HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-11-2009, 05:02 AM   #41
michka

Re: Good Advice?

Joe there seems to be many cases of women like me who had had a mammogram but finally found a tumor shortly afterwards by themselves. Is it a HER2 characteristic?
Michka

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #42
Kim in CA

Hi Joe,

I found my lump (in the shower) 9 mos. after my last mamogram. I shudder to think how big it would have been had it not been discovered until my next mamogram. It was growing very fast and probably would've metastisized even further, possibly changing the favorable outcome that I've had. I'm even still embarrassed that I didn't find it sooner myself, as it was over 4 cm!

Kim

5/1997 Hi Dose Chemo w/ Stem cell rescue. Spent 4 weeks in isolation ward. Then 6 weeks radiation.

9/2001 widespread mets to liver. 8 mos Taxotere/Herceptin brought me almost to NED. Stop Taxotere & add Femara .

11/2002 liver resection to remove spot that turned out to be necrosis. Officially NED!

7/2003 Tumor markers rising add Xeloda Disastrous reaction, 8 days hospital, but tumor markers came back to normal!

June -Dec 2004 UW Vaccine Trial.

7/2005 MRI single 11mm brain met
8/2005 Gamma Knife.

Brain MRI @3 months NED!

2006-2011 brain/body still NED

8/04/11 Taking Herceptin break, will monitor with tumor markers.

6/20/12 Tumor markers begin to rise. CA15-3 is 31.3 and Her2 Serum is at 17.1 Decide to repeat in one month.

7/23/12 CA15-3 now 49.3
Her2 Serum 26.8

8/6/12 Back on Herceptin
CA15-3 now 76
Her2 Serum now 49

11/7/12 Add weekly Taxotere for 4 cycles

2/2013 Stopped Taxotere added Perjeta. MRI shows approx. 50% reduction liver mets. CA15-3 still elevated @ 55. Will continue on just Herceptin & Perjeta.

November 2014 Continuing on Herceptin, Perjeta, and
Femara indefinitely. Guess I'm NED again, but watching those tumor markers carefully!

Dec. 2015 PET scan reveals mass in perirectal area of abdomen.biopsy confirms. Still Her2+, but no longer ER+. Bye bye Femara

Jan 2016 Begin Kadcyla

March 2016 PET scan shows tumor now barely visible, still NED everywhere else.
2016/2017 continue Kadcyla

November 2017 brain MRI reveals small focus of T2 hyperintensity with possible 4mm enhancing nodule. Short term follow up MRI suggested. Stay tuned...
Kim in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #43
Joe
Webmaster

Michka,

Her2 breast cancer is very agressive and the tumors grow more rapidly than other types of bc.

Regards
Joe

Illegitimi non carborundum

My Album
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:23 PM   #44
michka

Joe, I know HER2 is aggressive although I never read any precise report about it's proliferation. If there exists aggressive types of tumors that are life threatening, then the prevention strategy should be changed. Dr Burstein in Dana Farber, in answer to my question "how come the mammo did not detect it a year ago", answered: " we have to ask GE to make better machines". And nothing about HER2 growing faster than others. Anyhow, it just reinforces how important it is to educate women and the importance of self examination.

12.2010 Mets to liver,Herceptin+Tykerb
03.2011 Liver resection ER+70% PR-
04.2011 Herceptin+Navelbine+750mg Tykerb
06.2011 Liver ned, Met to sternum. Added Zometa 09.2011 Cyberknife for sternum
11.2011 Pet clear. Stop Navelbine, continuing on Hercpetin+Tykerb+Aromasin
02.2012 Mets to lungs, nodes, liver
04.2012 TDM1, Ned in 07.2012
04.2015 Stop TDM1/Kadcyla, still Ned, liver problems
04.2016 Liver mets. Back on Kadcyla
08.2016 Kadcyla stopped working. mets to liver lungs bones
09.2016 Biopsy to liver. no more HER2, still ER+
09.2016 CMF Afinitor/Aromasin/ Xgeva.Met to eye muscle Cyberknife
01.2017 Gemzar/Carboplatin/ Ibrance/Faslodex then Taxotere
02.2017 30 micro mets to brain breathing getting worse and worse
04.2017 Liquid biopsy/CTC indicates HER2 again. Start Herceptin with Halaven
06.2017 all tumors shrunk 60% . more micro mets to brain (1mm mets) no symptoms
michka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #45
Ursula

We don't have mass screenings for women under 50 in Finland. I found the lump by myself at the age of 42.

Ursula

Diagnosed 05/07 at age 42
Ductal Invasive Carsinoma Gr III, Stage IIIB:
Primary tumor 35 mm, secondary 21 mm
Node positive 13/23
Er/Pr negative (15 % /15 %)
Her 2+++
Ki-67 80 %
Mastectomy and node evacuation (rt) 05/07
3 x Taxotere + Herceptin (9 weeks)
3 x CEF
6 x Neulasta during chemos
23 x rads
Celebra for joint and PMS pain
NED
Ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #46
Nancy L

I found mine and so did my sister. We were both stage III and had mammograms less than one yr prior to finding the lump. So you can understand why I feel annual mammograms are not a security blanket.
Nancy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #47
tricia keegan

In Ireland women are only screened from age 50 also so I had no mammo before I found the lump.
It really did seem to appear within days if not weeks, it makes me wonder just how fast a her2+ tumour grows??
Most Dr's still say bc has been growing for years!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #48
kimber

I found mine. A mamo confirmed and found a second tumor!

kim
double mastectomy
4DD AC - 16 weekly Taxol
6 months Herceptin - stopped due to MUGA
35 chest wall rads
Tamoxifen
Lat flap with silicone implant reconstruction on left side due to radiation. "Normal" silicone on right. Finished all reconstruction 6-07!!!
kimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #49
sally

Yes, I also found my own lump about 7-8 months after a routine check from Doc. It had spread to 8 lymphnodes and my liver at that point. Sally
Dx March 2004 HER2+ er/pr+ 8/16 + lymphnodes mets to the liver Stage IV / 6 cycles of TCH and 33 rads . NED Continued Herceptin 3 years w/ Femara. Tumor markers start to rise in Jan of 2007 and swiched to Tamoxifen. August of 2007 found more mets to liver and lymphnodes outside of liver. Went on Tykerb/Xeleoda--spots on liver gone found large mass between intestines. March 2008 started TCH. Stopped Carboplatin due to allergy. Still on Taxotere and Herceptin. Nov 2008 mass is gone. 3 new spot on liver and one on spine. Radiation on spine. tykerb/gemzar for liver mets. PET in April 09 showed shrinkage still a little activity, continue tykerb/gemzar until Aug 09. PET showed new spot on my spine more on my liver and a bunch of enlarged lymphnodes in upper chest. Start Adriamycin Sep 09. more radiation on spine . April 2010- Still on Adriamycin 3wks on 1 wk off and zometa every 28 days. PET -May 2010 showed progression. Starting Herceptin/Navelbine on June '10
sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #50
cafe1084

I found my lump also and had I not, it may have been found too late. I was only 35, low risk, and no recommendations for an annual mammo because of these reasons. I say in 10 years they do another study, only they poll women who took them seriously and stopped doing monthly BSE's and find out how many did NOT find their own breast cancers. Of course, the damage is done and they can't take it back and say "OOPS! We may have been wrong."

I thank God daily I had the good sense to check mine. From the day I was diagnosed I have told everyone, from the gas station clerks, to co-workers, to random announcements at several meetings, to do BSE's. Yes, some of them think I am crazy (or stupid), but if I can enlighten that one woman out of 8 who will get breast cancer, I feel like I have done something spectacular from the horror that was my breast cancer experience.
cafe1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #51
whatz

Found mine investigating a dull ache in breast. Mamogram six month earlier was clear.
6/09 Adriamycin + Cytoxan 4 treatments (every 3 weeks) followed by Taxol + Herceptin, 1 treatment weekly for 12 weeks, followed by Herceptin for 40 weeks
MRI Brain 4/10 clear
CT Body 4/10 clear
PET Body 2/11 clear
whatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #52
hutchibk

I forwarded Joe's/our concern over this to the Feel Your Boobies Foundation on Facebook...

Here is their initial response today to my post: "...well, this used to trouble us too -- but what they are actually say is that "feeling your boobies" is just as effective as the step by step process suggested in the Breast Self Exam...meaning that most women who find their lumps are just doing daily routine things....NOT breast self-exams.

Having said that, i feel that this research has been promoted in a way that makes it seem like it's not important at all to feel your boobies -- when actually what it should be promoting is basic breast awareness and being proactive about knowing your body."

This is not the first they had heard of it and here is an essay written in Jan 2009 by Leigh Hurst, Feel Your Boobies Founder/President:

Recently there has been a lot of press questioning the effectiveness of the breast self-exam (or BSE). The stir began when the analysis of a rather large study was released and stated that the research showed there was no benefit to performing a BSE, and, in fact, that in some cases there was increased harm due to unnecessary biopsies on non-cancerous lumps.

