HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2006, 09:36 PM   #1
lexigirl

Last chemo tomorrow

Hi Everyone,

Well tomorrow is my last taxol/herceptin tx. I am surprised to say that I am a little nervous about not having the chemo tx any longer. Weird, huh? I will be continuing the herceptin for the year if nothing changes. I am happy at the thought of having HAIR again and not having to avoid crowds and all that. I guess I'm just afraid the cancer may still be hiding somewhere. I am trying to stay positive and I am grateful that there is herceptin. I just thought I would feel more joyous in getting my last tx.

Thanks for being supportive,

Lexi
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
karenann

Lexi,

Good for you! I remeber how I felt when I did my last chemo. Where in Norther Cal do you live? I live in Walnut Creek.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
Tami

Congrats on your final chemo...2 weeks from now the residual steroids will subdside and the gray blanket that has fogged you will lift. The herceptin will keep doing its thing and you will start regaining your energy. Not to mention the new hair!! Time to celebrate and congratulate yourself for making it on this long haul. Here's to continued health and renewed vitality!

Best
Tami
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:06 AM   #4
LisaJ

Congrats Lexi! May you be filled with lots of energy and beautiful hair I am on the same regimen and I am not looking forward to that day either. I completely understand how you feel. But we have Herceptin and that is so important!!!! CONGRATS!
LisaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:12 AM   #5
lexigirl

Smile

Thanks all for you responses. I am getting ready to fo and while it does feel bitter sweet, I am thankful that hoefully the worse is over and now on to radiation! Oh Boy! This rollercoaster never ends!

Thank you for being supportive. I know that you all are so understanding and loving. I am happy we can share our feelings here and be understood. It makes my heart happy.

Karen, I live in Dixon. Halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento. It's a terrific town for raising our kids. I haven't been to Walnut Creek in ages. There is some nice shopping there! Back in the day when I had no kids and was so into myself and clothes Tee Hee Hee...

Love,Lexi
Old 01-04-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
Unregistered

Talking Last chemo

I too have finished with the chemo. I am on Hercetin weekly and have started My radation, % down 25 more to go. My hair is coming back nicely too, going to be curly after all these years of being poker straight. Here's to us ladies, we will make it. God Bless
Old 01-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
Becky

I remember last year (Jan 31) was my last Taxol. No Herceptin then (but I started 4 months after that via the results of the HERA trial so I am on Herceptin every 3 weeks until the middle of June). It was bitter sweet but I did have the rads and at least felt I was still doing something - then started the Herceptin.

Your hair will be great by the beginning of May. The curls will most likely go as you keep getting your hair cut (unless it was curly before of course).

I think the nerve racking part for me will be in June when Herceptin ends too. Most of the gals I met during chemo were not Her 2 so they ended after rads and then I started on Herceptin so I (like you) have not been "weaned" from the safety and security of the cancer center yet. That day will come and we will learn that we will be okay all on our own (with alittle help from our dear friends on this website and others).

Congratulations on completing this major hurdle.

Warmest regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
chrislmelb

i remember...........

You sort of feel lost. I didn't have radiation so i finished up after chemo. Your world has revolved around your treatment and then suddenly it is gone. BUT after a while it feels great. After i finished with the chemo ward i never wanted to go back but i am there now having Herceptin on trial.
Take care
Christine
chrislmelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:23 PM   #9
Joan

Last chemo

Lexi,

I know how you feel, the mixed emotions came for me, not after chemo but after I finished rads. I am now on Herceptin every 3 weeks, but after completing chemo and rads, I sort of felt 'Is that all there is?" While I was receiving chemo and then immediately afterwards rads, I was 'up' for a fight and didn't feel as exhausted throughout the whole process as I felt after finishing radiation. I was left feeling 'How do they know if the Herceptin will work or not?' I did not have that feeling when undergoing chemo and radiation. I did experience a wee bit of a let down feeling, not the sense of relief that I had expected to feel once chemo & rads were over. However, once my hair started to come in, I got a boost and you will too. You are lucky to get Herceptin and there are few side effects compared to chemo and rads.
The diagnosis, surgery, chemo, rads happens in such a whirlwind and you are pushed along and it's sort of like a scary ride and you are terrified and glad when it is over, but somehow experience somewhat of a let down feeling and are left wondering 'what next?'. I finished rads in November/05 and I am now afraid of recurrence whereas I never thought of recurrence when going through chemo and rads......Like I said, I was just up for the fight during that period.
I think lots of others go through the same emotions and they all pass - just enjoy your hair when it comes in.
Cheers!
Joan
Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #10
lexigirl

Thanks Ladies,

I love sharing storys. My chemo went well today and I while I was feeling a little sad that I wouldn't be seing my nurses any more I remembered that I've got a years worth of herceptin to do! What a ding dong!
So far I am feeling ok. My husband spoke to a Pastor friend of his and told pastor how I was feeling. The pastor said, "Now she will count on her faith to get through the rest"! Awesome! I can get it. Sometimes I need a kick in my pants!
Thanks for sharing everyone. I know that I am not alone and it makes me feel less scared.

Love,
Lexi