HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2004, 03:01 AM   #1
Christine MH

[URL=http://www.mabcie.com/November_16,_2004_breast_cancer.html]

"Study Finds HER2-positive Breast Cancer Invades Organs Due To Fatal Chemical Attraction"

"Researchers at The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center have solved the mystery of why an aggressive form of HER2-positive breast cancer travels readily to a few key organs - lungs, liver and bone - where it then establishes new tumors."

The research shows that metastatic HER2 BC cells have too many CXCR4 receptors and, as a result, tend to migrate to certain organs that produce an attracting substance. Efforts are underway to produce a drug that will block CXCR4.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:36 PM   #2
michele u

Christine
Wow, this article was very encouraging! I know that md anderson is doing alot of research now on HER2 breast cancer. The bad thing is that they will not give me an appt!! I tried twice. I wanted to become a pt there so if any of these new things go to a trial, i could get in it. So frustrating! Where do you go looking for all these new studies? I saw this one was in Cancer Cell. Do you look at others too?
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 02:28 AM   #3
Christine MH

Hi Michele,

I use Lexis-Nexis, a huge database of newspaper and magazine articles, a great deal for work and about once a week run a search to see if there are any news stories about breakthroughs on Her2+ breast cancer. Seeing news of breakthroughs helps me cope and sorting through the articles takes half an hour at most.

Since not everyone has access to lexis-nexis, I take a string of text from any relevant article I find in the database and run it through google to find something everyone can access. The whole process takes less than an hour a week.

I am glad that you enjoyed the article and happy that I don't have to work half as hard as you imagined to find things to post!

Take care,

Christine
Old 12-08-2004, 03:22 PM   #4
mamacze

Christine!
Ditto, this is a very interesting article! Thank you for sharing; every dose of hope is a real gift!
Kim from CT