Wow – are you kidding me? When I read this, I initially saw red and thought – how can this be?? A BSE is what saved my life. How can anyone say that we shouldn’t be doing them and why would we discourage proactive habits by so publicly proclaiming them ineffective? And then I took a deep breath, regained my composure, and poked around to understand this a bit more.

As it turns out, the study wasn’t actually saying that BSE’s were ineffective – it was saying that BSE’s, the formal procedure known as a “breast self-exam”, is no more effective than basic breast awareness. It reflected that those women who were simply “feeling their boobies” were just as likely to find a lump as women who were doing formal BSE’s. It also mentioned the idea that many women who find their own lump say that they found it through BSE’s when actually many of them were really just “feeling their boobies.”

And so, my heart rate decreased, my face regained its natural coloring and my mind became peaceful again. After all, my personal experience actually parallels that of the findings publicized from this study. I was not doing a BSE when I found my lump, though, for lack of a better term, I might have labeled it as such initially. In reality, I was simply showering and getting dressed, and, through the course of my daily routine, noticed a change because I knew what was normal for me. I was “feeling my boobies”, which is the whole reason Feel Your Boobies ® (FYB) began. My goal was to repackage the idea of BSE’s using language that makes it feel less like a formal process and more like something you already do.

For those who read this recent press, please don’t confuse the research findings for promoting passivity because that’s far from what was said. The point was whether you breast self-exam (BSE) or “feel your boobies” (FYB), you’re just as likely to find a lump. So, while some of you gals may continue to BSE and others, like me, may prefer FYB, the important thing is that you do it. Are you doing it?

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #53
DarleneM

Mine was actually discovered by my husband. I was 28 and had never had previous lumps or mammos. I'm all for self exams, especially for young women.
Darlene
Actual tumor 4-5 cm, positive margins. Nodes negative.
4-7-09 Re-excision, more positive margins
4-21-09 Right Mastectomy
5-18-09 TCH every 3 weeks
7-24-09 Chemo finished, continue Herceptin
12-8-09 PET Scan - NED!!
Jan.2010 8 months Herceptin done
No rads
DarleneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #54
Sandra in GA

I wish I had continued the regular self breast exams I did when I was younger. I also wish I had known that 80-85% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have NO family history! I had become complacent even though I did have my yearly momograms. I found my 3 cm lump 10 and 1/2 months after my last mamo. There was a burning sensation that night in my left breast and when I ran my hand over my breast I very easily found the lump.

If only I had been more aware, this devil could have been found MUCH earlier!
Chemo: A/C; Taxol/Herceptin/Tykerb; phase II study at Mayo adding Tykerb for early stage
Radiation: 25 rads
Vaccine: Walter Reed GP2/AE37 vaccine study ~ last booster 9/17/2012
Sandra in GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #55
Debbie L.

Joe and all,

This is not "advice". This is evidence. Saying that BSE is not a useful tool is not saying that there's no value in finding our breast cancer. The value in finding our breast cancer is that treatment works (saves lives) for some of us. Many of us found our breast cancer by some kind of palpation. That is not the same as saying that formal BSE makes a difference to survival from a breast cancer diagnosis. It does NOT make a difference - at least two excellent studies say that. FINDING a breast cancer is not the same as SURVIVING a breast cancer, alas.

As many in this thread will attest to - finding their breast cancer did not r/t to saving their life. If someone has stage IV breast cancer, the hard news is that they are likely to die of that disease. The good news is, of course, that they are likely to live many good years WITH that diagnosis. But the hard truth, that is often not recognized in the October hype, is that there is no cure for stage IV breast cancer.

It gives me no pleasure to say that. I am not trying to stir up controversy. I am trying to stir up interest in promoting more research so that more lives can be saved. If we buy into the complacency and easy message of "early detection" (which is becoming more and more a misnomer, as we learn that it's much more about the biology of the cancer than about the SIZE or even perhaps the SPREAD (as far as axillary nodes)) of the cancer, we are settling for status quo. Status quo is that many of our members are DYING, of breast cancer. They are dying because we do not (yet) know enough to prevent these deaths. We would of course first choose to prevent these diagnoses - to somehow learn how to prevent the development of breast cancer altogether. That's probably the most unrealistic goal - cancer is part of life, and would occur occasionally in even the most sterile and environmentally pristine world. But we can certainly reduce the incidence by cleaning up our world, and learning more about best-practice lifestyles.

Then there's diagnosis and treatment. We are making small steps toward personalized and less-toxic treatment but we are so far from really achieving that goal. Martine Piccart-Gebhart's opening address at ASCO/Breast last Thursday so clearly assessed where we are with "individualized" or "personalized" treatment. NOT THERE YET. She advised "modesty" before we make that claim. She used HER2 as her example - we claim it's a marker for Herceptin yet only 1/2 of those who receive Herceptin benefit from it.

No one is saying that it's not of some benefit to find a breast cancer tumor and begin treatment. But if you were a lay person listening to the October hype, you'd assume that between BSE (which has NEVER been shown to improve survival, despite good studies) and mammography (still an area of great controversy as to its value) breast cancer is under control. We on this list KNOW that it's not under control. If it were, we would not be hearing stories like Marie and Ed's, or any of our stage IV sisters who struggle to live with metastatic cancer. We would not be hearing from "early" diagnosed people who struggle daily with the great unknown - the threat of recurrence.

I am immensely grateful that so many are living so long and so well, with a stage IV diagnosis. But I am so sad that we do lose some of these valiant people. Aren't you sad? Aren't you a little angry? Don't you want it to be better, for all of us?

If you want it to be better, then you have to stop looking at it through your own personal lens. It's NOT about "I found my breast cancer yada yada yada". It's about breast cancer still kills people. Until we can say that it doesn't, we need to push for better research and less hype. Can't you see that the pinkwashing of October is an attempt to jolly-up the "state of breast cancer"? Can't you see that the hype of October leads the public to believe that it's all under control and that we survivors are a wonderful, strong, vibrant group of people who are happy and thriving? Well, yes -- for the most part we ARE that. But we are also a group of survivors who face the uncertainty of our future, who suffer the losses of our peers, and who know that for us and for others -- BSE did not save our lives.

FINDING a breast cancer does not (alas, yet) equate with SAVING a life. The pinkwashing of October would have you believe that it does. NBCC is working to evaluate the evidence, and pushing to find better answers. I support them in that effort. If it were not for NBCC, we might not have Herceptin. I cannot believe that they are not better supported on this Herceptin-worshiping list.

I want fewer people to die of breast cancer and if I have to be a wet blanket here, to do that - well I will keep harping.

Warm and curmudgeonly regards,
Debbie Laxague
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP's B-31 adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin, inducing a severe case of Herceptin-envy): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Raging infection of entire chest after small revision of mastectomy scar after completing tx (significance unknown). Arimidex for two years, stopped after second pathology opinion.
2017: Mild and manageable lymphedema and some cognitive issues.
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:53 PM   #56
StephN

Dear Debbie -
You are so right on many counts. Thanks for the update from the ASCO/Breast meeting.

I think what many of us (including Joe) are reacting to is the following statement cited by Joe:

"In reality, there is no scientific evidence to prove this is true. In fact, the studies that have been done show an increase in potential harm from monthly, regimented BSE including elevated anxiety, more frequent physician visits and unnecessary biopsies of benign lumps."

Then there is the exhortation at the end of the bit to "get out of the shower" and try to make a difference in other ways.

The fact that they are ending their program of printing materials to foster self exams IS self indulgent and reactionary. Perhaps it does lead to a lot of unnecessary testing, BUT if you are a person who has breast cancer - in my mind there is no test that is unnecessary whether it confirms or rules out a cancer.

I did not do a self exam on the dot each month - maybe every 3 months, but I was familiar with my own breasts from having done that.

If we are not proactive and wait 5 years or more for a mammogram (in the case of women under the age of 45 or 50), what alternative to they have?

Marching around with signs like uppitty women will not find those cancers.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.

Last edited by StephN; 10-13-2009 at 10:55 AM..
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #57
hutchibk

Re-read this too (that I posted earlier):

Jan 2009 by Leigh Hurst, Feel Your Boobies Founder/President:

Recently there has been a lot of press questioning the effectiveness of the breast self-exam (or BSE). The stir began when the analysis of a rather large study was released and stated that the research showed there was no benefit to performing a BSE, and, in fact, that in some cases there was increased harm due to unnecessary biopsies on non-cancerous lumps.

Wow – are you kidding me? When I read this, I initially saw red and thought – how can this be?? A BSE is what saved my life. How can anyone say that we shouldn’t be doing them and why would we discourage proactive habits by so publicly proclaiming them ineffective? And then I took a deep breath, regained my composure, and poked around to understand this a bit more.

As it turns out, the study wasn’t actually saying that BSE’s were ineffective – it was saying that BSE’s, the formal procedure known as a “breast self-exam”, is no more effective than basic breast awareness. It reflected that those women who were simply “feeling their boobies” were just as likely to find a lump as women who were doing formal BSE’s. It also mentioned the idea that many women who find their own lump say that they found it through BSE’s when actually many of them were really just “feeling their boobies.”

And so, my heart rate decreased, my face regained its natural coloring and my mind became peaceful again. After all, my personal experience actually parallels that of the findings publicized from this study. I was not doing a BSE when I found my lump, though, for lack of a better term, I might have labeled it as such initially. In reality, I was simply showering and getting dressed, and, through the course of my daily routine, noticed a change because I knew what was normal for me. I was “feeling my boobies”, which is the whole reason Feel Your Boobies ® (FYB) began. My goal was to repackage the idea of BSE’s using language that makes it feel less like a formal process and more like something you already do.

For those who read this recent press, please don’t confuse the research findings for promoting passivity because that’s far from what was said. The point was whether you breast self-exam (BSE) or “feel your boobies” (FYB), you’re just as likely to find a lump. So, while some of you gals may continue to BSE and others, like me, may prefer FYB, the important thing is that you do it. Are you doing it?

I think that DL is correct on so many levels... however, there has to be a much more appealing and visionary way to promote the "new" info. I think the NBCC has done themselves and the bc community a great disservice by proposing the info in such a manner...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #58
jones7676

Location: I live in Christmas, MI - located on the shores of Lake Superior.

I did monthly exams and found mine while on vacation in Washington D.C. (doing my monthly exam in the shower)

10/03 Radical Mastectomy 3 cm tumor - 1/17 Nodes Stage II B, Her 2 +++ ER-/PR- 11/03 4 AC 4 Taxol 12/05 Stage IV - Lung met , Bone mets - Carbo, Taxotere, Herceptin 9/06 - 2 cm brain tumor 10/06 - Tumor removal surgery - Herceptin Halted 12/06 gamma knife tumor base.1/07 Navelbine/Herceptin 4/07 Rads to R femur 5/07 Stereotactic - new 2 cm brain tumor 4/07 Start Xeloda 5/07 Tykerb added 7/07 Brain MRI clean 10/07 .055 cm brain met found. 12/07 Stereotactic -1 cm brain tumor Start Tykerb 11/07 Abraxane/Herceptin 5/08 Cisplatin, Gemcitabine/Herceptin 6/08 Stereotactic to 1cm 9/08 Stereotactic repeat (growth). 11/08 Pet Scan Good but new tiny met on L lung/dead Brain surgery (no cancer cells found/scar tissue) 1/09 Chemo restarted 2/09 Pet Scan Bad - R larger very active/active L active lymph nodes both sides of chest MRI- mets slight increase 2/09 Start Doxil/Tykerb Treatment
jones7676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #59
Colleen007

Had a baseline mammogram at 35 (normal) and found my own lump when I was 38 and pregnant with my daughter...I had not had any other mammograms as they weren't recommended until age 40. I was not doing a BSE. I rolled over in bed and my hand brushed against the lump.
ER-, PR-, HER2+
Taxol/Herceptin/Zometa started Dec-2005. 11 cycles of Taxol.
Sept-2006: PET/CT scan of mets to liver, spine and femurs - Stable. Activity in R breast & mediastinum (not seen in prior scans).
Navelbine (3 wks on/1 wk off) as of Oct--2006 & continued Herceptin (every 3 wks) & Zometa (every 6 wks)
Jan-2007: PET/CT Scan - Stable. Continued Nav. through March-2007, then Herc./Zom. only after that.
June-2007: PET/CT Scan - activity in mediastinum. Back on Navelbine as of July-2007.
Scanned Quarterly since Oct-2007 - a few small scares, but otherwise stable due to continuing weekly Navelbine, Herceptin and Quarterly Zometa.
Colleen007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #60
Ora

I also discovered my lump myself
Lumpectomy 8-4-05, 2cm tumor, 3 nodes neg, Completed 4 A/C, 4 taxol, decadron (weekly due to steriod reaction) finished 4-17-06
Finished 33 rads 6-5-06, Femara, Started Herceptin 6-22-06
Effexor for hot flashes, Taken off Herceptin Feb 2007 due to low LVEF (44 by Echo) Coreg & Lisinopril replaced bp meds - April Echo back up to 55 Resumed Herceptin 5-21-07.
2010: almost 5 YRS NED!!! Still taking Femara & Coreg. Due to all the CT scans, abdominal aneurysm found & repaired. Something good came out of having cancer.
2013 7+ years NED. Still on Femara
Ora is offline   Reply With Quote