HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2006, 03:42 PM   #1
concerned

Cross post--what do I ask

I will be taking a loved one to a second opinion tomorrow and am at a loss for intelligent questions to ask. She is stage 1 Her2+, grade 3--the plan is chemo for 12 weeks, 6 weeks of raditation and herceptin for a year once chemo is finished. What would you recommend? Since I waited til the last minute, I thought I'd try both places. Thanks.
concerned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
rinaina

I am also stage I grade 3 her2+. Is your friend ER/PR negative or positive and were her nodes negative or positive? The answers to these questions can make a difference in treatment. I was node negative and er/pr negative. I had 12 weeks of AC and 6 1/2 weeks of radiation. The last nine radiation treatments were what they call a booster directly to the site of the tumor. I started herceptin in early September and will continue if all goes well for a year. I wish your friend the best. Once she is done with chemo the rest is easy.
AC 4 dense doses
34 radiation treatments including booster doses
receiving herceptin every 3 weeks since late August 2006 for 12 months
rinaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
concerned

Er/PR-, nodes negative...your plan sounds just like hers. Just looking for the miracle drug/idea/plan, I guess. Thanks.
concerned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
Moni

Er/pr

quick question - I'm trying to go through my sis-in-law's doc reports here but it only gives me a percentage next to ER and PR. How do I know its positive or negative?

Moni
Moni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
Hopeful

Moni, the percentage next to the ER and PR shows the percentage of cells that test positive for the receptor. There seems to be a lack of consensus among various laboratories as to what percentage of cells has to test positive for the result to be called "positive." Some places say anything over 1% is positive and others say 10% is the cut off point and I have seen as high as 20%. Knowing the relative number of the cells that stained positive gives you more information than a blanket "positive" or "negative;" the onc can make more refined treatment choices with the level of detail you are looking at. Hope this was helpful. Best of luck to your sister-in-law.

Hopeful
Hopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
Moni

Thank you for your input hopeful!

I'm actually hopeful to find the right oncologist for her, obviously right now after the mastectomy she's been left alone with no treatment plan which makes me furious over here. Not much I can do but whatever I can do from here I will do.

Good luck to you,
Moni
Moni is offline   Reply With Quote