HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
LisaJ

Supplements

Hi. I need some help. I was just diagnosed at state IIIA, er/pr - and HER2+++. I am meeting with the onoclogist for the first time tomorrow so I am not sure what my plan is going to be. I wanted to start taking supplements and I am not sure where to start. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Lisa
LisaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
Becky

Usually during chemo, the oncos don't want you taking anything other than a multi-vitamin so make sure you ask on your doctor's view on this. On Sunday at 8pm (eastern time) we are having our first moderated topic discussion in the chat room and you should try to attend as the subject is Nutrition and Supplements (so you can ask questions and get alot of response from the group just on this subject).

It is always best to eat a well balanced diet and follow the new food pyramid (making sure you get adequeate protein levels during chemo).

Ask your doctor what his views are on taking supplemental Omega 3 fatty acids (ie: fish oil tablets or flax oil) as this is very beneficial for Her 2 + breast cancer (as is olive oil or olive leaf extract - I think taking a tablespoon a day of extra virgin olive oil will be fine as it is a whole food product).

I hope this helps a bit and hope to "see" you in the chat room.

Warmest regards

Becky
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 05:40 PM   #3
Unregistered

You might like to read the posts on diet and those on omega threes and sixes.

If I was asked one single thing to look at in diet it would be fat intake, and increasing omega three and decreasing omega six to try for a one to one ratio.

I am not aware of any trials on omega three and herceptin although I recall seeing one is in progress. Generally omega three enhaces most treatments according to the trials, but best to look it up for yourself.

Look up NCBI on your search engine and enter breast cancer and the treatment option. The search can be refined to include the specific typing as well. This will pull up the trial summaries. Read the final lines and you will get some idea of the impact, and you have a resource to take to your advisor.

RB