HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
mmoons

PET scan....scared...

Hi there-

Well, we are settled in Michigan and loving the fall weather (when it is not raining)!

I saw my new oncologist. I had pain in my right ribs, which I figured to be from the radiation. Turns out I have 3 fractured ribs. I know now that it is not uncommon for this to happen.

The x-ray showed a spot in my upper right lung. So they ordered a PET scan which shows a small dense area. My new oncologist in Michigan feels certain it is too dense and lobular to be anything but cancer. My old oncologist in Dallas says that she feels CERTAIN it is scarring from the radiation and not cancer.

My new oncologist wants a CT-guided needle biopsy this week. My old oncologist says she would not stick a needle in there...no way!

I am still on Herceptin but my new oncologist is so sure that I have a progression that she cancelled my Herceptin infusion for tomorrow.

Please...share your thoughts with me. Please share your experiences. I am so grateful!

Maureen

My loves

IDC & DCIS, HER2+++ Diagnosis: October 1, 2008
  • Tumor: 6.8 centimeters, never showed on mammograms
  • ER-/PR-
  • November 2008: Sentinal Lymph node surgery. 6 out of 9 lymph nodes with cancer
  • Stage IIIc
  • Lapatinib Clinical Trial start: November, 2008
  • Surgery: May 5, 2009
  • Started Herceptin: May 19, 2009
  • Started Radiation (33 rounds): June 10, 2009
  • September 2009: Moved to Michigan to be closer to family
  • 12/09 - still on Herceptin until May 2010
  • August 2010: Port out, port out, port out port out port port port out port ooooout...da da da dant! (to the music of the Pink Panther)
Blog: http://moonsfamily.blogspot.com
mmoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
lkc Gumby

Re: PET scan....scared...

Hi Maureen, I am sorry you are dealing with this. Sounds like your new onc is being super cautious, as by continuing to tx you without a tissue confirmation can be abit dicey. I would encourage you to have your new onc to speak directly to your onc in Dallas. They can then discuss your case ND rationale between themselves, and Then YOU can decide which way to proceed.
If it was me, I would stay the course and watch for any changes to this area. If its it scarring it won't change .
I hope somehow this helps.
Let us know, how things go.

Dxed Stage IIIC May 05, 12 pos nodes
er/pr -neg,Her -pos
LVI
Right partial mast & partial axillary dissection-June14,2005
Right modified mast-no clear margins- June 30, 2005
DD AC x4
Taxotere X4 with Herceptin
Rads x 35( 5 fields )
Left prophylactive mast( atypia & hyperplasia found ),
put on Tamoxifen x 1 yr; D/ced due to endometrial thickening
bilateral recon (saline implants)May 06
Nipple recon July 06
metformin 2010
removal of implants due to severe encapsulation, insertion of gummies 2013
Reclast Q yr
NED!!!
lkc Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Faith in Him

Hi,

Is the nodule on the same side as the radiation? I have scarring from rads on my bc side.

I know how scary this all is right now. I hope it turns out to be nothing.
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
tricia keegan

Maureen, I have no advice or personal experience but just wanted to wish you wll and hope this is just scarring
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
chrisy

AARRRGH!

Sounds like you are in need of a 3rd opinion! Or at the very least, that conference call between the oncologists - and I would suggest including the radiologist as well.

You have a scan which seems, based on what you say, to be inconclusive. So you do need more information. That could either be waiting and watching OR biopsy. But you need to have more than "I'm sure it's this" (with opposite conclusions) to go on.

Here's a few more questions to add to the mix:

1. What did the radiologist report say? Are the 2 oncs basing their opinion on looking at the scan themselves, or the radiology report, or ?
2. Did the PET show this new "spot" to be metabolically active (what was the SUV?).
3. Why would you cancel the Herceptin infusion? Even if this is progression, any new treatment protocol would probably include Herceptin anyway. I would want the herceptin so I wouldn't be completely "naked" while sorting out what the scan really means.

Tough decision. You need to know what the true answer is - but it seems you do have time. Assuming the rib pain was due to the fracture, you really do not have symptoms from whatever the lung thingy is. Ask what is entailed, and what are the risks in a biopsy. Weigh that against having a follow up scan in another month - including how the uncertainty will affect you. See if you can get consensus among your team, then go with you feel is right.

