HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2006, 07:00 PM   #1
Joe
Webmaster

Opportunity to be involved.

We received a letter from the Department of Defense (DOD) Breast Cancer Research Program (BCRP) for volunteers to participate on scientific peer review committees.

As a member of these committees, you will help evaluate various grant proposals received from various researchers that seek federal research funds.

It requires a 2 day visit to the Washingon DC area in August or September. You will receive Travel, accomidations and meals as well as a $1250.00 honorarium.

More details are available at: http://cdmrp.army.mil/cwg/default.htm

The HER2 Support Group will sponsor your application.

Regards
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
Alice

Joe,

I would like to get involved with this program. I'm not sure I am qualified though.If you think there is a possibility can you e mail me and let me know?I just attended a seminar at the cancer center where I was treated and I know a lot of their funding is thru grants.
Thanks, Alice
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:33 AM   #3
Lani

great idea, Joe

I attended the Era of Hope last June and met some of those "consumer activist peer reviewers" and was quite impressed. It is definitely not for those who "don't do their homework" as the peer reviewers were NOT talked down to and made momentous decisions regarding which lines of research get funded and which don't--an awesome responsibility.

Looks like it takes a letter from you Joe. How many volunteers are you looking for?

Lani
Old 03-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #4
anne

Hi Joe,

I would love to be involved. I live in the greater D.C. area so I would be glad to host some people and would not need any accomodation or airfare. I will look at the application process. I would also like to know how many people you want and the fact that it's my mom who is a B.C. patient, I would understand if you choose a survivor instead. But I would be glad to help in anyway possible.
Anne
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
Joe
Webmaster

The Department of Defense will do the actual selection process. They contacted us to furnish candidates for their consideration.
Regards
Joe
Old 03-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
Lee

Hi, Joe.

I'm rather new here but I would love to do this. I'm a federal lobbyist for the nonprofit organization I work for so I advocate for things in DC all the time.

I was diagnosed in Sept. 05 with Stage IV Her2+++ cancer and am currently finishing up 6 rounds of chemo. Right now, I guess I would be considered NED.

Let me know what I need to do. Thanks!
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
Oliviab

Like to help

Joe,

I was dx in 12/04 with Stage I IDC. Would love to help out in this way, or any other. I live in the Baltimore area.

Olivia
Old 03-07-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Joe
Webmaster

If you are interested in this program, email me your fax number and I will fax you all of the materials.

Regards
Joe