HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Vic

Post My dentist suggested I contact this researcher before using Zometa

Here's an article on a dental research from University of So. Cal. (USC) whom my dentist wanted me to contact before using Zometa. The "half-life" issue does concern me. Any problems with some of you out there? Realistically, it seems that many of you have been just fine, and I'm going to write Dr. Sedghizadeh and ask him if the safety factor is reduced once infusions stop or if there is a lingering concern, which seems to be the focus of this article. I pasted this in case some of you didn't want to click on the link, but if you prefer a better format, the link is included here.

Vicki

http://www.usc.edu/hsc/dental/update...hNecrosis.html

SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY CLINIC DATA LINKS ORAL BISPHOSPHONATES TO INCREASED JAW NECROSIS RISK
USCSD study is among the first to acknowledge correlation between the common medications and jawbone death.

1/01/09
By Beth Dunham
Even short-term use of common oral osteoporosis drugs may leave the jaw vulnerable to devastating necrosis, according to a new USC School of Dentistry study appearing in the January 1 Journal of the American Dental Association (JADA).
“Oral Bisphosphonate Use and the Prevalence of Osteonecrosis of the Jaw: An Institutional Inquiry” is the first large institutional study in the U.S. to investigate the relationship between oral bisphosphonate use and jaw bone death, said principal investigator Parish Sedghizadeh, assistant professor of clinical dentistry with the USC School of Dentistry.
After controlling for referral bias and other patient health factors, nine of 208 School of Dentistry patients who take or have taken Fosamax for any length of time were diagnosed with osteonecrosis of the jaw (ONJ). The study’s results are in contrast to drug makers’ prior assertions that bisphosphonate-related ONJ risk is only noticeable with intravenous use of the drugs, not oral usage, Sedghizadeh said.
“We’ve been told that the risk with oral bisphosphonates is negligible, but four percent is not negligible,” he said.
Most doctors who have prescribed bisphosphonates have not told patients about any oral health risks associated with the use of the drugs, despite even short-term usage posing a risk due to the drug’s tenacious 10-year half-life in bone tissue. Lydia Macwilliams of Los Angeles said no one told her about the risk posed by her three years of Fosamax usage until she became a patient of Sedghizadeh at the School of Dentistry.
“I was surprised,” she said. “My doctor who prescribed the Fosamax didn’t tell me about any possible problems with my teeth.”
Macwilliams was especially at risk for complications because she was to have three teeth extracted. The infection is a biofilm bacterial process, meaning that the bacteria infecting the mouth and jaw tissues reside within a slimy matrix that protects the bacteria from many conventional antibiotic treatments, and bisphosphonate use may make the infection more aggressive in adhering to the jaw, Sedghizadeh said. The danger is especially pronounced with procedures that directly expose the jaw bone, such as tooth extractions and other oral surgery.
After her extractions, two of the three extraction sites had difficulty healing due to infection, Macwilliams said. Luckily, with treatment as well as the rigorous oral hygiene regimen that USC dentists developed especially for patients with a history of bisphosphonate usage, the remaining sites slowly but fully healed.
“It took about a year to heal,” she said, “but it’s doing just fine now.”
Sedghizadeh hopes to have other researchers confirm his findings and thus encourage more doctors and dentists to talk with patients about the oral health risks associated with the widely used drugs. The results confirm the suspicions of many in the oral health field, he said.
“Here at the School of Dentistry, we’re getting two or three new patients a week that have bisphosphonate-related ONJ,” he said, “and I know we’re not the only ones seeing it.”
Paget's of the nipple, Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma and DCIS of the rt breast
Bloom-Richardson score 8/9, P53+ 60-70%, Ki-67+ 30-40%
Skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate lat-flap reconstruction and saline implants, 1/04
Chemo: FAC, five sessions every three weeks Feb.-May 04, then switched to HTC weekly for 12 weeks, June-Aug 04
Zometa every 6 months for osteopenia, started April 09
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Midwest Alice

Thanks Vicki, My Dr. at MD Anderson wants me to start taking Zometa x 3 with my herceptin. My local onc will see my bone scan and talk to me in three weeks and I will then start. I talked to my dentist and he explained to me about the slow healing issues after tooth extractions. He said oral surgens are getting these cases and learning how to deal with the issue. Also that I was in good dential health care and it was more or less an issue for people with poor dential health and if I had to have something done he would send me to someone who has experience dealing with it. So on the dential end not to look at Zometa as a problem and it would make my bones stronger.

Thanks for posting this issue I look forward to everyones input.
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Debbie L.

quote that was not included in all articles

Hi,

When this study was reported (USC and oral bisphosphonates), not all the articles included what was to me the most important statement to communicate to dentists and patients:

"As a school now, we don't have complications any more, we only have referrals," Sedghizadeh said. "We put patients on anti-microbial, anti-fungal rinse one week pre-operatively or post-operatively. If they have been on bisphosphonates six months or a year or longer, then we have a prevention protocol which has been very, very effective."

It sound like these are pretty simple precautions to take, and pretty effective ones, too.

The source of this quote was USNews and World report website but it was written up many places - I'm sure you could google and get more information. URL of the article from which the above quote came:

http://health.usnews.com/articles/he...w-trouble.html

Tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/72d2yn
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
harrie

I have a copy of that full article (Oral bisphosphonate use and the prevalence of osteonecrosis of the jaw) right here before me. Actually the research concerns oral biphosphonate, not IV (Zometa).
I wanted to go online to JADA to download the entire article and post it, but was unable to.
Basically the abstract says that oral biphosphantes were considered extremely low risk for ONJ in the past, but according to the abstract, there may be more of a risk then what was assumed.
Vicki, if you would like a copy of this entire article, you can either go to: http://jada.ada.org, then to the Jan 2009 issue.
Or...you can PM my with your address or FAX number and I would be happy to send you a copy of the article.

Also, on the bottom of the article, it gives contact info for Dr. Sedghizadenh. (ofc address as well as email)

Maryanne

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara

Last edited by harrie; 02-09-2009 at 12:53 AM..
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
atdec05

Thanks for the info. I am just starting an oral BPS since being diagnosed with osteoporosis (yet another chemo/rads side affect). I was told too that it was more risky taking IV BPS, but it seems oral can be just as bad.

- Anna

Stage I - DX 9/2005
ER/PR-, HER2+, grade 3, DCIS, IDC multi-focal (1.05cm)
DD 4 A/C finished Jan 31, 2006
Herceptin weekly finished Jan 31, 2007
recurrence to chest wall on last month of Herceptin
Stage 3B - 3/15/07 - 2 carcinomas in dermal lymphatic
Rads finished 6/5/07
12x TH finished 9/10/07
12/07 - Clear scan!
3/08 - 4 month Melatonin trial
1/09 - osteoperosis -
start Alendronate
2/09 - 4-month Simivastin trial
3/13 - take drug holiday after 5 years of Alendronate