HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 04:48 AM   #281
linn65

Re: Calling all stage iv sisters

I am soooo glad to be Done with herceptin.!!!! My feet ankles hurt so much, I had it on August 20th and they just aches! Any idea on things to try.
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:51 AM   #282
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

CONGRATULATIONS!

Works for me, and many -- Co Enzyme Q10 -- 150 mg
AM + PM w/food
Alpha Lipoic Acid -- 300 mg
AM + PM w/food
L- Carnitine -- 500 -- 500 mg
AM + PM on empty stomach

Let me know if this combo works for you, please!

With love,
ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #283
ricky

Andrea,
My wive, Marsha, diagnosed 7 + years ago with stage 4, multiple liver mets, has been NED 6 years. She has beeen off Herceptin since March 2011. All her PET scans since 2006 have shown her to be NED.
I'm so happy for you. It's good to know that you can beat HER2.
Rick
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #284
Saygoon

So very glad to read these posts. I am Stage IV with bone Mets - 17months sometimes I get a little scared and these posts renew my hope! Thanks Ladies
Herceptin, Zometa, Taxotere and Anasterole and of course radiation
2/14/2014 2 mets on pelvic bone
Stop Anasterole continue on Herceptin and Zometa start radiation (again)
2/24/2014 start T-DM1 continue Herceptin and Zometa
4/28 more radiation that brings total to 5 (10 days ea) - I think I will soon glow in the dark....
6/01/2014 Great news! Rib mets gone, 4 of 5 spine mets showing new bone growth and pelvic mets shrinking.
8/28/2014 T11 on spine is being stubborn started Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa and Taxol - goodbye hair!
9/04/2014 Tomo therapy - pain finally gone
1/3/2015 - starting New Year out as still stable. Feeling positive
2/23/2015 - problems with left leg, bone met flaring up - MORE radiation Whew!
2/24/2015 Stress fracture in right side of pelvic - (great just great) back to wheelchair then walker then.....
2/26/2015 Off Taxol!! Still on Perjeta, Herceptin and Hormone Blocker starting to feel a little more human.
4/10/2015 Cancer has spread to spinal fluid - not sure where I go from here
6/29/2015 Omaya Port placed,begin IT Herceptin on 7/7/2015
Saygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #285
Saygoon

Please add me!!!! March 2012 and in love with life!
Herceptin, Zometa, Taxotere and Anasterole and of course radiation
2/14/2014 2 mets on pelvic bone
Stop Anasterole continue on Herceptin and Zometa start radiation (again)
2/24/2014 start T-DM1 continue Herceptin and Zometa
4/28 more radiation that brings total to 5 (10 days ea) - I think I will soon glow in the dark....
6/01/2014 Great news! Rib mets gone, 4 of 5 spine mets showing new bone growth and pelvic mets shrinking.
8/28/2014 T11 on spine is being stubborn started Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa and Taxol - goodbye hair!
9/04/2014 Tomo therapy - pain finally gone
1/3/2015 - starting New Year out as still stable. Feeling positive
2/23/2015 - problems with left leg, bone met flaring up - MORE radiation Whew!
2/24/2015 Stress fracture in right side of pelvic - (great just great) back to wheelchair then walker then.....
2/26/2015 Off Taxol!! Still on Perjeta, Herceptin and Hormone Blocker starting to feel a little more human.
4/10/2015 Cancer has spread to spinal fluid - not sure where I go from here
6/29/2015 Omaya Port placed,begin IT Herceptin on 7/7/2015
Saygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #286
KristinSchwick

Stage IV with bone mets since 2011. Now on Perjeta, Herceptin and Taxotere, tumor markers dropped almost 150 pts with this combo- and I started jogging again. Ya Me!
Kristin
March 2011: 6 wks rads.
Mother passed, lower back pain.
Late May 2011: Bone mets but organs clear; Tykerb, Xeloda, Xgeva. Stopped Herceptin. Implant infected: removed implant.
October 2011: Bone progression; Gemzar and Carboplatin & restarted Herceptin.
Jan 2012: Progression, re-classified as ER+; Tykerb, Herceptin, Zoladex & Femara. Anti-E is working!
May 2012: ovaries out, markers stable but elevated. Cont. Herceptin, Tykerb, Xgeva & Femara.
Dec 2012: aromasin
Jan 2013: faslodex, herceptin, tykerb
Jun: Kadcyla
Aug: Rads to hip, then Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
Nov 2013: Perjeta, Herceptin, Halaven
Early 2014: Affinitor, Aromasin, Perjeta, Herceptin.
June 2014: Estradiol, Perjeta, Herceptin
Aug 14: Tamoxofin, H & P
http://kristin-notdying-blog.blogspot.com/
KristinSchwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #287
janice

Introducing myself.
Single mom of two, ages 14 and 10.
Dx de novo stage 4 12/2010. Er+/Pr+/Her2+. Responded well to tx for 2.5 yrs.
Aug PET showed NED (yay!) but... something "suspicious" on brain. MRI showed 8 enhancing lesions, 2 large (apparently, 40% ish of Her2+ get brain mets! Herceptin doesn't penetrate BBB.) My brain mets were asymptomatic, which considering the volume, I think is unusual.
Now getting Whole Brain Radiation. If mets shrink enuf, will get Stereotactic Radiosurgery to what remains.
Will start Kadcyla on Fri. I am trying to get Perjeta, too.
Want desperately to live a long time for my kids, who really need me.
Was glad to see on here that there are some who live a while after brain mets, as the stats are so terrible. Want to hear encouragement!
-Janice
janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #288
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

It's my belief that reading statistics is detrimental to your health. People who take those stats and process it, end up becoming one of those awful statistics.

There is at least one person who has survived what you have. If they can do it, so can you.

My prognosis was grim, invasive lobular 4th stage bc and then 3 yrs later, as Herceptin was fast-tracked by the FDA -- clinical trials are such a long and tortured process, abandoning people who could benefit to hold on if they can -- I found that I was 80% HER2+. That's how they categorized such people in '98. When the bc spread throughout my liver, my stats fell even lower. I might live out the yr.

I determined to be among the tiny group that survived. Please read my threads, especially the latest A SIMPLE FORMULA FOR CHANGING THE FUTURE.

You want encouragement, Janice? I am here for that very reason! Any time...

With love,

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 09-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #289
janice

No replies? No encouragement?

I am so encouraged to see that there are a few sisters alive some years after brain mets. Any with multiple lesions?

I see some are alive due to husbands/ partners aggressive work getting them the best tx. I am single. Any advice on getting advocacy for me as a single mom, for not standard tx, but the best tx?

Thx
Janice
Old 09-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #290
Andrea Barnett Budin

PM NEDenise.

So Cal Girl

Steph

Read their posts.

Search on this site for brain mets.

Lots of info here.

Ferret it out.

Sorry my post wasn't helpful to you.

ANDI

Old 09-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #291
janice

Oh, Andi, thanks! No, when I posted my 2nd post, yours hadn't come thru yet, so I hadn't seen any reply to my post yet (I wasn't saying your reply was unhelpful.. it hadn't shown up on my computer yet, so I thought no one replied at all). Thanks so much for your reply! Your story is great! I sure hope I will have similar luck!! Stories like yours give hope!

-Janice, now getting WBR for 8 brain lesions, 2 large.
Triple positive since 12/2010, mets to bone til now, which are now not lighting up, so NED below brain.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #292
Andrea Barnett Budin

Understood, Janice. I am wishing you good luck with your WBR. Has to be scary. But, be brave anyway. That's what courage is all about (you still feel fear, but you do what you must anyway). Learned that over the years.

8 lesions -- so what chemo are you/were you on?? I know Herceptin doesn't cross the BB barrier.

Those I 've mentioned above in previous post have gone your route and are still all here I am elated to say. Cause I happen to love each and every one of them!

Sending you a virtual big hug, Janice! We all need a hug, ya know. It just helps I find...

Old 09-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #293
Andrea Barnett Budin

Was searching for you and BB barrier and found this thread... 'lizbeth always is savvy in general and has much to offer re this particular topic I see. Sharing...

The Blood-Brain Barrier and Neuroinflammation - Dr. Datis Kharrazian - HER2 Support Group Forums

Knowledge is power!

Old 09-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #294
janice

Thanks Andi, I'll look at that thread now.
Dx at Stage 4. Started with Herceptin and Xgeva. I was on paclitaxel for year (began with Taxol, switched to Abraxane, those are 2 different forms of the same chemo, which is paclitaxel). Good response. Then switched from paclitaxel (for a break, getting neuropathy) to Faslodex (1st hormonal tx), continuing all along with the Herceptin for Her2 and Xgeva for the bone mets. Mets improved, but primary was growing, tested pos for BRCA2, convinced them to let me have a bilateral mx June. NED from neck down... but brain mets! Now 10 days of WBR. Tomorrow I'm supposed to start Kadcyla. Nervous... i've been lucky so far to tolerate txs well.... will this one make me sick?

-janice
Old 09-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #295
alicem

Hi Janice,

I also suggest that you start a new "thread" and ask your questions there. I think your post has gotten buried in this one, it has been around for awhile.

My cancer has not recurred, so I'm not a stage IV'er, and I can't help with anything you might be going through. I can tell you that there are many women here who can. Additionally, those like me will also be there on the sidelines to act as your cheerleaders and support in whatever comes your way.

You are welcome here, although I think you'll understand that we all wish you didn't have to be here.

All my best,

Alice
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #296
Jackie07

Saw this encouraging story by Luchy 4x in the 'Herceptin side effects - real or perceived' thread. Need to add her to the list - for fear I'd forget:

Hi there!
I haven't been here in so long, but I thought I should post this as I am a Herceptin Life-timer. I have been on Herceptin since Sept, 2005. Every 3 weeks, via Port, without fail. I have Syma (Canada) or Mugga scans every 3 months and see my onc. every 3 months. I am lucky that the mets to both lungs that were discovered in 2005 are completely gone and I have had complete response to Herceptin. Side-effects? Nothing I would ever complain about but since you asked... my nails are crap, therefore I get bio-gels once a month (but its $$!) and sinus probs with sores in nose but like I said nothing to complain about. My heart is fine, I dragon-boat race on weekends and practice 3x a week with a whole boat (22 women) of breast cancer survivors. I am lucky to be able to have herceptin as I am a 4 time survivor, since 2000. When I asked for Herceptin in 2002, I was not able to have it- I didn't have mets. Boy am I glad that rule has changed and now it is given as part of a regiment for Her2pos patients. Memory loss- not from Herceptin- but def. from chemo. Always happy to speak to anyone about my story, about Herceptin especially since it worked so well for me. By the way, I was given the choice to go off it .... I said "NO WAY! It's the only thing keeping me alive"!

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 07-01-2014 at 11:30 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:03 AM   #297
4angel

Thank you for the up date, glad you mentioned the nails, because mine are a mess and they kept telling me it was from the taxol, The worst are the two big toe nails, they are almost back to normal but after 15 months post taxol I had hoped to see more improvement. But if the Herceptin is also hurting them, it makes more sense. Do you have any Nueropothy? For me that is the worst side effect...Glad to hear your heart is doing well too...Almost two years of treatment and I do worry about the long term effects. I'm on both Herceptin & Perjeta...
4angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #298
laura4252

I like that.....You can beat Her2---We need to hear more stories about this.
2005 I was diagnosed Stage 0, Her2+++, PR & ER-. Lumpectomy, radiation to right breast.
2009 March Metastisized, small pea size lump. "poorly differentiated invasive ductal carcinoma" Recommended mastectomy, Herceptin one year, 4 months chemo. Oct.- Feb 2010 I decide Herceptin only (allergic to Taxotere).No mastectomy
2010 Feb-Oct off Herceptin Metastisized to left lung Oct-March 2011 back on Herceptin
2011 Herceptin "not cutting it" Lung lesions persist so tried several targeted chemos: Tykerb(Lapatinib) 6 weeks, tummy upset so stopped.
2012 Moderate propgression lungs/chest wall January-April Xeloda (foot blisters)April: Navelbine May: Port installed right boob bright red. Sept decide to consider mastectomy Start Gemzar to reduce tumors in right breast. Scheduled surgery for Dec. TDM1 approved so decided to try that.
2013 TDM1- Excellent response till June, then breaking through TDM1. PET/CT show mixed response
2014 Tried Seattle trial- did not qualify. Last TDM1 Feb. No treatment Feb to now. PET/CT June shows breast clear, right lung clear, left lung lesions persist. Deciding whether to try Abraxzane- Have not wanted to lose my hair or remove my breast since 2005-right breast, original site, has no detectable cancer. What to do, what to do???? There are no easy answers, so we all just feel our way through this journey called "LIFE." That's my story- I still hope for NED, and I really like hearing that YOU CAN BEAT HER2!!"
laura4252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:08 AM   #299
Gift

Please count me in. Recurrence as stage IV in January 2014.
Lumpectomy on 12 Dec 2010
TCH x 4 (6 are planned but low WBC), 35 hits Radiation, and one year Herceptin
Jan 2014: met to bladder and then liver and lungs
Jan 2014: Operation to remove 3 cm. tumor from bladder
May 2014: started Taxotexe & Tratuzumap (either Herceptin or Herculis, being a part of Mylan research)
Oct 2014, 3: finished 8 cycles of Taxotere & Tratuzumap
Oct 2014, 24: only Tratuzumap every 3 weeks
Jul 2015: progress in bladder - operation and keep on Tratuzumap
Dec 2015: progress in bladder still & met to ovaries
Gift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #300
annettchen

Add me on as well! Diagnosis in February 2014, with bone mets off the bat. Currently on Herceptin and Perjeta, plus Xgeva, and stable. Hoping to go where Andrea Barnett Budin, StephN and some others have paved a path...
04/2014: Started 6 cycles of "PHD" (Perjeta, Herceptin, Docetaxol)
07/2014: Finished 6 cycles of PHD; restaging; 2 bone mets are sclerotic - looks like Herceptin and Perjeta is working
10/2014: STABLE!
01/2015: STABLE!
04/2015: STABLE!
08/2015: STABLE!
12/2015: BRAIN METS. BODY STABLE.

Last edited by annettchen; 10-30-2014 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: Typo
annettchen is offline   Reply With Quote