Take care
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #6
RhondaH

Maureen,

I TOO am in Michigan and I would maybe seek another opinion before I start poking around. I sense you had a good relationship w/ your old onc. I am on the west side of the state and see Dr. Mark Campbell from Spectrum and I have COMPLETE confidence in him. Good luck and take care.

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
BonnieR

I don't have anything concrete to add. Except that it does sound as if you need a tie-breaker. I am not sure I am understanding why you would discontinue the Herceptin until another plan is developed.
Just mostly wanted to say that I empathize with your feeling scared.
Keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
sassy

Maureen,

As Chrisy said, what would the rationale be for halting Herceptin? Seems it would be even more important should this be a recurrance. Is this perhaps a knee jerk reaction?

What is your new onc's experience with HER2+ BC?

All that said, I too had a small spot show on my lung while on Herceptin. My onc felt certain it was a small exposure during radiation, and nothing more has come of it, four years later. I had a CT two weeks ago that was clear.

Getting the oncs to consult with one another would surely be helpful.

Sending strength,
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
Ruth

Maureen ~ I hope that you can get some answers to make you feel better. I question stopping Herceptin too. I would want to stay on it anyway since it would be part of any new treatment I assume? What a horrible waiting period! I know you want answers. You are in my thoughts and I hope it is just scaring which does happen often.
Hugs ~ Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Yorkiegirl

Maureen I am so very sorry you are going thru this. Maybe you can have your new Onc call Dr. O and they can discuss together.
Does this new Onc how well known Dr. O is? I know at the place I go to Texas Oncology they even consult with Dr. O on things.
I would worry about stopping the Herceptin with out any conclusive dx.
I will keep you in my prayers.
MRM 4-5-05 w/ 2 tumor's 5cm, and 6 cm (right side)
IDC (poorly differentiated infiltrating ductual carcinoma)
5+/16 nodes
Stage III A
Grade 3
ER/PR-, Her2/neu ++
Ki67 78%
Begin Chemo 5-2-05 4XAC Dose Dense , 4X Abraxane Dose Dense (ended August 05)
28 Rad's ended October 13 2005
Started Herceptin Weekly August 2005 for one year
Had a Simple mastectomy left side after Mamo showed incresed micro-calcifications. Jan. 17 2006.
Brain MRI Feb.2006--All Clear
August 28, 2006 Last Weekly Herceptin.
October 2006--Colonoscopy, 6 Polyp's removed--all B9
PET Scan July 2007
Abdominal MRI Oct. 2007---2 Right Kidney Cysts
Core Biopsy-- Lump on Scar Line 1-10-08---B9
Brain MRI 6-2008--All Clear
PET/CT Scan 6-2008
Sept. 8 2008, 4CM area removed from mastectomy scar line. Proved to be B9.
PET/CT Scan-- July 2009 --All clear
August 17,2009 ---Had Port Removed
6 Years NED -- April 5,2011
DX'd with Melanoma left arm 10-10-2011
Yorkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
Joan M

Maureen,

I'm sorry you're having this difficulty, especially after just relocating. And also having to deal with widely different opinions.

I had a solitary nodule in my left lung that turned out to be breast cancer, and here's a few things I learned from the experience.

What was the uptake value (SUV) of the PET? Was it 3.0 or greater, which could indicate cancer (it can also indicate an infectious process).

Did the PET scan have a CT portion (as in PET/CT scan)? If so, was there a nodule on the CT portion that correlated to where the PET lit up. Even though the scan is a nuclear test that emphasizes the PET portion, which measures the intensity of metabolic activity (hence the light), the CT actually looks at morphology (sort of like a mammogram that describes how a nodule or a cyst looks). It's also used for correlation purposes and gives a more precise location of the area that lights up.

If there was a nodule on the CT portion, how big was it? Was it described as spiculated? Spiculated nodules are suspicious for cancer. (I'm not sure what lobulated means in this context.)

How big was the area that lit up on the PET portion? The probability of a nodule lightening up decreases when the nodule is under 1 cm, but that doesn't mean it isn't malignant. In my own case, in 2007 a PET/CT showed a 9 mm nodule that lit up and looked malignant on the CT part of the scan. However, that same nodule showed up on the CT portion of a previous PET/CT, but it was only 5 mm and was not noted in the report since it was too small and didn't light up. That is, the PET/CT is a nuclear test, so emphasis is placed on whether anything lights up. My onc asked the radiologist to compare both scans, and sure enough, the same nodule was there in the previous scan six months earlier. She asked for the comparison to determine whether the nodule had been there and, if so, how quickly it had grown.

