HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #61
carlatte7

Re: Emergency mri &%#@$!!

Oh, Denise....i am sorry that you are dealing with more- again-, but glad no new uglies are the problem. Sending prayers...
May1- first chemo.
May 5- I could no longer feel the mass. Really. Neither could my oncologist.
July 2- 4th TCH- Oncologist cancels last 2 tx due to "complete response"
August6- lumpectomy with axillary node dissection. No disease present in breast. 1 out of 14 nodes + (4mm)
MUGA #2- 72%
Finished 30 rads Oct '12. Mild lymphedema noticed when I had 2 rads left.
Continue Herceptin q3w until next May
April '13- first mammo since surgery- calcium deposits that are " not concerning." Well, they are concerning to ME! Turned loose from surgeon for 6 months! One more Vit H, will make plans then for port removal.
Oct '13- no change in calcium deposits. "See ya in 6 months!" Keeping port for now.
March '14- oncologist says return in 6 mo.
April '14- mammo unchanged. Surgeon will see me in 6 months but no mammo for a year unless something changes. Its getting easier, but oh, boydo i hate that scanxiety! Keeping port until 2 year anniversary of last Herceptin.
Sept'14- bloodwork good, return to onco in 8 months.
Oct'14- surgeon will see me in April '15. Moving on.
May '15- mammo unchanged, keeping same schedule. Tumor markers soon and if all is well port comes out.
July '15-tumor markers normal. See onco in a year. Appt. for port end of month. First grandchild born July 1st- for today, life is good.
carlatte7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #62
norkdo

Denise....i come to look for you here. I want you to post more often! Please!!! prayers and love go out to you.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:14 PM   #63
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Me too. I am looking for an update on you, Denise.

I think of you ALL the time.

What's happening? Did I miss a post????

LOVE,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:59 AM   #64
NEDenise

Hello My Friends,
Soooo sad about losing Amanda... have been in a bit of a funk. okay... a lot of a funk. Her pain must have been unimaginable. I'm glad she's found much needed peace. But, I just can't stop thinking about her husband and kids. So sad. Such emptiness.

I will miss her already, and want to post a remembrance, but I just can't yet. There are so many priceless things about Amanda... I don't want them to fade.

Losing so many friends, in such close succession... is starting to become overwhelming. It definitely has made me realize how much we need each other... well, at least it's made me realize how much I need all of you! As Shirley pointed out to me... you never know when or who your posts might reach out to... whether they were intended for that person or not.

At first, I thought I needed a break from the board and all the sadness... but I've realized that's exactly what I DON'T need. No one in the world understands what it's like to be us... except us. We have to be here to support each other. So... here I am... tear stained cheeks and all.

Honestly, I haven't been feeling well at all. I'm relieved that the MRI showed nothing tragic, of course.
And the weekend was fabulous!
The kids did great at the band competition,
the fall leaves were in their full splendor...
I got to spend LOTS of time with Ted and our youngest, Ben.

But... I just don't feel well. Like... full blown chemo, not good.
Which can reeeaaally drag your mood to the dumps.
The arm shaking is lessened.
The off balance-ness is tolerable.
No more visual symptoms at all.

Still having trouble with speech.
Now in the spirit of full disclosure... I have always talked fast... really fast.
I've actually had students ask me to slow down because they couldn't "listen that fast".
But this isn't exactly slower speech.
It feels more like how I talk when I've been awake waaaay too long and it just comes out slowly,
a little too quietly, and not crisp...
I drop the consonants on the ends of some words.
Does that make sense?
My brain is sharp... but not my tongue.
And, I could lapse into a nap at any time of the day or night, just by closing my eyes for a few minutes.

On top of that, I have a dull headache almost 24/7 and feel just a little bit nauseous too. I thought it might be related to my thyroid and adrenals but so far we haven't found evidence of that.
As far as Ritalin is concerned I took that before BC for what we thought was chronic fatigue. (thanks for the reminder Rhonda - and welcome back! I've missed you!)
I now think it was the beginning of BC ravaging my body.
I'm torn between wanting to feel better, and being afraid to mask symptoms that might kill me.

Now, friends, remember, you asked.
Please don't think I'm worse off than I am.
My cancer seems to be stable.
It doesn't get a whole lot better to my way of thinking!
I just wish I had more energy and could get more done!

Thank you all for caring about me and checking in on me.
I'm sure you don't realize how much your concern and support mean to me.
Believe me when I tell you that I get much more from being here than I could ever give back!

Sorry this got long. Hope it didn't drone on or ramble too much!
Love to all of you!
And unending prayers as you face the challenges in your life... BC related or not!
Denise

PS- Caroline, I loved the song... no "inappropriate" ad before the version I watched.
NEDenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #65
norkdo

Red face Re: Emergency mri &%#@$!!

Oh thank you Denise for your post. Thank you thank you.
Your spirit is such a massive treat. Whether low or celebratory it makes not one whit of difference. It just is something I crave to read. You are the most splendid, alive, and life-giving treat. It makes no difference whether your post is indicating sadness or disability or joy and accomplishment. You are the light and soul, to me, of this board and I can't stop rereading your posts, whatever they indicate.
Of course I would love great news and I know those will come. But don't forget to sleep a ton. The body heals during sleep. It has to shut down operations to heal. (My vet instructed "no walks" while my new four month old great dane is recuperating from kennel cough and ringworm...the latter provided by the free kitten the farmer gave me when i purchased the boston great dane pup at three months of age...thanks kitty!) It hit me like a lightning bolt. Of course! Bodies can only heal during shut down of operations!
Me too, re sleep.
I recall such fatique for a couple of years before discovery of "our" (yours and mine) onset of cancer at stage three.
Fatigue went away after treatment (well after the post treatment fatigue went away). Now it is back. I know it is advancement of the cancer beyond the node in my chest that was treated by radiation and so-called "disappeared" but i may be lucky and perhaps it isn't. I find out end of next month when i go for my scans. No symptoms but fatigue. Funny enough the fear is so minimal that the cancer advances because i have read these boards and know that the signature lines contain survival beyond the worst of symptoms that you, for example, are currently enduring.
So thank you for sharing everything as God is in the details of the posts and the excellent survival beyond the worst of pain and weird symptoms.
Love you,
Inspired by you.
You, to me, have become the heart of this site.
Manda's passing is hard on us. We honour her incredibleness in our tears for her.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #66
KsGal

Denise...Im sorry that you have not been feeling well. I've been feeling the same, although so far my scans are stable. I think that, in my case, it's stress. I apparently can't handle emotional things or stressful things like I used to, which means I am less "me" than I used to be, which upsets me more.
Losing so many sisters here in what feels like a short period of time, and witnessing how fast things can change with this disease has really frightened me. Seeing so many warm, loving, intelligent women lose the battle right in front of my eyes has saddened and depressed me. But then, we should be sad. It's a terrible loss.
Apparently, in my "new normal" state, I need to find a new way to deal with and express my feelings that my brain can handle. Apparently laying in bed isn't fixing anything..
Just want to make sure that you know how much you mean to everyone here, how everyone looks forward to hearing from you and how much you inspire others to keep going forward. This site has been such a tremendous help to me, and all of us, and I am just so grateful to have found it and all of you. I certainly wish we could have all met under different circumstances.
Im going to keep working on getting my positive attitude back...but big hugs to everyone, and all of you are in my prayers.
December 2012 was diagnosed with five brain mets, and had whole brain radiation.
Around July 2014 two mets in brain, one a residual spot and one new one growing in size. Received Cyberknife on both areas
Clear/NED
April 2015 remain NED
KsGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #67
Pamelamary

So glad to hear from you, Denise, even if you are feeling less than your usual self. Ramble you may do, but in the most delightful way, and drone - never! Which is part of why you shed so much light on this forum....
Warmest wishes..... Pam
Radiotherapy, i year Tamoxifen, 4 years Arimidex.
Rediagnosed 2012: Multiple bone metastases.
3/12: began on Marianne trial - T-DM1 + Pertuzamab/Placebo.
5/12:Unexpected development of numerous bilateral liver mets. Came off trial.
Started Docetaxol/ Herceptin + Zometa.
8/12:Bones stable +major regression in liver (!)
9/12:Can't take any more Docetaxol! Start on Herceptin and Tamoxifen. Cross fingers!
Changed to Denosumab.
11/12: Scan shows stable - yay!
11/13: Still stable :-) !!!
1/16: All stable, but lowered calcium, so switched to Zometa 3 monthly.
2/19: Happily still stable on Herceptin, Letrozole and 3 monthly Zometa.
Pamelamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #68
Bunty

Denise - even in your darker moments, you inspire. Love you my friend. We are all here - right now - always.
Marie xx
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #69
Lien

Hi Denise,

Your symptoms could be burn-out stuff. You have been under a lot of strain for a very long time. Sometimes our bodies just tell us enough is enough and we need to do relaxing and fun things for ourselves. If your cortisol levels are elevated all the time, your system just crashes sometimes. I could be wrong ofcourse, but at might be something like that.

Hugs

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #70
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Hi Denise,

So distressed to hear about your crappy symptoms. They all suck. Wouldn't wish them on anyone.

You are overwhelmed, stressed out and your body is messed up.

I am praying for you to find the way around all this.

If you haven't checked out my latest post in A SIMPLE FORMULA FOR CHANGING YOUR FUTURE, please take a look. I had you, and well, all of us in mind, when I wrote those words.

It's the only way around our far too many losses in far too short a period of time.

GROUP HUG, EVERYONE!

We must keep moving forward. Onward and upward. Which takes a hell of a lot of effort, I know.

Once in the chemo room days (10 yrs of them for me) the social worker sensed I wasn't myself. I am usually sunshiney, as you are Denise! Apparently, my glow was rather tarnished.

She came over to me, brought a chair up beside me and asked me what was going on.

I stammered. Clueless. I responding, I realized that not only my dearest friend on the planet, Sue, had passed on, but this one and that and oh that one too. My chemo mate for 5 yrs, who sat beside me every wk, who I talked to and e'd and went to dinner with as both our husbands always accompanied us and were there to support one another as caregivers.

The social worker suggested that I write each person's name down and then touch each name, close my eyes and think of them. That I take a few moments to send them my love, which I did at length, and then to send them my blessings and prayers for them.

When I got home, I made my list. To my amazement, there were over 20 names!!!!!!

That alone shook me, but also served to get me out of my funk, which I hadn't fuller realized I had sunken into.

One by one, I did as she suggested. And it was an amazingly gratifying experience. I felt very connected to each one for the few minutes I spent with them. I had a form of closure, sending my love and offering my blessings and prayers. I felt they were with me! Truly! That they heard me. That my words were heard.

You may want to try that out. May it help bring your joy and serenity back. And may your lousy symptoms lessen with each hour of each day, NEDdy!

I love you.

ANDI
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote