HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2014, 01:42 PM   #61
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Re: Why i take supplements

fyi -- CONOMYSELF is Rachael and she is fab!

Dr. Gaynor's book, Healing Essence is on Amazon! I suggest you grab it.

Cat, how are you???

Appreciate all the kind words. I put a lot of time into all my posts and all my heart so it is encouraging to me that it I am helping/uplifting some...

Been busy celebrating Life. Just turned 70...! Yikes. I was 50 when first dx. And well, you can see my tale below... May it inspire you! That's why I share.

Sharing is what Life is all about. We need to share our feelings and our experiences, to help one another.

Love,
Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #62
KathyT

Andrea,
Do you take Turmeric? If so, how much....there is no research done on this so I haven't been able to find the amount on the Internet!
Thanks
Kathy

January 17th 2014-mammo, ultrasound, biopsy
January 20th 2014- diagnosed, ER/PR+, Her2+++, Stage 2A
January 21st 2014-MRI, right breast only plus lymph nodes
January 23rd 2014- Pet scan-2 cm tumor, 3 lymph nodes
February 4th 2014-port insertion
February 12th 2014-first chemo treatment(TCHP x6 cycles)
May 28th 2014-LAST chemo treatment!!
July 10th 2014-double mastectomy
July 29th 2014-start radiation(30)
Sept. 11th 2014last radiation treatment!!!
November 12 2014-started Tamoxifen
January 20 2015-reconstruction begins, lat flap
February 4 2015-last Herceptin treatment!!
April 24, 2015- pet scan-NED!!
June 3 2015- exchange surgery, port removed!!
September 8 2015-hysterectomy/oophorectomy
September 15 2015-Revision of lat flap reconstruction
December 23 2015-nipple reconstruction
May 9th 2016-Mets to pituitary gland, liver and C7 vertebrae
May 10th-port put back in:(
May 17th- biopsy of mass on back
May 19th-started Herceptin/Perjeta
May 20th-5 treatments Cyberknife to pituitary gland tumor
June 9th-Started THP (will have 6 cycles)
August 17th-MRI of brain, significant reduction in tumor
😃, repeat MRI in 3 months. Received first Zometa
infusion.
June 24th 2019- Thoracic spine Mets, leptomeningeal Mets , 10 radiation treatments
Aug 1st- Ommaya Reservoir implanted
KathyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #63
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...

Hi Kathy!

No, I don't take TUMERIC. Whenever possible I would add the

spice to what I'm cooking (which admittedly is kind of not

happening).

When I google/goggle any supplement alllll the webmd and

other medical sites tell you not to take supplements as there

is not enough known, blah, blah. I've been encountering this

for decades! It infuriates me. Just saying.

Without my longgg list of supplements, meditating daily, talking to my body and instructing it to keep me HEALTHY AND WELL, NO MORE CANCER several times throughout the day -- I would not be where I am. It's just foolhardy to tell me that I am a miracle (as my docs do consistently) and not investigate why this miracle occurred. I do believe it's far more than luck. It's resolve, unflinching determination, remaining open to offering and accepting LOVE and kindness, compassion and understanding. Seeking to be strong and brave.

I've always seen myself as being on a path, and through the 10 yrs of chemo and all that entails I would always summon the strength for that victory lap...

Livestrong has some good advice I find.

Check out this article.

Recommended Dosages for Turmeric | LIVESTRONG.COM

Tumeric's anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties

make it a great candidate for helping a variety of diseases.

Dr. Christiane Northrup (WOMEN'S BODIES, WOMEN'S

WISDOM) says -- THE ROOT OF ALL BODILY DYSFUNCTION

IS -- INFLAMMATION.

I believe this!!!

And, I view cancer as a bodily dysfunction (vs a thing to

reviled and hated).

To me, negative energy is of absolutely no use in working

toward to becoming victorious, or in any endeavor or challenge

we wish to undertake.

Hugs,

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Old 11-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #64
KathyT

Thank you Andi!!

infusion.
June 24th 2019- Thoracic spine Mets, leptomeningeal Mets , 10 radiation treatments
Old 10-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #65
Juls

Andi
Just read this post & wondered if you took all while on Herceptin? When I asked Onc if I could or should take vitamins/ supplements. She was non-committal.
I am on H, P and Femara.
Juls
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #66
Andrea Barnett Budin

Hi Juls, and ALL,

I recurred in August iof '98. I began chemo in Sept of that year. Herceptin (Vitamin H as I like to call it) was fast tracked by the FDA on September 28, 1998. I was sooo lucky. After 2 mnths of Taxotere, doing CTs chest/abd/pelv, I added H. Docs wanted to see if Taxoterror was working. It was.

I had asked to be tested in August upon recurrance throughout my liver, as my husband and I had been keeping on top of all things bc since July of '95 when I was originally dx. I was 80% positive for HER2. That's how they graded back then.

I went to my integrative oncologist in Manhattan in October of '98. He gave me a longgg list of supplements. I researched each one, took notes, started one at a time. Waited 4 days to see what my body had to say, and if all was well, I proceeded to the next on the list. I believe I began with immune system boosters.

When I mentioned to my mainstream docs what I was planning on doing, each and every one balked. They felt it would be best for me to wait till after chemo. That didn't feel right to me. I asked my integrative onc or nutritional oncologist (who also taught meditation and holistic mind body spirit medicine, which felt exactly right to me) and my nut onc as I lovingly call him said, NO, IT'S WHEN YOU'RE ON CHEMOTHERAPY THAT YOU MOST NEED TO BE ON SUPPLEMENTS. Your body is under further attack then.

I (bravely) chose to follow his advice and began my supplements in October of '98. I still believe it was the right call.

I developed shingles in October, which I discovered getting a 4th opinion. Wanting to collect information and ideas from each who were all brilliant but each saw the situation slightly differently. I based my opinions, as the patient whose life we were talking about, on the collection of information I gathered.

The horrid news was that with shingles -- you cannot get chemo. I KNEW I needed the chemo to save my life. I also knew some had shingles for months, even yrs. I was desperate.

I have a book PRESCRIPTION FOR NUTRITIONAL HEALING by Phyliss Baulch, that was recommended to me and I started immediately taking supps for shingles, along with the medication prescribed for it. 10 days later I went to the oncologist.

He smiled and asked me how I was doing. Good, I said. Really? Yup. Well, let me see. I was dressed on the exam table. I lifted my shirt. He walked all around and said, with great surprise, You're right! All the pustules have crusted over and are healed. You can have chemo!

And, I was elated, even though Taxoterror was a ride through hell. I KNEW in the end, I would live!

So long answer to a short question, I know. Sorry. But cancer isn't so simple.

You are in a great place, on this site, with women who are full of experience and wisdom and generous with their advice though respectful.

Please feel free to ask me anything. I am here to help.

Also, please check out Pink's post of AndiBB's article -- that's me. It was posted today as today was the day this article appeared in the Florida Sun Sentinel in Broward and Palm Beach. I hope you find it interesting and inspiring. That would actually make my day!!

Thanks,
Andi

Old 10-16-2015, 04:02 AM   #67
Juls

Thanks Andi.
Saw post by Pink yesterday - Great article and fab photo!!
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:14 PM   #68
Andrea Barnett Budin

I will post my newest updated list tomorrow for those who are interested.

It's a big challenge I know, swallowing all those capsules 2 - 3 X a day, every day. But -- I SWEAR THEY ARE KEEPING ME ALIVE, AND WELL... I believe this is why I am still here...!

It's a major commitment.

I do get most of my supplements from Vitacost.com because they have the biggest variety and the best prices. I have checked around. They deliver free with $50 order and yes that is easy to accrue every month.

I did my month's worth of supps yesterday. JUMBO pill dispensers -- 7 days -- AM -- and -- PM ... And it is so annoying to spend hours doing.

But, as I say, I do love LIFE.

I take this pills every day since October of 1998. And will take them till I die. Which I don't plan on doing any time soon.

I am on the 100 year plan. But only if I can maintain my mind and walk and talk and hug and laugh... Otherwise the deal is off...

HERE'S TO YOUR HEALTH MY SWEET SISTERS...!

Andi

Old 01-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #69
KathyT

I am interested in your updated list, thank you Andi!

infusion.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:56 PM   #70
Andrea Barnett Budin

My updated list is in a new thread --

2016 MY UPDATED SUPPLEMENT LIST a must read.

Just posted it today...