The size gives an indication of whether to proceed with a biopsy. If a suspected area is under 1 cm, it's difficult to get an accurate result. The radiologist using a CT guided biospy may end up not getting enough for any result. Or, in my case, for the nodule that was 9 mm the radiologist got a piece of it but the path report noted only adenocarcinoma. The problem was that both breast and lung cancers are adenocarcinomas, and there wasn't enough from the biopsy to distinguish them. I had only one nodule light up and having previously smoked, lung cancer could not be ruled out (and it's not treated the same as metastatic bc). However, my local onc had my breast cancer slides sent to the large cancer center to compare to the biopsy slides, and based on the comparison, the pathologist favored a diagnosis of breast cancer. When the nodule was surgically removed and tested, it was found to be breast cancer.

So, you might want to take some of this information into consideration in determining whether to proceed with a biopsy or to wait perhaps for another scan to see whether the area is growing. There's something called doubling time which shows the rate of nodule growh based on number of days over a period of time. It can be used to indicate whether a nodule might be malignant, benign or an infection.

I'm sending you a lot of hugs for comfort.

Joan
Diagnosed stage 2b in July 2003 (2.3 cm, HER2+, ER-/PR-, 7+ nodes). Treated with mastectomy (with immediate DIEP flap reconstruction), AC + T/Herceptin (off label). Cancer advanced to lung in Jan. 2007 (1 cm nodule). Started Herceptin every 3 weeks. Lung wedge resection April 2007. Cancer recurred in lung April 2008. RFA of lung in August 2008. 2nd annual brain MRI in Oct. 2008 discovered 2.6 cm cystic tumor in left frontal lobe. Craniotomy Oct. 2008 (ER-/PR-/HER2-) followed by targeted radiation (IMRT). Coughing up blood Feb. 2009. Thoractomy July 2009 to cut out fungal ball of common soil fungus (aspergillus) that grew in the RFA cavity (most likely inhaled while gardening). No cancer, only fungus. Removal of tiny melanoma from upper left arm, plus sentinel lymph node biopsy in Feb. 2016. Guardant Health liquid biopsy in Feb. 2016 showed mutations in 4 subtypes of TP53. Repeat of Guardant Health biopsy in Jana. 2021 showed 3 TP53 mutations, BRCA1 mutation and CHEK2 mutation. Invitae genetic testing showed negative for all of these. Living with MBC since 2007. Stopped Herceptin Hylecta (injection) treatment in March 2020. Recent 2021 annual CT of chest, abdomen and pelvis and annual brain MRI showed NED. Praying for NED forever!!

Last edited by Joan M; 10-13-2009 at 07:03 PM..
Joan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
Sherryg683

You definately need to know the SUV factor as some has stated. My lung met (if they indeed were) had a very low SUV factor .08 and 1.5. I have read that if they are over 5 then it can be worrisome for cancer. I never had mine biopsied because I was told they were too small and treatment would have been the same anyway. But if something ever came back, I would indeed insist on a biopsy, that's the only way to know for sure and if it's not then your mind will be at ease. sherryg

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
Jean

Maureen,
My dr. has been following a small nodule on my lung for over two years. It has not changed in size. Just had another c/t scan and will be getting results.

Maybe you should see a lung speialist...to work with your onc. That is what I did. I think Joan has given you great advise. I know that if the nodule is small it is very difficult to do a biopsey and may not be worth the risk
especially if you track the nodule and no growth is present and proves to be just a benign nodule.

Get that third opinion and see a lung specialist.

Best wishes,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #14
Paty

Maureen,

You said spot in upper right lung. Not long after I finished radiation, I started coughing and had short of breath. My onc ordered an x-ray and the radiologist said it was metastasis to my lung. I went to my onc and ordered another x-ray, it turned to be lung fibrosis from radiation. Check out again, you may probably need a third opinion. Love to you....Paty
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #15
ElaineM

Wink Re: PET scan....scared...

