HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 07-17-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
Nora B.

lingering side effects after finishing herceptin

i just posted in the her2group forum, but realized maybe i should have posted it here - anyone out there still experiencing effects of herceptin months after ending treatment? i'd appreciate any feedback. i have come to totally rely on all the great info on this website to calm me down when i start panicking... (like - "are those lingering pains from the herceptin or is it bone mets?")
sorry if i seems like i'm posting this everywhere, i really don't know much about using these forums and the appropriate place to post, i'm usually just a lurker.
nora
Nora B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
MAB1943

hi I am on herceptin alone @ 3 wk intervals/now until March been on it since june
what side effects are you having. ? No one I know is on herceptin alone.

Don't know if problems I am having are from the herceptin or from something else. Any help would be appreciated. Mary
MAB1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
Senorina

Hello,
I'm also new to this forum and really like it. Anyway, I just completed Herceptin. I wasn't on anything else. I started Herceptin last September after completing chemo (A/C).

It's been over a month, and I still experience nasal congestion, but I notice it getting better. I still get tired, but I know that will get better. For some strange reason, I've been getting foot cramps and don't know if they are lingering effects from chemo or Herceptin? Anyone getting foot cramps? The last couple of months I've been getting a rash on my left arm. I don't know why.
Senorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
cath52

Hi,
I was on Herceptin from Aug.06 to July 07. My side effects were exaustion, my nose ran like sugar-water, I had the aches and pains others complained about, and every time the weather changed I felt like I had a sinus infection. Still have all of that and now that treatment is over I've had strange pains in my right leg and swelling on my inside calf right below the knee. My leg is cold where the swelling is. I don't know if that has anything to do with the drugs or not. The Dr. didn't seem to feel it was.
cath52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
MAB1943

I too have the nose running constantly and I have constant sinus infections.
I also have foot spasms.
No swelling of legs or feet, but I would look into that if I were you. If you didn't have it before you were on the herceptin, then your doctor s hould not dismiss it.
MAB1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
helichrysum

Re: lingering side effects after finishing herceptin

Hi I keep getting rashes. 3 months out from Herceptin alone. Small areas.
helichrysum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
rhondalea

All the typical side-effects passed very quickly for me--four months out, they were gone.

The lingering side-effect seems to be related more to the benzyl alcohol used to mix the herceptin. I had mild-to-moderate brain effects from surgical anesthesia and chemo, but the severe brain damage began with Herceptin and got worse with each infusion. After I was done, the symptoms continued to worsen, until I was virtually non-functional. Benzyl alcohol has a documented deleterious effect on cholingeric receptors, and apparently some of us are extra susceptible.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1725728

My endo prescribed Aricept (donepezil) which is a cholinesterase inhibitor used to treat Alzheimer's dementia. It has gone a long way toward healing my brain (except I had a TDaP booster a couple of weeks ago, and one of the "inert" ingredients has a similar effect which has wonked me hard, albeit, not so hard as the benzyl alcohol).

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
donocco

As far as foot cramps its possible Quinine at bedtime might be valuable. At one time you could buy Quinine 325mg over the counter. You can't anymore. There is a prescription Quinine but now its very expensive and, as the indications are for malaria, I doubt insurance will cover it. When I had my own pharmacy I used to sell Quinine Sulfate 325mg for a few dollars a hundred
The muscle cramps Quinine was very effective for were the night and morning leg cramps seen after middle age.
The herceptin foot cramps may be very different but the
relaxing effect on quinine is general. Quinine, rarely, has caused blood dyscrasias (I think thrombocytopenia) and this is why it was removed from the OTC list. It was an over the counter drug for decades.

Maybe it would be worth it to have the doctor write out a prescription for a few tablets of Quinine and just buy them. See if Quinine is effective. If a full tablet is effective, try a half a tablet or even 1/4 tablet. Ive heard rumours that even the amount of Quinine in tonic water has helped the ordinary leg craps. It may be rumour. Quinine is the bitterest substance known and the bitter taste can be detected in dilutions as low as 1:100,000 if my memory is correct.

I hope this proves to be of some help

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Becky

Remember that Herceptin lingers in the body for quite awhile. It has a 25 day half life so in 25 days, half is gone but half is still there. And so on and so on. After 50 days, 25% of it is still there. So the nasal conjestion is logical because its still there for quite awhile. Also, fatigue is a problem not just from Herceptin but also emotional fatigue. You just don't realize the toll that takes on all of us. One day at a time.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
lkc Gumby

I HAD VERY BAD LOWER LEG PAINS ESP. AT NIGHT. IT LASTED FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS. I WOULD WRAP MY LEGS AROUND MY DH LEGS ( AS FOR SOME REASON HE SEEMS TO RADIATE HEAT) AND THAT ACTUALLY HELPED AND THEN I COULD SLEEP. Weird, but it worked for me!

Dxed Stage IIIC May 05, 12 pos nodes
er/pr -neg,Her -pos
LVI
Right partial mast & partial axillary dissection-June14,2005
Right modified mast-no clear margins- June 30, 2005
DD AC x4
Taxotere X4 with Herceptin
Rads x 35( 5 fields )
Left prophylactive mast( atypia & hyperplasia found ),
put on Tamoxifen x 1 yr; D/ced due to endometrial thickening
bilateral recon (saline implants)May 06
Nipple recon July 06
metformin 2010
removal of implants due to severe encapsulation, insertion of gummies 2013
Reclast Q yr
NED!!!
lkc Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #11
CLD14

I have had a metallic taste that really seemed to become worse
after I was on Herceptin only,since Jan. 14 - Oct 14...... began Arimidex Aug. 14 . ago and boy this taste is not just when I am eating, but there always.
it is beginning to wear on me cause anxiety. Dr. said well you finished herceptin Oct 9...this could still be lingering, it will take time to go away. I hope so...because the thought of having to live w/ this an eating/has been the cause of my anxiety lately...like loss of Hope.
CLD14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #12
Lani

By starting a separate thread from the Please list your side effects on herceptin, real and imagined, you have made it harder for, someday, someone to try to utilize the info for some "post marketing analysis" which might help them discover side effects which have not made it on the radar (or the in package warnings) as well as trying to see if there are tests to determine which people might have those effects so they might not given those persons herceptin (eg pertuzumab+lapatinib or other her2 blocker only) or a drug which might block those effects.

I know I AM A BIT naive, in that the drug companies seem to be ignoring their responsibility under fda approval to carry out this marketing as there is no immediate cost penalty for not doing so, and perhaps also as to whether researchers will find the data "quality" is good enough to get them to do more research/statistics utilizing it.

I encourage you all to add your side effects to the one master SIDE EFFECT A THREAD AS WELL AS ASKING YOUR QUESTION SEPARATELY IF YOU THINK IT NEEDS MORE ATTENTION.

ALSO many keep saying, I was only on herceptin, but then say they had chemo.

side effects can take time to develop (years in the case of radiation therapy)
so specifying the entire course of treatment and when they were received as well as whether the tumor was er+ or er- and whether antihormonals and what type were taken(AND IF ER- WHETHER CHEMO SENT ONE INTO PERMANENT PREMATURE MENLOPAUSE) MAY help identify whether the side effext (joint stiffness) may more likely be due to an AI than herceptin.

As few receive herceptin only without chemo or antihormonalss, it makes it hard to dissect out herceptin's side effects.

Thanks everyone for adding to the post however!!!!!!!!!!
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #13
rhondalea

You know me, Lani--I'll bitch about benzyl alcohol in any thread where there's even the teensiest possibility it might be relevant.

But yeah, agreed. It's important to keep the information in that thread, along with all the treatment details. Too bad we weren't keeping it in chart form. We might've noticed a pattern by now.

3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
Old 01-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #14

It is possible to merge these two threads under the original.

For those of you who have posted, please let me know your thoughts on merging.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #15
rhondalea

I vote yes for merging.

Edited to add: ...but it should probably be up to Nora B., because it's her thread.

6/19/12 MUGA 61%
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
Old 01-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #16
Dakini52

Something that I found very interesting is that while I was on chemo the arthritis symptoms I had prior to the treatment had gone away. I wasn't really aware of it until I went off treatment and the pain came back but more intense. I asked my onc about it and he said the chemo is sometimes used to treat severe arthritis and that when the chemo is stopped the arthritis will often come back at a more intense level. I have certainly discovered that this is true for me.
Diagnosed June, 2006 HER2+++, ER- PR-, Grade 3, Stage IIB. Modified radical mastectomy, radiation, chemo, Herceptin, Tykerb 1 year. [*]In remission until 2/2010. Small tumor detected on chest wall during routine scan. 2/2010 surgery to remove tumor, started Herceptin/Tykerb, follow up radiation. [*]12/26/2010 - Off Tykerb due to allergic reaction[*]12/16/2014 - Have continued on Herception for almost 5 years now and remain NED. Discussion with onc re adding Perjeta to the Herceptin as another way of preventing recurrence. Still in discussion phase. 12/26/14 Onc applying for approval for Perjeta.
Perjeta approved and I received one infusion. It had an immediate impact to my lungs and I experienced difficulty breathing so.....I'm going to be sticking with just Herceptin. Still looking for a good vaccine program to enroll in.

Debbie K
Dakini52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:03 AM   #17
CLD14

Ok Lani...I understand your point....sorry....where would I post my question? and maybe have some input from someone.
Thank you, Cindy
Old 01-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #18
Tntblonde

Ok so I'm new to this site, so I hope this is the right place to ask. I had ACT therapy along with nulasta. 30 days of radiation, Now I'm on tamoxifen daily and herceptin every 3 weeks. I just finished my 8th infusion. I thought my energy level had improved dramatically from the days of ACT but suddenly I'm getting tired again, not as bad but still tired. Also leg cramps seem to be rearing again and diarrhea. My question is has anyone noticed these types of symptoms progressively with herceptin? I didn't notice them the first couple of infusions
Tntblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #19
CLD14

hi tntblonde
the fatigue built w/ me...I completed my year of Herceptin just this past Oct.
I went to PT in the spring....so that was about 6 mos. into it.... and got started doing some simple exercises at home to help my stamina.
I didnt have the diarrhea...and only once in a while leg cramp.
Cindy
Old 01-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #20
Lucy

Tntblonde - I'm having a similar experience. I'm taking anastrazole instead of tamoxifen and I'm told that's the issue - not the herceptin. I believe it because I delayed taking the anastrazole, in part, because so many of the possible side effects of the drug were what I had experienced with the chemo and I wanted to know if it was lingering side effects from the chemo or from the new drug. I got herceptin alone for 3 months before I started taking the anastrazole and I was doing pretty darned good during that time. I would ask your doctor if the tamoxifen could be what's causing your side effects. I would assume they would be similar to anastrazole but I don't know that for certain.
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote