese of coumidin helped a lot. Fortunately I have been able to keep the same port and have had no problems since. I hope this problem is fixed soon and you can move past it without much worry or hassle.

dx stage I 2/2000*er/pr+; her- per IHC*lumpectomy*4 rounds A/C*30 rads*tamoxifen*dx stage 4 5/2002*huge mets to liver*tiny mets to lungs*stopped tamoxifen*5/02 taxotere/xeloda*her 2 checked with FiSH-her2+++herceptin *2/03 stopped chemo femara w/herceptin*zolodex*04 switched to aromasin w/herceptin*05 high estrogen tx*11/05taxol/carbo*7/06 stopped chemo; megace/herceptin*9/06navelbine/herceptin*5/07tykerb/xeloda great response*4/08 progression in liver; ooph/ faslodex /herceptin
6/08 began Herceptin DM-1
9/08 progression
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 AM   #15
JeanBeanie

Re: Anyone experience Blood Clot near port ??

Count me in.. I just got the news this past Tuesday clot in the neck near my port. Get 2 shots a day in the stomach.
Not sure how long the shots will be I have an aultrasound on the 22nd of April. This does stink just another issue on our list. I had the port in for two years and they do not want to remove or change position if they don't have too.
JeanBeanie is offline   Reply With Quote