I am so sorry you are going through this. Being in a different environment makes it even more difficult for you and your family.
Did the PET scan show hypermetabolic activity? I think hypermetabolic activity during the PET scan shows where the cancer is in the body. How big is the lung nodule? Many things can cause small lung nodules.
I think all the doctors involved should have a conference call to discuss your situation. Sometimes they can all be looking at your films while they talk. I once participated in a conference call between two doctors and myself. We were all looking at my films even though we were in different places. It was pretty cool !!
I would continue the Herceptin even if everyone decides on a biopsy. I had several actual surgeries with general anethesia at the beginning of the week and Herceptin plus chemo at the end of the week without problems. I had major hip surgery that ended early Thursday morning and still had my treatment on Friday afternoon. It can be done if you are physically strong.
Take care. Hang in there.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #16
SoCalGal

For sure I agree with Chris - WHY cancel herceptin? I might have to cancel that oncologist. There are too many questions and there is also a school of thought with her2+ cancer that goes something like this:
If you put a road block in the road (herceptin) which blocks most cars, but a few small ones sneak through, don't remove the road block - add to it - reinforce (tykerb, avastin, etc). That was described to me by Dr Glasby at UCLA.
Stay strong - you're gonna be ok! Stay focused and make them answer your questions.
Flori
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #17
Linda

Maureen:
So sorry you are going through this. It is SO stressful.
There's a lot of good advice from our sisters on this thread. The only thing I have to add is to suugest having other radiologists look at your scans and make a report. Your onc is reacting to the report, I suspect, not the scan itself.
Lung spots/shadows/nodules seem to be notoriously hard to diagnose, with lots of false scares (I had 2.) Find the top 2 radiologists in your new area and ask them to weigh in. And yes, radiation can and does change the way your lungs look on scans.
Good luck
Linda
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:53 AM   #18
mmoons

You guys are THE BEST!!! Seriously...! I feel so bad for reading often but posting rarely. Although you are always in my prayers I get so little time on the computer that I have fallen off on posting my support. So thank you for still caring about me. Okay, enough of the Catholic guilt. I am so grateful for you all.

I insisted on my Herceptin for today so they have me back on the schedule. I go this afternoon just in time to get the kids from school.

Additionally, I am picking up my x-ray and scans from the hospital to overnight them to a couple different radiologist who have agreed to look at them.

I have also found another well-respected doctor at Karmanos in Detroit who will see me next week.

Regarding the report, it bothers me that it says "Primary versus metastatic cancer until proven otherwise". I guess they have to say that. It says I have low grade F-18 FDG activity and the SUV is 3. It is very small = 1.5 cm. The nodular density is in the anterior right upper lobe and shows on the x-ray and PET - CT. I am not a physician but it just seems to make more sense that it is radiation scarring because it is right there where I had radiation. As far as the ribs, I am sure my bones are more brittle from a year of treatment.

I will let you know what happens. I feel very positive.

Thank you all again...so much!!

Maureen

My loves

IDC & DCIS, HER2+++ Diagnosis: October 1, 2008
  • Tumor: 6.8 centimeters, never showed on mammograms
  • ER-/PR-
  • November 2008: Sentinal Lymph node surgery. 6 out of 9 lymph nodes with cancer
  • Stage IIIc
  • Lapatinib Clinical Trial start: November, 2008
  • Surgery: May 5, 2009
  • Started Herceptin: May 19, 2009
  • Started Radiation (33 rounds): June 10, 2009
  • September 2009: Moved to Michigan to be closer to family
  • 12/09 - still on Herceptin until May 2010
  • August 2010: Port out, port out, port out port out port port port out port ooooout...da da da dant! (to the music of the Pink Panther)
Blog: http://moonsfamily.blogspot.com
mmoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #19
Shobha

Maureen,

I am happy to know you got herceptin back and are getting additional opinions!

I am praying hard that it is only some scarring and nothing more!

My bones have become very brittle too and I have been on Evista for past one year. Also taking 1500 IU of Vit D3 every day to help with the situation.

hugs,
shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #20
alicem

Hi Maureen,

I don't have anything else to add from what everyone else has said. I just wanted to comment on your beautiful picture - your hair is growing back YAY!!

I'm sorry that Texas has lost you to Michigan - I hope you've been able to stay warm, I see that the weather has been quite chilly lately.

Anyway, I hope you get some answers soon. Glad you were able to get your Herceptin. Wishing you all the best.

Alice
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote