HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-03-2006, 05:38 AM   #101
madubois63

http://www.marrow.org/index.html

If you have a history of pre-cancerous cells, you will be able to register to become a potential volunteer donor. If you have had cured, local skin cancer (basal cell or squamous cell), you are also able to register. Persons who have healed cervical cancer in situ, breast cancer in situ, or bladder cancer in situ are also able to register. (In situ cancer is diagnosed at a very early stage and is specifically called "in situ.") If you have had any other form of cancer, including melanoma, you are not eligible to become a volunteer donor - no matter the length of time since your treatment or recovery.

So many have asked...Thank you!!!! I woke up this morning and thought it was Monday (admitting day)...Said a few explanatives then realized - yeah it's Saturday. I took my son to the SAT (ugh for him). I was just changing his diaper....and now, we are prepping for college.
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:58 AM   #102
TriciaK

Dear Maryanne, Just want to remind you again that you are in my thoughts and prayers and will be especially all next week. We love you and expect a miracle for you! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:25 AM   #103
pattyz

Dearest MaryAnn.........

If spirit and mindset have ANYTHING to do with dealing with this latest "health test", you will definitely come in with an all 'A' report. And that's a fact.

I hope and pray that all the people who will be coming to attend you will be of the most compassionate nature, with humor of a loving kind. And that the have very receptive minds/ears to LISTEN to what you say...

With deeply felt respect, for an amazing woman,
pattyz
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:53 AM   #104
rinaina

Maryanne I admire your strength. Can't believe you took your son to his SAT exam. It is true how fast their childhood goes. Mine are now 27 and 24 and out of the house. Don't know how that happened so quickly. Still helping financially with the 24 yr old law student though, so one off our books,(so to speak), are they ever really completely off? Keep your chin up and only positive thoughts. If anyone can beat this it is you. As always you are in my prayers.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:40 PM   #105
RhondaH

Interesting article

http://www.asco.org/portal/site/ASCO...reutersid=4919

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #106
MCS

I'm sorry to hear about your news. You are a very positive person. Keep it up. It's a fight.

My thoughts are with you

Maria
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:42 PM   #107
Patricia

Dear Maryann,

I am so sorry. I was so devastated to hear your news - as my daughter (who also took SATs this spring) says 'this disease SUCKS!' Please know that we are all with you, thinking of you, praying for you and are your sisters in this battle. And battle it is - go AMAZON!!

Please keep us posted. Let us know how we can help you - we are are all here for each other and we want to support you.

Gentle Hugs!
Patricia
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:30 PM   #108
heblaj01

Maryann,

Here is a piece of news which may be usefull to you:
Reported June 15, 2006
Two New Drugs Beat Leukemia, Too

(Ivanhoe Newswire) -- Most people with chronic myeloid leukemia (CML) respond well to the breakthrough drug Gleevec, with 93 percent still doing well five years after treatment.

Now there's new hope for the minority of patients whose cancer can't be cured by the drug. Researchers publishing two new papers report promising results for the drugs dasatinib and nilotinib (also known as AMN107).

In the dasatinib study, conducted among 84 patients who had developed a resistance to Gleevec, 68 responded favorably to the treatment. The nilotinib study involved 119 patients with either CML or another form of leukemia known as acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL), all of whom were also resistant to Gleevec. The drug improved outcomes in all of the CML patients, with 11 out of 12 of those with the chronic form of the condition experiencing a complete remission of the disease. It proved less effective, however, in the ALL patients, with only 2 of 13 responding.

Dasatinib and nilotinib caused relatively few side effects in the studies, although nilotinib was linked to heart problems in a few patients in that study, a result researchers note will call for careful monitoring of patients.

The authors of both studies believe these new drugs will have an important role to play in treating CML and may one day even replace Gleevec as the standard treatment. For now, however, they plan additional studies to take a closer look at long term effects of the drugs to ensure their safety for a wider range of patients.

SOURCE: New England Journal of Medicine, 2006;354:2531-1541, 2542-2551
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/354/24/2531
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/short/354/24/2542

Good luck
heblaj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:25 AM   #109
Lisa

Sometimes this all seems too much to bear. But we've seen your strength. Thank you for sharing your news so we all can say extra prayers for you.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 08:48 PM   #110
Karen t

Dear Maryann,

Just read your posts and want you to add my name to the long list of people who care about you. As for your doctor who wants you to let him be the doctor, this is a cooperative effort and you – as the person who has the most at stake – are equally entitled (if not more so) to weigh in with your questions and views. And, it's ok in this process, for your doctor to wear more than one hat, too, e.g., "understanding human." It's a good thing! ^,^

Prayers and hugs,
Karen
Karen t is offline   Reply With Quote